“Amazing, Fresh Air, Family Feeling, and Top Notch Service”
Review of Trapp Family Lodge

Trapp Family Lodge
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Ontario
“Amazing, Fresh Air, Family Feeling, and Top Notch Service”
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We have young kids and booked a $199 dollar one night stay which included full breakfast for 5 and use of the trails, fitness center and even a campfire (with songs) on the night of our stay. It was worth every penny! We requested a crib and it was in our room before we arrived along with 5 towels, 5 glasses etc.... the attention to detail was perfect! Breakfast was full of choices and wonderfully prepared buffett with main courses from the menu. It is probably a location for a crew a little more quiet than ours but we will return in the coming years as they get older (and more refined) - an we all loved it! Very family oriented but also good for couples who want to get away from the kids! You can choose your own pace.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank ChaufferDad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Rochelle Park, New Jersey
Reviewed August 9, 2009

This is our third time staying at the Trapp Family Lodge, first time with all three of our children. The views from the property are gorgeous as are the gardens. This time, we had a premier room on third floor of the new section facing the woods. Although the view wasn't as magnificent as some of the other rooms, it was quite large as was as the bathroom and was sparkling clean. It was nice having a back door to walk outside of the room. Although some of the common areas could use some updating, the Lodge is extremely clean and cozy. The food, especially the breakfast that was included with our room, was outstanding. Very fresh, high quality and plenty of it. Both the indoor and outdoor pools were very nice and the woods are vast for hiking and mountain biking in the summer. During our winter stays, we enjoyed snowshoeing and tried cross country skiing. Only negative was a kid (maybe two) in the room next door who enjoyed crying and screaming from about 5:30 until 8:30 every morning that penetrated the closed adjoining doors. But, that can happen in any hotel. Will definitely go back!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Spyridon
alwaysfree
Reviewed July 17, 2009

This was a last minute trip for my husband and I and our 10 month old son. After looking at the website it sounded ideal. When we pulled up to the resort we were excited and thought it looked nice but the second we walked inside we were disappointed. Everything smells musty and looks old, from the carpets to the furniture to the curtains. Our room was even worse, very outdated, a television from the early 80's, and a below average bathroom. The fixtures in the bathroom were rusted and when you turned the water on a loud hissing sound occurred. We tried to get something to eat only to find the kitchen closed at 3 and reopened at 5. They told us to walk to the bakery (a pretty 10 minute walk away) but they had stopped serving sandwiches at 3 and only had cold salads. After a swim in the indoor pool we went to take showers and I felt uneasy bathing my infant son in the bathtub and I felt uneasy bathing too. Finally we decided it was time to check out (after 2 hours). The staff was kind and explained our room was built in 1981 but they had other rooms that were newer. At 250/night, I was not happy to be put in a room that had not been changed in nearly 30 years. I truly believe the bathroom at an economy lodge would be nicer for a fraction of the price. They offered to show me a "nicer" room but then said none were available. There was a large wedding happening that weekend so it is very possible the nicer rooms were booked. If you are looking for a resort this IS NOT the place. If you place on only sleeping here and can put up with musty and outdated and overpriced, this is your place. The people are nice. They agreed to not charge us for the second night and we are still waiting to hear if we will be refunded our $245 deposit. We left and went to the Top Notch, cheaper and 100x nicer. Sorry Trapp Family Lodge, I had high hopes and was very disappointed.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
The English Midlands
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We were touring Vermont and saw the signs to the Lodge as we approched Stowe. June is a relatively quiet time in Vermont although there had been a "Sound of Music" Celebration at the hotel on the day we arrived.
We were shown a selection of Rooms, the one we chose was actually the least expensive but had a balcony looking out over the surrounding mountains. There were windows to two sides, it was quiet and relaxing, absolutely perfect!
I was reluctant to order Continental Breakfast but did so on the request of my partner and have to say that what we got (included in our Bed and Breakfast Package) was the BEST Continental breakfast I have ever had in the USA over 30 years of visiting. There was a large plate of cheeses and Meat, A large plate of fruit plus juice, coffee, pastries, bread rolls, etc. It was a really great start to the day.
Evening meal in the main dining room was excellent, Schnitzel with Noodles seemed to be the appropriate choice and it was great.
We booked in for a second night as it was so comfortable.
Watch out for the Trapp Gift shop were I paid about $22.00 for a tea towel, only realised afterwards It is Austrian and beautiful but we woul only expect to pay $7.50 for such an item. I will keep my glasses on when shopping in future!
Great Moment was driving up from Stowe village in the dark late at night after a visit the the English Pub, my partner sang the first line of "Doh a Deer" and a Deer walked out of the Woods straight in front of the car. Magical!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ian M
edmel15
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Traveled with my husband and 2 kids (ages 11 and 9) June 2009. The lodges is located on a beautiful piece of property. On the day we arrived we ate dinner in the lounge and enjoyed the quality of the fresh ingredents in our meals. I'm a good cook, and the food tasted better than I could make at home. The second day of our trip we swam in the outdoor pool and hiked for a few hours on the property. Dinner in the Formal Lounge was great as well. Our next 2 days we explored Mount Mansfield and the town of Stowe.

