“Meh”
Review of Solstice

Solstice
Reserve with OpenTable
Solstice is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 101 Restaurants in Stowe
Cross street: Base of Stowe Mountain Resort
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Meh”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

After a delightful sleep in SML’s gloriously comfy, cozy bamboo sheets, we tucked into a simple but well-made breakfast at the hotel's restaurant, Solstice. I opted for grandma's favourite oatmeal and a delicious soy latte, while we also shared two average-tasting fluffy pancakes with locally-made maple syrup, just to say we tried it. For a relaxed, hearty breakfast, Solstice is a good stop, but nothing to write home about.

For more about my experiences during my getaway to Stowe, click here: http://www.deanes-list.com/1/post/2013/05/24-hours-in-stowe.html

Visited May 2013
1 Thank DEANESLIST
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Solstice, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you so much for your review of our breakfast offerings. Our chefs produce hearty comfort foods with local flavor to keep you going throughout the day as well as emphasize what Vermont has to offer. Menus rotate seasonally to feature the freshest produce so please come back to enjoy another seasonal experience at our restaurant.

Food & Beverage Director

“Too Expensive... $$$”
Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Decided to Have Breakfast Here before Hiking. Eggs, Toast, Juice. $40 Do Yourself a Favor, Eat at Gables Inn. Great Value and Service! Nothing Like throwing $ Away Eating Here. Robbery!

• Visited May 2013
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Solstice, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'd like to talk to you more about your breakfast here since we did not meet your expectations. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at the Lodge so we can remedy the issue for you and hopefully redeem ourselves during your next dining experience with us.

Director of Food & Beverage
Concord, New Hampshire
“Hotel restaurant that does well”
Reviewed May 3, 2013

While I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here, if you are staying in the hotel or visiting for the day, the restaurant serves good food. Somewhat on the pricey side, the portions are good, along with the having a wide selection, and good service. We had lunch and breakfast - again nothing truly unique but all our choices were done well. The view is spectacular as is the general feel of the restaurant with the high ceilings and open expanse. The one thing that was different is the silverware - the forks and knives have an elongated stem - as in 4 to 5 inches and are very thin. That made the trip from the plate to your mouth an adventure as your not used to this distance and almost dropped a couple of attempts on my lap. Still a good expereince.

• Visited April 2013
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Solstice, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for your review of Solstice restaurant. Seated at the base of Spruce Peak, the views are exquisite and incorporate the Vermont scenery into the restaurant decor. More than just the view is inspired by Vermont - our chef's create their dishes using fresh, seasonal produce. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Director of Food & Beverage
massachusetts
“The best pot roast ever!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We try to hit Solstice a couple of times a year and have enjoyed the food and atmosphere. They have a new menu which i like much better than the former one. It was a cold spring night, we split the salad and I had the pot roast and Jim had the steak. I have to say that the pot roast was the better meal. It was butter tender and well flavored. We will be back!

Visited April 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Terrible. Next time we go to Blue Moon.”
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We were expecting a "world-class" dinner as advertised. Seven of us sat at a lovely table and the atmosphere was grand. Ordered a "world-class" wine from the menu only to find it had been substituted for a different vineyard. Mentioned it to our waitress who said that was what was in the bin and decided to try it anyway to our disappointment. Two at the table ordered the lamb shank in polenta which proved to be too salty for either to eat. Two at the table ordered the Porterhouse for two for an a la carte price of $72. With an "enhancement" of lobster for an additional $17 per plate. What arrived on the one plate was a small (approx 24 oz) T-bone steak. For those that know steaks (and I do) a Porterhouse steak is supposed to be cut from the center of the loin and have a significant section of filet mignon on one side of the bone and the sirloin on the other. The T-bone is cut from the end and has a very small filet. This was a T-bone. I was disappointed but actually expected to see another plate arrive with the other half of this $72 steak, instead what arrives is an empty plate with another two very small side dishes of small chunks of lobster. The plate measured about 3" square. Not a great value. Not a great presentation. I complained to the waitress and ordered a filet mignon so that I could pretend it was a Porterhouse. The manager came over and was very gracious and apologetic and then proceeded to tell me they had run out of filet mignon. He generously provided a substitute sirloin and brought a sampling of nice desserts as a comp. the coffee arrived ten minutes after we had finished the desserts. A very expensive dinner and a very expensive lesson - next time I go to the Blue Moon.

1 Thank funsmith1
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Solstice, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I’m sorry to hear your experience didn’t meet your expectations and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this further with you offline. I invite you to call me at the Lodge so we could discuss this further as I would like to make this right for you and get more details.

Heinrich von Puschendorf