“Maple Sugar Dream Weekend”

Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
altus ok
“Maple Sugar Dream Weekend”
Reviewed April 1, 2008

The Stoweflake Resort was fabulous!! We loved the outdoor hot tub with snowflakes drifting down, the spa facilities were extraordinary. Also enjoyed a day of snowshoeing and visiting a sugar house to see how maple syrup is made. Rode the horsedrawn sleigh. Everything at the Stoweflake was topnotch.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank arciero

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Boston
Reviewed March 18, 2008

Spent an enjoyable weekend in ski season with two children. Check in was seamless. We had the lowest category room and it was very clean, well laid out and fully functional. Amenities were all in great condition, especially the impeccable spa.

Breakfast in Charlie B's was fresh and fairly priced (for Stowe prices), real maple syrup, attentive service.

Overall feel of the property is one of order, cleanliness and focused on guests' needs.

Only criticism is the Stoweflake Dollars program which is a bit vague and seems to be administered arbitrarily, although generous.

• Liked — Cleanliness, spa
  • Disliked — affinity plan, frost heaves!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 21, 2008

I loved the property, service, and activities offered at Stoweflake. I was a little surprised, then, at the simplicity of the rooms. I thought there would be a bit more luxury in them to match that of the rest of the resort. The rooms on the first floor could have had a bit more privacy - they have big windows that look out onto the parking lot. When other guests had forgotten to close the shades I could easily see into their rooms. It made me a little nervous, safety-wise.

Great rate at $10 for a yoga class. Cheaper than most in NYC.

Overall a very positive experience.

• Liked — Great outdoor jacuzzi!
  • Disliked — Rooms were plain; rest of the place was above average.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 13, 2008

We enjoyed our week-end getaway at the Stoweflake Resort. The staff was friendly and efficient, the room (#307, overlooking the courtyard) was spacious and comfortable, and the fireplace much appreciated. There was some noise (music) on Saturday night, but not loud enough to disturb our sleep. Still, if this is a concern, simply request a room away from the reception hall. The front desk clerks were very accomodating and helpful. Overall, a very pleasant and enjoyable experience. Will probably return this summer or fall.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed February 4, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Stoweflake in late January to go cross country skiing, and snow shoeing, as well as relax.

The cross country ski trail on the resort's property is average at best as well as the bike trail path directly across the street. They are both free, but neither were daily machine groomed trails. Both of these trails were fine for show shoeing. I would instead recommend the Trapp Family Nordic Center which is a short drive (about 5 mins.) up the mountain on the Trapp Family Lodge's property. The trails there are daily groomed and were the best trails in the area.

The Stoweflake was excellent for relaxtion. The onsite spa was nice, perhaps a little more expensive than I am used to, as most of the prices are twice as expensive as previous spas I have been too, but it provided a very relaxing environment, nevertheless.

The facility also has an indoor, and outdoor pool, an outdoor jacuzzi, a sauna, a ping pong table, indoor volleyball court, and a very nice workout room. There were two restaurant's - Charlie B's and the Winfield's Bistro. Charlie B's was good for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Winfield's was more upscale having recieved the AAA 4 diamond award. I enjoyed the food at both restaurants with no complaints. I like trying new food's and would certainly eat at Winfield's again--The French Onion soup was the best I've ever had (and that's saying alot)...I had the Pheasant for dinner, and Baked Alaskan for dessert both good choices. For the average diner, this is a good restaurant to take your wife or girlfriend for a nice evening out. The wine selection was extensive and I think that was the best asset at Winfield's.

Also, a very helpful service was provided by the concierge, to help plan activities in the area. If you need help with what to do, they will call attractions for you and book activities, and call taxi services to pick you up.

Finally, we stayed in the standard King size room, and it was clean and comfortable. We experienced an issue with the toilet not flushing, and a serviceman was there within 30 minutes to resolve the issue for us.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — On site cross country ski trails were average at best
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
long Island,NY
Reviewed January 30, 2008

I will begin by saying my friend and I were very excited to go to the spa while our men skied. First off when we entered no one showed us around the spa to show us where the lockers were or how they work, and after we changed we were told “we need you”. Then after a lengthy conversation on the phone about wanting women masseuses and being assured we would get one, my friend gets a man. So we proceeded to our spa session…which by NY standards was less than mediocre. The masseuses were very nice but that’s not what you pay for is it? So we moved on to our Aromatherapy manicure that was 45 dollars. It was a 10 dollars NY manicure plus a fancy cream, and on top of that I got the worst bubbles in the nail polish that I have ever seen in my life. A 13 year old or my husband could paint them better. He even commented that although he doesn’t know much about manicures they look horrendous and couldn’t believe they would let me walk out like that. After the manicure we just asked to have out nails painted clear for fear of bubbles! It just might have been my manicurist because my friend’s nails were not that bad although they did chip in one day. It appears that everyone does everything there... a manicurist that does facials and blows out hair? I’ve never seen that. FYI.. If you see your manicurist places your hand flat on the table to paint your nails and not hold your hand to do it run….or ask for someone else. I should have known. I’ll be trying Topnotch

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank maipn1
stephanyk, General Manager, Vice President at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 7, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to express your feelings on your recent experience at the Spa at Stoweflake. We always appreciate comments and suggestions from our guests. Our goal is to please our guests and make their stay with us a pleasant experience.

I have reviewed your concerns with the Spa management team and have confirmed that more attention to detail is taken. We are committed to providing an outstanding spa experience and maintaining our AAA 4-diamond status in which we are so proud.

If you’d like, I am personally available to discuss your experience further. Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting your return visit.

Sheri Baraw-Smith
General Manager & Vice President
UK
Reviewed January 28, 2008

As UK travellers we thought that the Stoweflake Mountain Resort is in a lovely part of New Eng , however if at all possible this resort should be avoided if they have a "wedding" taking place & on our stay there was a huge "wedding" under way when we arrived on a Sat pm as part of a tour so we didnt get a choice of when to stay there.

Our stay happened to arrive us at the Stoweflake on a Sat & could see full well that a "wedding" was going on as the bride & groom were proudly outside with many family/friends inside & outside when we checked in. Because of this we asked the friendly staff if we could be at all situated in a room away from the "wedding" party so she kindly gave us a "court-yard" room which was very clean & comfortable but unfortunately it was on the ground floor so during the early hours of the morning we had a bunch of young members talking & laughing outside of our room clearly guests of the "wedding" party who we realized the next morning were staying in the next room to us. They were very rude & wouldnt leave when politely asked to keep the noise down once outside our room at 3.00am then again at 5.00am so we didnt have a good nights sleep!

I spoke to the management the following morning to complain & was informed that I should of called security. Well if this was the case then where was security? This was a ground-floor room so surely security should of been patrolling the area.

It was a disppointing stay in such a nice resort & we were given a complimentary bottle of wine for the inconvenience.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple