“I will never return”

Stowe Mountain Resort
Ranked #5 of 62 things to do in Stowe
More attraction details
Owner description: A classic Vermont ski getaway, popular with families because of its excellent ski/snowboard school and child-friendly amenities.
Sao Paulo, Brazil
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 132 helpful votes
“I will never return”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

The resort itself is very nice, trails are well mantained, restaurants are good and restrooms are shining. But it is so expensive and overpricd for very icy conditions. Watch out for rainfalls, when it happens it will ruin your whole week, since it gets colder later and everything becomes a huge ice block. Moreover, the place is a beginner nightmare, since many of the green trails are kept closed. It was january and I had basically 2 very icy green trails at Spruce, and I don't need to tell how bored I became. The so annnouced snowmaking system is limited to some double diamond runs, beginners and intermediates are truly disrespected for the price they pay. Lessons are good, but nothing out of this world. Rentals (one of the most expensive of the country) are confusing and weird, if you rent multiple days they let you store your skis but not your boots that are rented together! What's the point of it? Plus the whole resort is staffed by south american college students, like many resorts in US, that are there primarly to travel and have fun rather than work. So be prepared for untrained kids taking care of your rentals, lift lines and food. I'm going west next time and not spending my time and money there.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank Raf19

South Florida, Florida
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 394 helpful votes
“Great "Bling" - but still Vermont”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We had a wonderful family week at Stowe, staying in a rental home in town. The house, about 15 minutes from the mountain accommodated two families nicely at $7,000 for the week. We are avid skiers and have travelled extensively in New England, the West and Europe. We were impressed with the improvements to the resort under the ownership of AIG. The lodges, restaurants and slope maintenance have been vastly improved - there is a definite Colorado "bling" to the entire experience. However, the mountain policies and related services are no where near the West. Example: on the first day, we encountered 40 mph winds and extremely icy conditions. We took one run and decided to bypass the day. Not so fast. When we asked guest services to move our 5-day pass forward, we were told that we would be charged $29.00 for that single run and get a $59.00 credit on our fifth day. Outrageous! I am a former PSIA ski instructor and quite aware of standard cancellation policies. I asked to see the supervisor, told her of my common experiences in other parts of the country and, voila, was given the same courtesy that I would have routinely expected in Colorado or Utah. However, this level of consumer confrontation should never be necessary. We had "normal" Vermont weather and ski conditions: 3 out of 5 days were on packed natural and machine-made powder - generally edgeable skiing. Two of the days were on hard-pack snow with abundant ice (often covered with a light snow dusting - tough for beginners and intermediates). The food and beverages are generally of a high quality, but with attendant high prices. Examples: $19.00 for a Caesar salad with four strips of chicken; $8.50 for a side of chili fries; $8.50 for a small bowl of chili. However, if you're paying a grand a night for housing, you should be able to afford this, right? Still, I felt a little sorry for the dads who had $50 & $60 tabs for pretty modest servings for two and three people. The après-ski is better off the mountain - too antiseptic in the lodges. Our favorite was The Matterhorn - great vibe that replicates the type of entertainment and food that is commonly experienced in the West. All in all, we had a good ski vacation, but it would take more than this new "bling" to draw us away from the West. If we HAD to ski in New England, we would take less "bling" and go to Sugarbush, Sunday River, Killington or even Mount Snow - just better skiing and value for the dollar.

Visited January 2014
Chicago, Illinois
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Spa Day Pass”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Didn't ski this time around, but did swing $50 for the spa pass. It's so very worth it. From the robes to the ice water... to the hot tub, sauna, steam room, and what I affectionally call "the nap room" upstairs near the salon, this was an incredibly relaxing and wonderful way to spend a wayyyyy too cold day on the mountain. (It was -25 at the base!)

Portland, Maine, United States
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Ice Ice Baby (no fault of Stowe's, just bad timing for me)”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

This was my second trip to Stowe Resort in as many years. The resort itself is fantastic, I love that they open the forerunner quad at 7:30 for early birds. I went to bed excited as we were slated to get 7 to 12 inches of snow over night but sadly I awoke to 0 inches and a nice thick freezing rain cover. Sadly this meant Stowe had basically turned into an ice skating rink. The silver lining was that cold temperatures combined with SUPER icy conditions kept the vast majority of skiers off the hill that day and I never had to wait for a lift and didn't have to worry about dodging skiers on the slopes all day. I'm from Maine and normally if I went skiing and took a run that was so icy it would be a "one and done" day. But, since I was in Stowe and had nothing else to do, I mentally committed myself to 20 runs and sticking it out all day. In retrospect I'm glad I did but I may be a bit crazy. It was sooooo icy. Long story short I ended up getting 18 runs in that day before calling it quits 5 minutes before 4. I could have gotten one more run in buy my legs were destroyed from the long day.

I look forward to returning to Stowe someday under optimal conditions as it is such a great mountain. There is so much diverse terrain, good vertical distance to ski, and awesome amenities around the mountain including those delightful waffles & hot chocolate!

I will be back!

Mount Airy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“About what I was told to expect”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I had never done any skiing in the East and when I told my friends I was going to Stowe I was told to expect high prices and a different type of snow. My daughter had arranged private lessons ($395.00 for 2 hours) for my grandchildren and was somewhat taken aback when she was told by the reception lady that we would have to buy two lift tickets for the 9 & 6 year old children ($74.00 each) over and above the cost of the private lessons. When my daughter queried this the lady responded "well honey you're in the big leagues now" I was about to reply "well 'honey' we have skied in Aspen/Snowmass, Vail, Park City and Zermatt and I am familiar with the big leagues" but a look from my wife helped me hold my tongue. In any event the lady's flippant remark was not the best of starts. I will say that the rest of the staff in other parts of the resort and on the slopes were most friendly and helpful. As for the skiing itself I am by no means an expert ( I'm 73) but I found the snow of a far different texture than I had ever experienced with icy patches on all the runs. Generally I found the entire area to be greatly over priced and the snow nothing like in Park City. We plan to give Jackson Hole a try next month and have no plans to ever return to Stowe.

4 Thank cocoloumountairy