“Relaxing getaway”

Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
VT
“Relaxing getaway”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Stoweflake had great customer service. Everyone on staff was pleasant and helpful. The spa was top-notch. I made a reservation for a massage which was amazing. They had robes, lockers, showers, and lots of toiletries to use. The mineral and waterfall pools were relaxing. The rooms were spacious and we loved the fireplace! Overall a great experience.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I went here for 2 days, our first trip away from kids in 2 years. I called ahead to book spa for us as well. We checked in and walked around and went to check out the spa, which was very nice. BUT, they did not have our reservation ( although I spoke with a gal on the phone for almost 20 minutes booking everything). We rescheduled, but times were a bit later than originally planned. We ended up having to cancel the later treatments because they were "running late". Very disappointing..
The original call to the spa said that we would get $50 off each massage! Wow! But to my dismay, they said that " No one in the Spa would have said that!"....... Well someone did.
We did get 20 % off.
Don't get me wrong, HOTEL staff was AWESOME. If we didn't deal with the mistakes at the Spa, I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Our room was near the gym and spa which was convenient.
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the hotal as part of a fly drive holiday around New England. We did not really know what to expect and were very impressed with the service received at reception and the offer of free hot drinks and biscuits in the main area in front of a large open fire - very relaxing after a lengthy journey. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable with storage space and the ability to lodge valuable articles at reception in their safe. All of the staff we met were very very friendly and made you feel welcomed without it being over the top - they were very natural. We ate dinner in the Bar and had breakfast there too - all of which was well presented, well served and good value for money. We also took the opportunity to use the Black Cap Cafe in the town and it was very very good - nice place to breakfast in an older style of coffee house. Very good location for the mountains and driving around

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
StoweflakeGM, Owner at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Steve-Marilyn,

My family and I believe it's the people who make the difference in guest experience at the Stoweflake. So, thank you for acknowledging our staff in your review! I will certainly share your accolades with our reception staff. I also see you gave Cleanliness the highest rating. It's no secret that our Housekeeping staff is excellent. I'll pass this review along to them as well.

The chilly days of autumn beckon a warm fire, hot tea and cookies. In fact, our cookies are home made and baked fresh every day. I'm also glad to see you enjoyed our own Charlie B.'s Pub and Restaurant. It's also a perfect place to relax by a fire.

Thank you for taking time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. I hope you will choose Stoweflake in your future plans. It was certainly our pleasure to have you both as our guests.

Sheri Baraw Smith, General Manager, VP and co-owner, Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2012

We have stayed here before, nine years ago and six years ago and it was just as cosy as we remembered it. Lovely fire in the lounge and free hot drinks and cookies in the afternoon from 3-5. We had a lovely room and an excellent coffeemaker. Loads of space for clothes, cases etc. The only thing which would improve it was to install a flatscreen TV as the old television was worn out and the picture was awful. However we didn't visit Stowe to watch TV. We enjoyed Charlie B's for evening meals and also visited several restaurants nearby for breakfast and dinner too. Loads of parking. Would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank GandMFisher
Dear GandMFisher,

Thank you for sharing your positive experience on TripAdvisor. It sounds like you had a fantastic birthday week. It was certainly our pleasure to have you stay with us again. I love that you used the word "cosy" to describe us. I completely agree. Our lounge area is quite the humming spot during fireside tea and cookies each afternoon. I'm so happy you enjoyed it and our on-site restaurant, Charlie B.'s.

While I appreciate your comment regarding not coming to Stowe for TV since there is so much to do ... you'll be glad to know we are upgrading our TV's to flat screens this coming year! Again, I am thrilled you had such a wonderful stay and I look forward to seeing you on your next holiday.

Sheri Baraw Smith, General Manager, VP and co-owner.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had stayed at Stoweflake with a conference years ago and was excited to bring my husband up there finally. As it was very crowded with leaf peepers, we were given a room at the far end of the hotel, closer to the pub. That section of the hotel looks very old. The decor is dated. The mirror in the room had old spots where the silver was wearing off. The heat element in the hall was very noisy. In the middle of the night, it woke me. It sounded like someone rattling keys and then turning on a dryer. Bring earplugs.

The room had two double beds and one of them was well past its prime. My husband thinks the box spring might have been broken. We ended up both sleeping in the bed that still had some support left. Not super comfy.

My last stay was really nice- lovely room in the more updated section of the hotel with a very comfortable bed. This one was a disappointment. On the bright side, the supplied shampoo was lovely! And the room was clean. Just old and tired.

I believe they were charging $400 for the weekend nights. I'd be really unhappy if I paid $400 for this room- even in the height of the season.

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the pub are older. Ask for a newer room- closer to the spa or sports area.
1 Thank Marcia B
Groton, Vermont
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My two night stay was for a two day business meeting. The room was very clean and comfortable. No time to indulge myself at the spa, although it was beckoning to me! The staff were all extremely courteous and helpful and the food was outstanding!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Maragaret S,

Thank you so much for taking time to share your great experience with us during your conference! My family and I take great pride in our staff and your glowing comments have been shared with all. Thank you again and we hope you'll return soon!

Sheri Baraw Smith, General Manager, VP, and co-Owner.
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Cosy rooms and a nice feel to the place. The bar/restaurants are nice with really great food. The facilities of the hotel (spa, pool etc) are excellent too. We really couldn't fault the place. The bar staff were also very friendly and recommended some great things to do in the area for us, including an awesome drive to the top of the nearby mountain peak.

• Stayed September 2012