“Best Vacation Ever”
Review of Brass Lantern Inn

Brass Lantern Inn
Ranked #2 of 22 Stowe B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 1, 2012

MaryAnn and George were the best innkeepers and breakfast was absolutely amazing! We will definitely be returning here :).

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Brasslantern, Owner at Brass Lantern Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2012

And we thank you for the kind words and promise to come back (a true testament to our efforts). We hope your new artwork from Stowe provides warm memories of this area!
Thanks so much, Mary Anne and George

Reviewed January 28, 2012

We stayed at the Brass Lantern in as the last day of our 4 day vacation in Stowe, VT. Right upon entering I realized I should have booked the entire stay with them. The innkeeper George's greeted us warmly and you can tell that he loves his job. The place itself I would say is the most peaceful bed and breakfast I have ever stayed at in my life. It is cozy, warm (but not too warm), quiet (but not too quiet) and just unbelievably calming.

We stayed at the Spruce Peak Room which had unbelievable sunlight from all four windows and a view of the mountain from one window. The room itself was exactly what we were looking for. I'd say the best part about the room outside of its light airy warmth was that the thermostat actually worked! I'm sick of going into hotels or B&Bs where you cannot control the temperature and as my boyfriend and I like it very cold at night we were finally able to achieve that by setting the thermostat correctly so that we did not freeze but were super comfortable. The gas fireplace was a real treat as well.

The only thing I would say was bad was the water pressure, it was like showering in a sprinkler. But you can't win em' all right? It's an old house so I don't expect luxury, I just expect clean quiet peace and that was exactly what I received.

George's morning breakfast was pretty good also. I loved his apple crisp and bacon and the pancakes were great too!

The downstairs is really really nice and relaxing as well. My boyfriend and I spent the evening looking at books about Stowe from the early 1800s and playing games out on the living room couch. We were there during the week so we basically had the place to ourselves, it almost felt like we were living there! It was so nice, I plan on returning whenever I can save up enough money to head up there and enjoy a peaceful relaxing stay yet again!

Room Tip: Any room in this inn is great. :-)
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Brasslantern, Owner at Brass Lantern Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Thank You to two of the most personable guests we have hosted. I very much appreciated the opportunity to talk to you about food, restaurants and the hospitality industry. You two would be great Innkeepers and what a great dream to even consider! Remember my offer to come back and experience some of what we do from the other side of the Inn!

I too wished we would have had more time to chat and hope you two can come back and we can pick up where we left off. And you can meet Mary Anne, who was out of town at a National Bed & Breakfast Convention (picking up more ideas to bring back to our Inn and share with our guests).

And thanks for the heads up regarding the shower. Yes, an 1810 farmhouse and our goals to remain a "Green Hotel in the Green Mountain State" (with low flow shower heads) must have provided for this compromise. We will look at options available, including a new shower head, low flow but perhaps with better spread(?).

While your stay was brief I very much enjoyed the opportunity to meet and get to know you two. Best to you both,
George and Mary Anne

Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed at the Brass Lantern as part of a trip up the east coast to celebrate our honeymoon. Mary Ann and George left a congratulations sign on our door and chocolates and flowers in our room...they were both so warm and welcoming to us when we arrived and, although it is a cliche, they really made us feel totally at home. We stayed in the Mt Mansfield Room - we would stay in that room again just for the fire! The bed was comfortable, the view amazing, the perfect room to come back to after a long day skiing!

The Brass Lantern Inn was spotless clean and is in a great location in Stowe, just down from the main street so as to be nice and quiet but also a stones throw from all the main attractions.

Mary Anne recommended AJ's for ski rental (just on Mountain Rd) - we went in a little bit clueless but were greeted with really friendly, helpful staff (the money off coupon from Maryanne helped!) We rented ski clothes as well as the ski's, boots, poles etc.

