“Just not worth the money!!”
Review of Trapp Family Lodge

Trapp Family Lodge
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed February 15, 2011

We were there for our 10 anniversary on Feb. 14th. We had plans to have dinner in the dinning room that night but found out after we got there that there was a dress code. Slacks and dress shoes. Sorry I don't bring dress shoes when I'm going to a ski lodge. So we ate in the lodge. My wife's food was great, the tomato bisque and the Trapp potato was great. I just ordered a burger that was terrible. A 1/4 gristle on both side, way over cooked at a high temp.. I asked for medium and it was well done. The burger was a little of half the size of the bun. For $12 that is one overpriced burger. If it wasn't my anniversary I would have made a big fuss about it, but not that night.
The doorman are a complete waste of time. They open the door every time except for when I was leaving with my hands full of luggage.
It's like they just expect you to pay these high prices for the room (by the way our room was perfect, great bed, nice TV, clean) and food, and you should be happy that they let you stay there.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dalesstar
Guest-Communications, Executive Assistant at Trapp Family Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2011

We are sincerely sorry for the problems you experienced during your stay with us on Valentine's Day. We received your complaint on February 21st via our Market Metrix survey system and responded immediately. Our discussions by e-mail brought closure to the issues although the last e-mail I sent to you was returned as undeliverable. Please contact me at info@trappfamily.com if you have an e-mail address to which I can forward the returned message. Thank you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,407)

Reviewed February 9, 2011

My girlfriend, at the time (keep reading), and I traveled to Stowe in November of 2010 for our 2nd anniversary... we did not stay at the Trapp Family Lodge, but we made plans just to visit. We arrived on a Saturday morning for their history tour. Not only was the tour absolutely excellent, but we fell in love with the grounds as well...

After the tour we went to the Deli Bakery... the beer was FANTASTIC, and the sandwiches were equally as good. Although the service was a tad bit slow (not their fault - there were over ten people and only two workers!), we loved the look and feel of the place. I'm hoping the brewery expands soon so that they can begin bottling.

...We ended up going back to the lodge two more times throughout the day because we liked it so much, and we wanted to experience the hotel at all times of the day! Fanatic? Maybe, but who cares!? The rest of the weekend we just wished we were back there. Shortly after we got home I booked a trip to go back in January!

Two and a half months later we were heading back to the Lodge... little did my girlfriend know I had been planning our engagement weekend. Laura, the wedding planner, was extremely helpful in setting up several activities - horse drawn sleigh ride, reservations, ski lessons, etc. She made it so easy! I can only imagine how responsive and helpful she is when planning a wedding.

Here is a little bit about the hotel in general:

Lodge and Hotel Grounds:
How can you beat the view/location? You seriously can't. As you drive up the mountain you pass the villas (absolutely gorgeous!) on your right, and the Main Lodge quickly approaches just up the road. The resort layout is not too spread out, and everything is easily accessible. There is definitely a rustic feel to the buildings, but we appreciate that look much more than your conventional hotel. This automatically gives you a comforting feel when you arrive. There is great parking right across from the main entrance, and the men at the door are extremely nice. Once we got in and settled we walked around the hotel a bit. There are so many different rooms with fires blazing... very nice!

Check-In / Rooms:
Check-in took all of 2 minutes, and most of that time was the desk attendant saying 'Hello', which was a good start to the weekend. We easily made it to our third floor bedroom on the elevator (slow/out-dated, but only used it because we had our baggage). Our room was number 337, which was a Deluxe room (Standard) with a private balcony. It made it even better that the room was all the way at the end... but I can't imagine the hotel would get that noisy anyways. The room was very, very spacious and nicely appointed - matched the decor of the rest of the hotel. Everything was very clean throughout the stay. The bathroom was nice/sufficient (pressure was great and hot water was consistent).

Fitness Center/Pool:
Although we did not use the fitness center, we saw it. Everything looks new... and from the reviews other people have made, it seems to be nice. We did, however, use the pool and the hot tub - both of which were excellent. The facilities were very clean. We also saw the spa prices - very reasonable.

