“Stay at the Gables if you Love Country Inns” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Gables Inn

The Gables Inn
Ranked #6 of 23 Stowe B&B and Inns
Northeastern Pennsylvania
“Stay at the Gables if you Love Country Inns”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2009

We had the pure pleasure of staying at the Gables for 12 nights – some would call that a long stay during Christmas and New Year’s at a country inn or B&B. This was not the case at the Gables. It was truly a home away from home. After many years of travel all over the world we are writing our first review here on TripAdvisor.

We stayed in the Gables Suite in the main building. The bed was extremely comfortable and we enjoyed the hot tub and fireplace every day of our stay. We appreciated that the staff respected the idea of not changing out our linens every day but stayed true to the idea of conservation. They changed the linens as we asked. As in any old building, we occasionally heard noises in the adjacent rooms, but nothing that disturbed our rest.

Randy and Annette are wonderful hosts. They are extremely helpful with any request. They were forthcoming and friendly but they read carefully how much privacy we required and did not impose themselves in any way. We enjoyed getting to know them very much. One of the most unique and special features of the Inn is that the hosts offer a soup or snack every evening around 4:30 p.m. The guests and hosts sit together and enjoy delicious food and interesting conversation. It is a very relaxed and fun experience. There is no pressure to participate and we chose to do so about 50% of the time. Though we tend to be very private people we were happy to interact with the hosts and the guests on those occasions.

The breakfasts at the Gables met and exceeded all the positive reviews. The ingredients are extremely fresh and fascinating. The homemade Hollandaise sauce is incredible, as were all the seasonings and toppings. Randy is truly a wonderful chef as evidenced by the breakfasts and the evening appetizers. Annette and the staff were extremely accommodating and friendly. Watching Stowe wake up from the porch dining area was a treat we looked forward to every morning.

We really enjoyed Yogi, the wonderful 11-year old Golden Retriever pet of the inn. He is not, in any way, in your face. He does welcome you after a day of skiing or other activity, and he loves to plop down at your feet while you read and enjoy the evening’s delectable offering by Randy.

If you are looking for posh appointments and a relatively sterile environment, the Gables Inn is not for you. If you love country inns with character, if you enjoy a superior breakfast, and if you appreciate exceptional proprietors, RESERVE NOW at the Gables Inn. If you understand all that is Stowe, this inn is not to be missed. It is a diamond near the heart of Stowe.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Teresa_and_Bob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
WVA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2008

I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Gables Inn, in Stowe, while I was in Vermont on business. My secretary handled all of my bookings so I had no idea what to expect.

I was greeted at the door by a charming young couple, who turned out to be the owners of the establishment. They were ever on hand for assistance and information. One one occasion Randy, the husband, drove me to a meeting when a local taxi company had no car available.

The restaurant at the inn only serves breakfast, unfortunately. The food was great, though.

In short, if you are looking for a place to stay and you need something warm, rustic and homey the Gables Inn is it.

• Liked — Convenient to downtown Stowe
  • Disliked — Only serves breakfast in the restaurant
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank WVA09
Boston , MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2008

I found The Gables Inn this September while searching google for Inns in Stowe, VT. I booked a room for three nights, breakfast included:) Never visiting Stowe I was pleasntly surprised to find how close the Inn was to the center of town. A two minute drive or a walk along the bike path makes for a great afternoon of shopping in the local galleries.

The inn itself is very charming and my room was VERY cozy. I didn't have a TV in my room so on the second night I made my way down to the lounge and caught up on my CNN. I even had company when the inn's mascot Yogi planted himself at my feet.

The highlight of my stay was the breakfast which is prepared and served by the actual owners. Who by the way as I came to find out are former New Yorkers, I would have never guessed.

All in all I would reccomend the Inn most highly.

• Liked — the country charm
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2008

Have stayed at The Gables Inn in Stowe, VT on numerous occasions and cannot say enough good things about it and the owners.
The inn is charming----always warm and inviting. The rooms are always neat and comfortable having a New England decor. The breakfast menu is varied and the food is wonderful.
I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a quiet, homelike atmosphere.
I like to stay at B&Bs, but have had some not too pleasant stays. This is not the case at The Gables. Annette and Randy make you feel at home.

