“Stay away from the spa!”

Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
boston
“Stay away from the spa!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed there for a long weekend from July 27-July 30. The hotel room was nice. The front desk staff was exceptional. The restaurant was horrible. We went in because we weren't too hungry, we just wanted some appetizers and a couple drinks. We sat at the bar for just a few minutes and had to leave because there as a really horrible odor. We had spa appointments on July 29, and my husband had welts on his body from his massage. When I saw him, I wanted him to go back to have at least the automatic 18% tip taken off, but he didn't want to go back. All and all, not worth the almost $1000 for this long weekend.

2 Thank worldtraveler007027
StoweflakeGM, Manager at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear worldtraveler,

As Spa Director, I appreciate direct feedback from our guests. It gives us the opportunity to improve and learn about client experience. Thank you so much for acknowledging the excellent service you received from our Front Desk staff and that you were satisfied with your accommodations. The

I would like to address your concerns surrounding your husband's treatment, as I did not have the opportunity at the time of his service. Massage has a detoxifying effect on the body which at times can lead to redness or "welt-like" release shown on the skin. Please do not hesitate to contact me so I can gain further insight into your situation. Please reach me directly at 802-760-1139 or if you prefer e-mail: surindac@stoweflake.com Again, thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Surinda Cavagaugh, Spa Director, Stoweflake Mountain Resort and Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Westchester, NY
Reviewed July 19, 2012

My bf have stayed here about 6 times in the past 3 years. It has become one of our favorite long-weekend getaways and we have come to really feel at home there. We had the pleasure of staying in a Spa Premier Guestroom on our first two stays, which was so nice and comfortable with a king bed, fireplace, and jacuzzi tub. The next few times we stayed in a Deluxe Guestroom on the first floor which was much smaller and didn't have as nice a view, but was comfortable enough. On our last stay over Memorial Day Weekend 2012, we opted for one of the townhouses. I was hesitant because the townhouses are on the other side of the property and seem far removed from all the action, but it turned out to be my favorite room so far. Our unit was just one room on the ground floor. The room had a ton of space and was so comfortable. It had a fireplace too which wasn't working, although it was warm out so we probably wouldn't have used it much anyway. There was a large patio that led right out to the lawn. We enjoyed walking right from our room to the volleyball and badminton nets, tennis courts, and pond. We think we were the only ones staying in the townhouses that weekend as we didn't see any other cars, so we had lots of privacy. It was like having our own backyard right on the property, which we loved.

We've always had good experiences at the restaurants. Charlie B's has a great atmosphere and serviceable food. We have sat by the fireplace in the winter and on the deck in the summer. The food is basically bar food but it's never let me down.

The pool is really nice as well, and there is a separate hot tub. I love getting a drink at the poolside cafe and reading on a lounge chair. It is the perfect atmosphere to just kick back and relax. The view is beautiful with the mountains all around you. Sometimes you can see the glider planes being pulled up and released right above you, which is fun to watch.

One of our favorite times here was our hot air balloon ride in June 2010. This was an amazing, unique experience that we are so thankful to have had. The balloon company staff made it so enjoyable from start to finish - from watching them blow up the balloon, to being treated to the customary champagne toast in a neighboring cow field where we landed. Awesome experience that I would recommend to anyone.

I haven't taken much advantage of the spa, but I did have a massage on one visit and I'm sorry to say it was sub par. The massage therapist didn't seem too enthusiastic, like it was the end of her day and she just didn't care. She even forgot to do one of my arms! In place of that arm she did my abdomen, which was weird. Too bad, because the spa itself is really nice and I would love to spend more time there.

All in all, this is one of my favorite resorts. Location is also great, only a few miles down the road from downtown Stowe, and across the street from some country type stores and a farmer's market on Sundays.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dairus
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed July 17, 2012

I have to agree with the earlier reviewer. This hotel is nowhere near a 4 star hotel. So I don't how the management was able to secure this rating. The service was great at times and poor at times. I will not likely go back here again. Our room smelled when we arrived, the seal on the double pane window was broken so the window was impossible to see the view that was available. The front desk's directions to the room were inaccurate. The food was average. I must say, that I was very disappointed in the venue. This hotel is located right on the side of the road and the parking lot goes right up to the building so the landscaping was ok, nothing to write home about. I can not recommend this resort.

1 Thank Tim A
Easthampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 15, 2012

If you are expecting a lovely setting - beware! The majority of the rooms in the main building overlook the parking lot! The rooms are dated, the bed was lumpy our pillows were thin and old and the restaurant was understaffed, overpriced and the food was dreadful! If you cant find an alternative resort in Stowe save your money and find a motel.

