“Ski for beginners”

Spruce Peak at Stowe
Ranked #22 of 66 things to do in Stowe
More attraction details
Owner description: Smooth and gentle runs make this Stowe area mountain ideal for children and first-time skiers.
Reviewed December 27, 2011

1 hour lesson was mostly in the flats and then ONE trip down the bunny slope. Not much to go on, needless to say, I fell alot after that. Rental was easy, by not cheap. Chili warm and good.

1  Thank IdoLove2travel
in 21 reviews
"gondola"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed December 22, 2011

I ski pretty well but I hadn't skied in awhile so I chose Spruce to 'warm-up' on. I was delightfully surprised at what a nice mountain it was. It had some more difficult runs than I had anticipated so I ended up spending most of the day there. The lift ticket is good for both Spruce and Mansfield so you get 2 mountains for the price of one!

Reviewed January 11, 2011

I haven't been skiing in 16 years and had only been skiing once before, so this was the perfect mountain for me to start on. They have a great "Inspiration" run to get started on that will give you lots of confidence with its gentle slope that is great for warming up and practicing those darn "french fry" turns. The next day, I let my boyfrined go skiing on Mansfield while I relaxed in the lodge so he could go have fun. Then once he was done skiing that side of the mountain, he took the over easy gondola back over and went skiing with me on Spruce Peak.

We went right after the new year and the conditions weren't great. A warm weekend and fog had melted most of the base so they were making snow 24/7. The mountain was pretty icey and was a little difficult for me to ski from the groomed stuff to the deep powder made by the machines.

Reviewed February 25, 2010

My husband and I are just learning how to ski and this place was wonderful...the instructor for our lesson was very knowledgeable and personable! The size of the group lesson was small (5 people, including us) and the views of Mt. Mansfield were incredible! We can't wait to go back again.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 25, 2009

I recently visited and very much enjoyed my experience there. I stayed at the front four which is one of the top level penthouses that has a great view if the mountain. It was perfect because you could literally step right out of the lodge and ski or snowboard a great thing they had was ski valet where they would store your skies or snowboards and your boots which the would even heat up for you so that they were warm when you went to go skiing they would even bring your skies to your room when you leave. The mountains were great and there was something for everyone, especially more advanced skiers and they also had a wide range of classes to take. For those who prefer not to ski Spruce Peak has a great spa, fitness room, and year round pool. There is even a game room for kids that has two Wiis and board games, as well as activities for kids that include ski camp, snowshoeing, kids movie knight, and stuff your own teddy bear. There are also shops such as ralph lauren right in the lodge and a lovely restaurant. Because I stayed at one of the front four penthouses breakfast was included and there was a private lounge for people staying in the front four where breakfast was served and there were free cheese and wine socials in the evening. The rooms was great, the beds were comfortable, large bathrooms, and a flat screen tv in every room. It also included a great kitchen that you can use when you don't feel like eating out. The icing on the cake however, was the ever so accommodating staff who were always very kind and really went out of their way to make you feel welcome and help you an anyway that they could. The only low about this place is that the spa, pool, game room, etc. only stay open until nine o'clock at night. Other then that I highly recommend staying here.

2  Thank happytravler14