Ski Center/Lessons/Sleigh Ride:
On Saturday morning we had a cross-country ski lesson with Don... he was awesome! His patience was much appreciated! He made us want to come back again... and after how many times I fell, that says a lot. We also had a sleigh ride with Deb, which starts across from the Ski Center. She is great as well... she was able to take pictures of our engagement (thank you!). I would definitely recommend doing this... why not? You're in Stowe! There are a million things to do here. The only one to blame is yourself if you become bored.

Meals:
Our meals were fantastic! Breakfast was hearty with a wide variety... and all of the food came extremely fast (and hot). I would recommend the blueberry pancakes. Dinner was intimate and taken at our own pace. The wiener schnitzel was incredible. I am seriously looking forward to going back just so that I can order that again. Although the hotel was 84% full (they told me at the front desk), we felt like we were the only ones there.

Overall - if you can't tell from the review - we had an AWESOME time and are looking forward to going back ASAP! I'm very surprised that the hotel is rated #9 in Stowe, because we won't consider any other place now. I thought the touches throughout the Main Lodge that highlight the family history were great. Not once did we think they were hanging on to the Sound of Music, or that it was tacky. If you were a Von Trapp wouldn't you try to keep the tradition?

We hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 22, 2011

The place is nice and nice fitness center. The movie room can use nice chairs like movie chairs when watching "The sound of Music" I have nice movie room recliner in my big tv movie room with my soft blankets. They should provide nice soft blankets and nicer chairs in the movie room and popcorn.

The room cleanliness housekeeping needs to make sure they clean the blankets are dirty in 19D. One Green blanket look like it was well used. Also it felt like sandpaper i wonder what was spilled on it in the Master bedroom. Also in the two twin bedroom 2 had a hole in the wall behind door. Also the up stair guest in unit 19C had big feet and left trash outside near are door front desk response " I am sorry". Did not feel it was important to be concern about it. Last the vacuum in unit was never clean from last guest. I clean the shower vent in the ceiling from dirt since housekeeping does very little there. I recommend do not ask for housekeeping needs to do a better job cleaning the rooms.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 21, 2011

The Trapp Family lodge is my home away from home. Not only does the staff treat me a like princess, but the food and cross country ski trails are the best in New England. I've stayed here over 30 times and always look forward to going back, even if I just have 30 minutes between business meetings and dinner, it is so much worth driving an extra 20 minutes to stay at the lodge. Also, if you love Broadway and musicals, the lodge is almost like a Sound of Music museum with lots of pictures or copies of posters on the walls. I love this place and hope am already trying to plan my next trip there.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Great place. Really relaxing and user-friendly. Excellent fitness center with huge outdoor hot tub for soaking while the snow falls down over the mountains. Good food, fun activities, great family vibe. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ZamyMaputo
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We stopped in at the Lodge on the suggestion of a friend for breakfast. The friend stays there each year during the summer months to enjoy the Vermont country side. We were on our way to the ski slopes at Stowe.

This place is definitely a walk into a different era, although not in any unpleasent nor unsophisted way. Cell phones were not permitted in the Dining Room and actually of the busy room not one cell phone rang although the younger guests were avidly texting or playing on their devices.

The service is a combined plated and buffet. Breakfast was much more like a heavty lunch and the prices were on the higher side. Once we found the dining room, we were promptly seated and served. I selected the Full American and actually could not finish the plate. The service was impeccable, no less than three different personnel touched our table at least three times each.

They had home baked goods which included croissants to die for. Actually once sampled for their breakfast, one would want to stay under different terms other than a ski holiday something a bit more restful might be better. Most of the guests appeared to be on ski holidays though.

The resort is splendid from what we saw and would not hestiate to consider this place in my future travels.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank callme
Reviewed December 31, 2010

I would never come to this place again. Their website and description of the place does not match the actual experience once you arrive. They definitely milk the whole Von trapp history all over the place to the point of nausea. It's not a quant place at all and very commercial. It is extremely overpriced for the rat hole of a room they put you in. For $450 /night the rooms have an ambiance of Howard Johnson or motel 6. Actually that's a disservice to motel 6. Food is so overpriced and awful. The only redeeming quality of this place is the pool and fitness/spa facility. DEFENITELY STAY AWAY. Trust me not worth it at all. They actually had the audacity to ask for the total price of the stay in advance. I guess they know you might want to leave early.

• Stayed: December 2010