3 Thank donju
StoweflakeGM, General Manager at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear donju,

I am truly disappointed to read that you didn't find value during your stay at Stoweflake. Please accept my apologies that we failed to meet your expectations during your recent visit. My staff and I work hard to bring what we hope will be an enjoyable and rewarding experience to every guest.

As we are always looking for ways to improve, please contact me by telephone personally so I may personally address any specific concerns you had about the restaurant and your accommodations.

Sheri Baraw Smith,VP, General Manager, Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa
Woodbury, Vermont
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I stayed at the Stoweflake for the first time on July 1st. We arrived a few hours early, thinking our room would not be ready, but that was Ok because we were going to get a bite to eat at Charlie B's till the room was ready. Upon arrival, the room was not ready, but the gentleman at the front desk actually upgraded us for free to a better more luxurious room that was ready. The room was very nice with a king bed, marble countertops with double sinks, wetbar, and fireplace. I was so happy! Only one drawback was the fireplace did not have really any flames in it, but hey, its July, who needs it really! The pools, jacuzzi, and property in general were very nice! I did not get a chance to take advantage of anything the spa had to offer but hope to soon as we are going back this week! This resort, and the excellent time we had in Stowe inspired me to ask my girlfriend to marry me during our stay! Happy to say she said yes!!! Whew! I would, and have recommended this resort to friends and family already!

1 Thank SEAN M
StoweflakeGM, General Manager at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Congratulations to you both! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and that lifelong memories were made. We appreciate the feedback regarding your accommodations and are pleased to know you found them to be comfortable. It was our pleasure having you as our guests. Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Best wishes,

Sheri Baraw Smith, VP, General Manager, Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2012

I cannot even imagine who these people bribed to get a 4 star rating! This place is a 2.5 3 star max!
We arrived in the afternoon and where greeted by a not so friendly receptionist, in a very run down lobby. The moment I walked in I knew, I was in the wrong hotel! The lobby is tacky, run down, ugly furniture, excess of wood.....wow....horrid!!!!!
While checking in, we asked for the internet code and were informed that our room had NO WIRELESS INTERNET!!! Really!?!?!? The woman suggested we plug our computers in with an internet cable!?!?! Has she not heard of I Pads or I Phones. I asked if we could get a room with wireless and she told us the cost would be $50 dollars more......outrageous! We said no and proceded to our room.
The room was large, with two double beds, but wow, again, whats up with the tacky 80's furniture. Peach and cream cheap poliester comforters, and tube tvs!?!?! The bathroom was large as well but reallly run down. We immediatley called and asked to be changed because we are a couple, we need a queen or king bed, not two doubles. Did the lady at the front desk not see that!??!? She changed us to a small room with a queen bed, a chair, a desk, a small sink and fridge and an old school TV. The room was nice, but again, super outdated, and NOT AT ALL a 4 star resort. Same tacky comforters, large wood furniture.....etc! This room did have wireless internet, and the sleep quality was good. What surprised me is that the hotel was totally empty, and the lady who checked us in did not even have the courtesy to send us to a nicer room from the beginning!

We took a stroll to the spa and it is super overpriced. Also looked tacky and run down.

On the up side, the hotel is well located with in Stowe, parking is free and there are plenty of places on the property to lock your bikes. Thats where the positives end. Over all I would never return to this overpriced, overstared, no service dump!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank c21579
Dear c21579,

I am very sorry to see that your experience was not up to par. I do appreciate each and every review and I take each one seriously. My staff and I work hard to bring what we hope will be an enjoyable and rewarding experience to every guest. I will keep your comments in mind as we look for ways to improve the quality of the products and services we offer here at the resort. In fact, we are currently researching options for wireless internet to be available throughout the property.

Sheri Baraw Smith, VP, General Manager, Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa
Tavernier
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I felt very welcome here. I enjoyed the staff a lot. I liked my room's decor and comfort. I thought the spa toiletries were really good, with a rosemary and mint scent, nice packaging. I was there for a big family reunion. We had 3 meals there and they were all very good. One was indoors in a large room that felt inviting. Dinner was served smoothly and quickly. Acoustics were nice. Not noisy. Another evening we had a buffet dinner outside on the lawn. This was lovely! The food was really good, too. We had a fabulous breakfast brunch buffet the last day. It was in a bright room with garden access, lots of windows, comfortable round tables, elegant table wares. The outdoor pool was clean and the right temperature. The indoor pool had too many chemicals for me, but there was a warning sign about this. I don't know why they have to keep it like this...maybe because it is warm water. The exercise rooms were very good. No smell, well maintained. The locker room was nice, with spa products, a swim suit spinner, great shower heads, hair dryers, sauna, steam, the works. The balloon rides were fun, too! The location was convenient. The restaurant was very slow service when I ate there, the host ended up bringing my waffle about 50 minutes after I ordered. Waiter: no where in sight.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family