George and Mary Anne treated us like relatives, taking a real interest in our stay and providing lots of information and assistance for our every need.....it was like saying goodbye to our auntie and uncle when we left such was their warmness! The food was great and the little touches made the difference (weather report at breakfast, different breakfasts each morning, the selection of tea and coffee downstairs to help yourself to along with the afternoon cookies!, the homliness of the communal front rooms with log fire, fridge and snacks in the room etc etc)

We loved every minute - A great stay, thoroughly reccomended, you wont be disappointed!!

David and Sally Richardson

Room Tip: Mt Mansfield room is beautiful - cosy, comfortable and an amazing fire!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Brasslantern, Owner at Brass Lantern Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2012

David and Sally,
We very much appreciate your very kind words, warm conversations by the living room fireplace, and most importantly for trusting us to provide you with a memorable stay for your honeymoon! And we too felt like we were sending off our favorite niece and nephew back home after a wonderful stay, wishing you could stay even for another night. We were very, very touched by your sentiments and references as auntie and uncle! We really can't think of an adequate way to thank you for your comments except to say "Thanks" and "hope to see you again" - perhaps on an anniversary! We miss you already...

Cheers,

Reviewed January 21, 2012

This was our second visit to Stowe in six years but our first stay in the Brass Lantern Inn. We elected to stay in the Brass Lantern primarily because of the positive trip advisor reviews and we were not dissapointed. The owners, Mary Anne & George were indeed wonderful hosts and made us feel extremely welcome from the minute we walked in the front door. The Inn was excellent with the right blend of old world New England charm and contemporary convenience. We arrived on December 22nd for a five night stay over Christmas, hoping for deep snow and a winter wonderland experience. Stepping off the plane in Burlington, the sun was splitting the skies and not snowflake in sight. George did tell us after we arrived that snow was expected that night and he was not wrong. We woke next morning to a beautiful white winter vista. It snowed every day during our stay which is what we wanted. We stayed in the Mount Mansefield room which overlooked the mountain and we were again not dissapointed. The room was large, clean and had everything we needed to hand., Now to Georges famous breakfasts. What can I say, they were simply delicious and we looked forward to a new culinary experience each morning. One of the charms of the Inn was the sitting room where you could relax by the log burning fire and chat with other guests which is something you do not experience in a hotel. Mary Anne & George go out of their way to be extremely helpful; e.g. I had to call Hertz on an issue with our rental car and George handed me his cell phone and told me to make any call I needed and for this I was extremely grateful. Our trip to Stowe was over all too soon and our experience was wonderful. This was in no small part down to our stay in the Brass Lantern Inn. The Inn will definitely be our home on our next visit to Stowe. Mary Anne, George and Family, thanks for a truly wonderful time.

Anne & Jon Scott
Kinneff
Montrose
Scotland.

1  Thank anni44

Anne and Jon,

Thank you very much for the kind words regarding your stay at our B&B. It was an absolute pleasure to host you and we very much appreciate your recognition of our efforts to make your stay a wonderfully memorable experience. And your persistence in returning, especially after your challenges with the weather and Heathrow Airport the previous year will never be forgotten - Thanks!

You two added so much to the overall spirit and experience of our B&B with our other guests during your extended stay. It was as if we had these wonderful Assistant Innkeepers on hand to make sure the lively conversations and overall experience of our place was maintained even while we were out. It is great to hear that your experience and stay here provided you with an opportunity to connect with other travelers (and we agree perhaps in a way that would not be possible in a larger, more non-descript lodging experience).

And finally, we recognize that comments such as yours and others before challenges us and our dedicated staff to maintain a high level of service! We gratefully accept that challenge and hope we can host you again very soon!

Cheers,

Reviewed January 11, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful extended stay at the Brass Lantern Inn last October to celebrate my ‘special’ birthday amid the splendours of the Vermont Fall. Wow! What a welcome from owners Mary Anne and George: from the minute we arrived (Union Jack proudly unfurled beside the Stars and Stripes) to when they waved us off on our way back to Montreal, we were cosseted, entertained, informed and fed to Five Star Plus levels.