The hotel was a great location to access many family friendly activities in the area. The indoor pool really came in handy on the day it was raining. The staff was great and helpful. When we needed new towels I called down to the front dest and had them in the room in 10 minutes.

The ONLY thing you need to know is that the hotel is a BIT outdated in decor. But it is clean. I believe the furnishings are 1980's in look. The main areas of the hotel have a more updated look than the guest rooms in the main lodge.

Overall I think you will enjoy your stay.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
North Carolina
Reviewed June 22, 2009

During our five night stay at the Lodge we were overwhelmed not only by the natural beauty of the location, but by the hospitality of the entire staff of the Lodge. Every single employee we ran into was eager to engage our two chatty and curious preschool aged children. Even a plumber we ran into stopped what he was doing to explain different types of pipes to our daughter. Our children loved our stay and we appreciated the truly family friendly environment. Also of note were the AMAZING breakfasts, the stunning view from every window, and a daily page long list of activities.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Maryland
Reviewed June 20, 2009

How to sum this up! The accommodations and service are awesome. We are sun, sand, and beach people so this is definitely not an experience we aspire to have again, but it was good to try it! We stayed in guesthouse #5B. It's perfect! I kept thinking "if only it were snowing, I actually LIKED to ski, and I didn't have young kids..." (aged 8 and 2). If those things apply to you, you'll love this place. It's beautiful - the lodge folks can keep you busy with stuff to do. We drove to Burlington to Lake Champlain...a friend recommended going to Ausable Chasm, which I really wanted to do but it was cold and rainy the whole time...so try it for us! I'd have loved to see the Adirondacks up close. We explored Spruce Peak a bit; none of the summer activities began (gondola rides, etc.) until 6/20 and we checked out that day. The town of Stowe is small but quaint. Try eating at Frida's if you like Mexican food! Yum! The fitness center is pretty much why I selected this exchange property (we own in Orlando)...and it's everything it's billed to be. Gorgeous, new, heated indoor pool, try the massage - I did it and loved it, the outdoor pool (what little we could make use of it when the sun actually DID shine) was great, there is a playground for little ones. The lodge, guesthouses, and villas are spread out so it doesn't feel crowded. The views are spectacular - especially the morning fog. I love, love, love the smell of woodsmoke, so that was a great treat...but think about it - burning wood fireplaces in the middle of June??? I prefer the beach. The place itself was more than adequate and very roomy. The kitchen is really small, but you know what - it's functional and they supply everything you'd need. I did bring a crockpot along so we could plan the day and not spend a lot of time cooking at the end. The staff is super accommodating. It was pretty inconvenient to not have a washer/dryer in the unit, but they do have complimentary mid-week linen exchanges (if you're staying a week). The week we were there we had a nice surprise - five of the seven actors who portrayed the von Trapp children in the Sound of Music made an informal appearance at the lodge! Cool. I grew up watching that movie - my kids didn't care, but it was a treat for me. I'd recommend this place highly to anyone who like mountains, hiking, walking, driving, trees, etc. The mountain air was fresh and clean...such a great change of pace for us (Washington DC area), but again, I would choose the sand and surf ANY day over this. I would have been happy with a long weekend.

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family