• Liked — Homelike atmosphere. Close to shopping and dining.
  • Disliked — Having to leave at the end of the trip.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Plant City, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2008

We were looking forward to a wonderful stay at the Gables Inn on a recent New England road trip. As soon as we pulled into the parking lot, our reaction was ,"Oh my!" Since first impressions are of utmost importance, I would suggest a MAJOR overhaul of the outside of the building. Very dirty, and in need of pressure cleaning/painting and gutter work. It wasn't much better as we entered through the side entrance and were hit in the face with the smell of......dog. Yogi is a sweet and unassuming golden retriever- but his odor permeates the residence. We checked in (as we had pre-paid and a refund was evidently not permitted due to their cancellation policy). We received the tour from Annette, who is very nice and accomodating. We did breathe a sigh of relief when we saw our room- very clean. However when we went to bed that night- sleep was difficult. The bed was as hard as a rock- literally. We went out almost immediately and spent as much time as we could touring the area- an area that didn't seem to have a lot to do. When we ran out of places to go we returned and sat in the very dark and very dirty living room and watched t.v. until bedtime. By dirty I mean the hardwood floor in the living room needed a complete cleaning and re-finishing, the doors and baseboards could use some fresh paint and the furniture is pretty well shot- dirty, dingy and beaten up. Yogi came around and laid at our feet- and the smell was overwhelming. We were up and out early the next morning to continue our road trip. We did not stay for breakfast, so I cannot speak to that in this review. This place could be charming and beautiful, but it is in need of some TLC and major cleaning. I do not enjoy writing a bad review, but we booked this place after looking at the website and one review here about the breakfast. I should have done further research. As I've mentioned, this place could be beautiful with some work. But for now, I'd have to recommend finding another place to stay in Stowe- there are plenty of choices out there- just do your research.

1 Thank kingsgirl55
New Brunswick, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2008

The Gables Inn is nothing like the promotional pictures and descriptions. It is dilapidated and in dire need of upkeep, refreshment, and restoration. The main building has rugs that are black with dirt...the first thing you see when registering. The breakfast is good if you can take the dirty carpet on the way to the eating area. The breakfast does not make up for the dingy surroundings. We stayed two nights because we had booked (and paid) ahead, and didn't really want to argue with the lady owner, who seemed ready for a quarrel when we asked to see the rooms. We moved two of a party of four from the main building, where hallways and stairs were narrow, making us wonder if we could get out in the case of fire. We stayed in the "carriage house", which had dirty rugs but we did enjoy the fireplace in the cool Sept. mornings and evenings. No used towel replacement or coffee were provided for the second night. To get the tap for the "jacuzzi/shower" to work, I had to stand in the tub and pull with all my might. We did not feel comfortable using the tubs because the dirty rugs and windows did not give us confidence that the jets had been consistently and thoroughly cleaned. Don't believe the pictures! Unless this property undergoes major renovation or they knock it down and start over, don't go. I am amazed that I checked the reviews before booking, and only one actually described the true conditions of this Inn. I dismissed that one review as being by someone who demanded perfection. If I had only heeded that one true review...but at least it gave the four sisters who came to Stowe for a reunion something to talk about, and some of the descriptions and comments gave us great belly laughs...guess I can thank the shabby, old Gables Inn for that.

• Liked — fireplace
  • Disliked — disrepair, dirtiness
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Waffless
Lexington, MA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

I was not as impressed with The Gables Inn as some others who have posted reviews here. It wasn't the worst place I've ever stayed, and the price was right, but people should know that it is not really a typical inn. Perhaps it is a better spot in the winter, but in the summer it just felt like a cheap place. The main rooms of the inn are not very welcoming. I would have never felt comfortable just sitting there to read or watch television. We had one of the rooms in the main building. The room was fine - clean, good size - but unless the air conditioning was on, it smelled very musty. Yes, they leave free (and cheap) razors out, but the towels are old and very small. The breakfasts were fine but not great and certainly far from "amazing", as some reviewers have said. It is nice to have a full restaurant menu and be able to pick what you like, but I think I would have preferred to have a better breakfast at one of the nicer inns in town. I would not stay here again.

• Liked — The price
  • Disliked — The building and grounds
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple