“Gas/Diesel engine lifts and -20c weather don't mix...”

Stowe Mountain Resort
Ranked #11 of 65 things to do in Stowe
More attraction details
Owner description: A classic Vermont ski getaway, popular with families because of its excellent ski/snowboard school and child-friendly amenities.
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Be warned, FourRunner Quad is out of commission, not a single chair on the cable.

This cut off access to a large chunk of the mountain. Without it, your left with the slow double or slow triple chair up. Lucky for us, we got a 8$ discount on the ridiculous price tag of 92$. For the runs we did access, the conditions were great considering the lack of snowfall in the region and plenty of groomed runs were there to be carved. The lifts on spruce kept cutting off in the afternoon which made the experience even worse. Sensation Quad would cut-off 3-4 times on the way to the top, increasing the lift time significantly. After 2 runs up, we decided to stay away fearing we'd get stuck on the lift. We also ran into the same problem on Sunny Spruce Quad, but not as much.

All things considered I'm happy I visited this mountain and got to experience it, but I will not return. The value simply isn't there for the price of the lift tickets. Comparing this hill to everything else that's available to me within a 5 hours drive, this one goes to the bottom of the list.

2  Thank LaL7
in 9 reviews
"new england"
in 16 reviews

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Clear, light breeze, Temps from -5F to +1F. Delightful day. Two club vouchers were a sweet way to start the day.

Fourrunner was down for the day due to a comms cable problem. Started on the gondi - gondi-er was fast and groomed sweetly. Edgeable FGR. Fastest runs of the year, carving all the way down. Double and Trip were running. Slow ride, but I'm not spoiled. Anything that gets me to the top is fine with me!

Stowe is Stowe. Conditions by the afternoon can be best be described as "packed granular". No "Madge, I can see myself ice", the ops people done good. Not many dared to come out, fearful of the cool day. Consequentially no lift lines all day. Lots of closed trails, esp. double blacks - probably 50% snow on them. Yeah, they were blowing all day.

Went over to Spruce. Even with the sun, it was colder than Mani. Big surprise. So we headed back to Mani., spent the day on various groomers. The woodz didn't look too goodz.

Toe warmers and tissues were the tools of the day.

Reviewed January 28, 2013

If I had the money (and the time) I'd ski here more. It's very expensive, but the trails are great. Mt. Mansfield has something for everyone; there's terrain parks for the boarders plus double diamonds for the big kids. Spruce Peak is more for intermediate and beginners, but can be challenging also.

Reviewed January 15, 2013

Stowe is an amazing mountain for the East Coast. The trails are varied and can be difficult, but there are so many of them, you'll find plenty of options. I found the blue trails here to be more difficult than I expected and many had sections of moguls.

The services are really wonderful. The gondola to the top is fantastic (don't go if you're a beginner skier -- routes down may be rated blue, but they are advanced blues). There are several chairlifts, but getting between them can be exhausting if you don't plan your decent carefully.

The services at the Spruce Mtn Base lodge are wonderful. It's crazy crowded during lunch, but I have to say, this is the most varied, and highest quality food I've ever seen served a base-lodge cafeteria.

The Mansfield Mountain Base lodge is older, smaller, and has significantly fewer options. I did like that both base lodges had live music at the end of the day, making the apre ski very enjoyable.

Leaving the mountain between 4pm and 6pm is bumper to bumper traffic, so listening to some live music before heading out is a great way to warm up and relax at the end of a day of awesome skiing.