Where to begin? In a nutshell, this is high-end inn accommodation where every detail has been thought about, and where the proprietors give unerringly expert, unfailingly constant attention to guests. Yet it is refreshingly homely: we were struck by their genuine friendliness – and indeed that of the other guests, hailing as they did from all over the States (yet with a steady flow of fellow Brits and a goodly smattering of mainland Europeans). Conversations with fellow travellers were readily struck up, everyone swopping holiday stories and offering tips - reminding us of the old adage, that strangers are simply friends you haven’t met yet.

Mary Anne has an encyclopaedic grasp of the locality, and is happy to dispense advice, suggestions, maps and guide books to suit all tastes and activities, often spending time after breakfast to brief guests on their chosen outing that day. She’ll even book a restaurant for you. And speaking of breakfast… Forget the diet! George cooks everything fresh: pancakes, waffles, omelettes, the best quiche we’ve ever eaten, pumpkin bread, maple-cured (what else?) bacon – the list goes on. Our taste buds exploded with shock and awe, and our waistlines ballooned in the nicest possible way. It was all so good we ate it twice - as we were there for two weeks! (An interesting byline… The average stay was shorter than ours, most Americans seeming to keep on the move, perhaps because their holidays were shorter, whereas we wanted a reliable base from which to tour – and of course sample the delights of the nearby Von Trapp Lodge (more of which later!)). Self-service drinks are available from 7 am, with breakfast from 8.30, and an Afternoon Tea at 4.00, again self-service and featuring Mary Anne’s delicious home-bakes. If you wanted to stay in, she was more than happy for you to picnic in the dining room or games room, complete with fridge and coffee-maker (Shaw’s supermarket is conveniently situated just along the road and caters for all but the most eclectic tastes and thirsts).

The public rooms are elegant and plush, two of them, in fact: a beautiful, scrumptious
lounge and the afore-mentioned games room. On top of this, there’s a sun terrace overlooking a huge meadow and the distant Mount Mansfield (a must-do trip, either on foot for the hail and hearty, or via the scenic toll road for the more sedentary, but also enjoyable from the comforts of the Inn’s hot tub). The bedrooms are extremely spacious and comfortable. We had a week in Spruce Peak, followed by a week in Mt Mansfield, where I had my first viewing of The Sound of Music in high-definition Blu-Ray on the room’s system.

Stowe itself –a fifteen-minute walk away - is a pretty village: like so much of the States, it’s exactly like what you see in the movies. It’s perfectly placed for tours, visits and activities nearby and farther afield. It has three or four good restaurants and a similar number of cafes. If there was one slight drawback, we found the shopping experience somewhat limited (as throughout northern Vermont), not that that was high on our list of priorities. On Columbus weekend there was a superb arts and crafts fair high up on the Mountain Road, itself bristling with hotels, inns, bars and restaurants. Some guidebooks give the impression that it’s a bit on the tacky side, but that is exaggerated. Nor did we find the oft-mentioned traffic too much of a problem – but watch out for the infamous three-way junctions, which tend to be something of a free-for-all. For exercise, walk the Stowe Recreation Path, about 5-6 miles up and down the valley, running parallel to the Mountain Road.

We arrived to a weekend of dismal rain – and worryingly green foliage! Then (maybe it was our Sunday morning attendance at the Stowe Community Church, complete with bronzed preacher-man that did it) a glorious Indian summer set in, enticing us out to the meadow to sunbathe most afternoons for over a week. Hot days and cool nights worked their magic on the trees, which changed colour daily and fulfilled their promise of kaleidoscopic treasures, reaching a peak just before we left for home. We enjoyed many ‘leaf-peeping’drives along the highways and byways: Route 100 was wonderful for colour, so was Jay Peak. Basically, the Fall begins in the north and works it way down through the State; generally, the first two weeks in October are more or less guaranteed to be good, though with the world’s weather seemingly on its ear, who can tell? Two other locations stand out: Burlington (the biggest city) with a stunning waterfront, and the diminutive capital, Montpelier, little more than a glorified village – but with the best crafts shop we encountered anywhere slap bang in the main street (and a great diner nearby).

Sound of Music fans will inevitably want to head for the Von Trapp Lodge, a huge Alpine-style chalet hotel set in acres of forest with stunning views, owned and run by the famous von Trapps. We took the history tour – well worth it – which starts with a talk, takes in the family cemetery where Maria and Georg and other family members are buried, continues with an absorbing film about Maria, and ends with a Q & A session with a real von Trapp. We were lucky to have Johannes, the youngest of the three children Maria and Georg had together (i.e. in addition to the seven to which Maria was governess). After the tour your ticket entitles you to roam free around the estate. They also have a great bakery down the road, where you can sample the newly-created von Trapp beers either indoors or on a small terrace overlooking the valley below, and enjoy some lightish snacks and of course, cakes!

Now to the only bad bit of the trip… We had booked a birthday meal in the main restaurant at the von Trapp Lodge, billed on their website as offering fine dining, a wonderful culinary experience. We duly arrived sporting our glad rags, only to be told by the maitre d’ that the restaurant was offering buffet service only that night. What a letdown! The said buffet was all that one expects – and dreads – from the concept. I made the mistake of opting for Wienerschnitzel. Without boasting, I do know my Wienerschnitzels, from Bavaria and throughout Austria, and truly, it was the worst I’d ever tasted anywhere. Others may have had a different experience, but I certainly wouldn’t recommend it for that special meal: far too risky!

We flew with Swiss via Zurich into Montreal, our first time with the carrier, and were seriously impressed, even in economy: flying like it used to be thirty years ago. Good seats, reasonably good food, good service, clean and punctual aircraft. We had pre-booked a hire car with Hertz – excellent value at under £200 for the fortnight, a medium-sized car (automatic, of course) which came with a full tank of petrol included. The border crossing into the US was straightforward and took less than half-an-hour. One point which isn’t generally known: the ESTA is only required for arrivals by air and sea, but not overland, so we’d actually purchased it unnecessarily. Still, it holds good for two years, so we’ll hopefully be able to use it before it expires (California here we come!).

All-in-all, an unforgettable trip. Thank-you George and Mary Anne for making it so!

Room Tip: We stayed in both Mt Mansfield and Spruce Peak. Each has advantages: Spruce Peak was beautifully b...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lonelygoat
Brasslantern, Owner at Brass Lantern Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Ok, I have been considering how to respond to this wonderful review since first reading it and everything I have drafted as a response since seems woefully inadequate in comparison. We are, of course, absolutely thrilled to know that we were able to provide you with the setting and place for a wonderfully memorable trip. We hope that a sincere "Thank You" suffices in return for your very kind words regarding our opportunity to be of service to you!

Warmly,

Reviewed January 10, 2012

Yet again, stayed here for the 3rd year in a row with my wife and loved it. We have been staying there since George and Mary Anne took over the Inn and it keeps getting better and better. Everything from the rooms, the breakfast, the location....it all can't be beat.
Stay there. It's just that simple.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Thanks for the very kind words and the return visit. We truly feel like we are welcoming friends back home! And it was our pleasure to have you back now as Newlyweds! Thanks so much for sharing your photos and stories of your special day. Best Wishes!

Reviewed January 8, 2012

When I travel, I love staying at B&Bs and this is the best one I've ever stayed in (and it'll be extremely difficult to beat)! 10 stars out of 5. The house is very new and clean, and the decoration in the rooms were beautiful. My boyfriend and I had such trouble dragging ourselves out of bed and away from the house because it was just so comfortable and homely! Breakast every morning was absolutely delicious and so were the home-made cakes and cookies for tea.

Mary Anne and George are AMAZING hosts. They are always so bright and chirpy and made sure we had everything we needed to make our stay perfect. When I fractured my elbow mid-way during my vacation in Stowe, George drove all the way to the hospital to bring me back to the inn and Mary Anne looked after me so well. Despite the fractured elbow, my vacation in Stowe was absolutely amazing and a huge part of it was my stay here! I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for the kind words and for the incredibly positive, cheerful spirit you maintained even with being sidelined from your first day on. We are so fortunate to have had you and John here and we hope we can see you here again very soon.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,