“Nice place, not too expensive”

The Mountaineer Inn at Stowe
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Exton, Pennsylvania
“Nice place, not too expensive”
Reviewed March 23, 2008

I'm a little late on this review, but I was updating my TripAdvisor profile and realized I never posted it, so here we go...

First, a little information: the trip to VT was to prepare for my March 8 destination wedding in Stowe. My mother and I spent our time making final wedding arrangements, while my brother was along to go skiing.

I stayed at this inn for four days between Christmas and New Year. I chose it because of the fact that I was able to get a room large enough for three people for under $200 a night. It was one of the cheapest that I could find for that holiday week at a place that didn't look like a complete hole.

The other hotel that I seriously looked at booking was the Best Western in Waterbury, and I chose this one because of its location. They were the same price per night, and this inn is actually in Stowe. The Best Western is a 15 minute drive away from the town. The Mountaineer in is very close to Stowe Mountain Resort, and the Stowe shuttle bus has a stop right next door. My brother took advantage of the shuttle to go up to the mountain, and was glad that the stop was so close by.

Now, about the Inn. The room was very nice and clean. It's definitely not the Plaza, but if that's the type of thing your'e looking for then you are in the wrong place. It was a nice size for three people, at no time did I feel cramped. There was a balcony outside the room, which was nice. The balcony is attached to all the other rooms though, so don't go leaving stuff out there.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The pool and hot tub were nice, nothing really noteworthy there. The breakfast was a pretty standard buffet, pancakes/bacon/eggs/ etc. Once again, not bad, but nothing really noteworthy. The highlight was the free WiFi that was available in the common room. Bring your laptop. There is also a computer that is free for the guests to use.

Overall, I was happy with my stay here. I would reccomend this inn to groups of people who are coming to Stowe to ski and need somewhere affordable to sleep at night.

• Liked — The WiFi internet access
  • Disliked — The steep hill to get back out on the road. Not friendly in snow.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank marvina1216

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Hebrew first
maine
Reviewed March 4, 2008

I stayed here here on a Sunday night and it was a definate ok experience. The room was clean and simple. The hot tub was a very welcome experience after a cold day of skiing. Beautiful location, right on a river with mountain views. The staff was pleasant enough. The breakfast was decent, though it was slow to be restocked and the coffee was like hot water (when it finally did arrive.) The price was higher when I called than what the website said. You can tell the rooms have fairly thin walls: in the morning we could hear an alarm clock going off continuously in a room located one floor and a few doors away from our room. However, we stayed on a not busy night, so it was fine and noise wasn't a problem, though I can see how it COULD be a problem.

• Liked — location, view, hottub
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Bedford, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 11, 2008

We were woken at 3:30 am on Saturday night by an arriving large school group, which of course took a while to settle down (much tromping of feet overhead and loud voices). This went on for about an hour. We found out that this was no accident, it was the scheduled arrival time of the group, so management knew exactly what the guests were in for. We stayed three nights, but when we asked for some kind of discount for the Saturday night inconvenience, we were told that if we didn't like it, we shouldn't stay there. We won't stay there again, that's for sure. It seems to me that when you pay over $100 for a room, you shouldn't expect to be woken up and kept up in the middle of the night.

I think the other reviews that state this hotel is only concerned with large groups are correct.

• Liked — Jacuzzi, pool, lobby
  • Disliked — Floodlight illuminated room all night, large group arrival at 3:30 am
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DPH55

Travelers are raving about these Stowe hotels

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 29, 2007

This is the second time I stayed at this place mostly because I had forgotten of my first one, otherwise I would not have come back there.
We stayed there for the Xmas holiday weekend, for a bargain of 72/night.
The room was comfortable and also had a small porch facing the main street. Room service was inexistent! For 2 days in a row there was no housekeeping until 4pm when we got back from the slopes and we had to request someone to come over and clean the room.
My previous stay, we checked-in around 11pm and our room was dirty from the previous costumers!!!!!!
But the most disgusting thing of all was the "continental breakfast" served. Coffee, but only sugar, no sweetner, old mushy cereal, tasteless muffins, hard as rock bagels, orange/apple juice and that's it!
The pool and hot tub were actually OK, as well as the common areas and the internet in the lobby.

• Liked — Location- less than 5 minutes from the slopes
  • Disliked — Breakfast, housekeeping
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank bcmitaly
bel air, md
Reviewed December 2, 2007

My family and I had previously stayed at the Mountaineer inn, while it was once a enjoyable stay, it was absolutly horrendous and a complete waste of money this time. Upon arriving we were immediatly charged for the full cost of the rooms, since this is not the normal practice I was a little Leary. We quickly understood why. Shortly after settling it, we learned that there was to be a wedding taking place at the hotel amoung some of the staff. There was loads of guests staying at the hotel who were not paying for their stay therefore did not care how much nosie they made, how much space they were taking up, and we in general extremly rude to the other guests. all of the facilites were used up because of the wedding so other paying guests could go nowhere but their rooms. That was not the only nuisance, while the chambermaids were very nice and polite, the young lady who ran the front desk was rude, uncooperative, and had no people skills. Why they gave her the front desk job im not quite sure. Many of the paying guests did not stay long after this. i this hotel has lost its heart, and the management team would rather cater to large crowds then families. while i love the area of stowe, i would never stay here again. what you get is what you pay for and this place is CHEAP and shows it.

• Stayed November 2007
3 Thank ashcakes86
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed December 1, 2007

We had stayed there 12 years ago when it was "family" oriented after it had just gotten remodeled. It was great then so we decided to try it again. What a difference 12 years makes. None of the rooms had been updated since then and all the furniture was rather on the shabby side although the rooms were clean and the staff was nice. They had booked a Jamaican wedding at the same time we were there without telling us, so we could change our minds about staying there if we did not want to be part of the wedding ruckus. Immediately when I arrived - they hit my credit card for the entire "stay" amount - so that I could not change my mind about the booking. That is the first time that was ever asked of me in staying at an accomodation. This was BEFORE the wedding party arrived. After they arrived - then the "fun" really started. They took over the entire place. You could not go into the lobby because all the wedding activities took place there. What was once a family oriented motel has now turned into a motel that caters to the "large" group. So if you are in a large group staying there - it may be great, but if you are planning on using it for a family vacation - I would stay away. It is pet friendly though which is nice.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank TheSaintBaltimore
Andover, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 23, 2007

OK, so maybe i'm a bit biased. However, being active duty military, the Mountaineer inn gives great discounts! However, this is my third time staying here and I will never stay anywhere else in Stowe. The mountaineer inn is located on route 107, closer to Stowe Mountain resort than to the center of town. Nestled off the main road, this place manages to preserve a quaintness and serenity that usually are present for a much higher prices. Most rooms here are 99 a night, which is a pretty good price for Stowe.

One of the nicest facets of this place is the 20-person hot tub (indoor) located next to the indoor pool. The hot tub is AMAZING and looks especially nice in the winter (when the snow is falling). The rooms aren't anything special, but are always very clean and tidy. The bathrooms are spacious, and actually seem too big for the size of the rooms. This place definately skips most of the frills, but for most travelers, it will meet their needs.

I will definately be back here soon. If you love skiing, its a great alternative to mountainside lodging. There is also a creek that runs by the Mountaineer inn, and outdoor decks/patios for most rooms. For the price, its a great value you cant miss.

• Liked — Value!
  • Disliked — Maybe my room location this stay--near an exit door.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple