“Beautiful scenery, not our usual type of vacation”
Review of Trapp Family Lodge

Trapp Family Lodge
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed June 20, 2009

How to sum this up! The accommodations and service are awesome. We are sun, sand, and beach people so this is definitely not an experience we aspire to have again, but it was good to try it! We stayed in guesthouse #5B. It's perfect! I kept thinking "if only it were snowing, I actually LIKED to ski, and I didn't have young kids..." (aged 8 and 2). If those things apply to you, you'll love this place. It's beautiful - the lodge folks can keep you busy with stuff to do. We drove to Burlington to Lake Champlain...a friend recommended going to Ausable Chasm, which I really wanted to do but it was cold and rainy the whole time...so try it for us! I'd have loved to see the Adirondacks up close. We explored Spruce Peak a bit; none of the summer activities began (gondola rides, etc.) until 6/20 and we checked out that day. The town of Stowe is small but quaint. Try eating at Frida's if you like Mexican food! Yum! The fitness center is pretty much why I selected this exchange property (we own in Orlando)...and it's everything it's billed to be. Gorgeous, new, heated indoor pool, try the massage - I did it and loved it, the outdoor pool (what little we could make use of it when the sun actually DID shine) was great, there is a playground for little ones. The lodge, guesthouses, and villas are spread out so it doesn't feel crowded. The views are spectacular - especially the morning fog. I love, love, love the smell of woodsmoke, so that was a great treat...but think about it - burning wood fireplaces in the middle of June??? I prefer the beach. The place itself was more than adequate and very roomy. The kitchen is really small, but you know what - it's functional and they supply everything you'd need. I did bring a crockpot along so we could plan the day and not spend a lot of time cooking at the end. The staff is super accommodating. It was pretty inconvenient to not have a washer/dryer in the unit, but they do have complimentary mid-week linen exchanges (if you're staying a week). The week we were there we had a nice surprise - five of the seven actors who portrayed the von Trapp children in the Sound of Music made an informal appearance at the lodge! Cool. I grew up watching that movie - my kids didn't care, but it was a treat for me. I'd recommend this place highly to anyone who like mountains, hiking, walking, driving, trees, etc. The mountain air was fresh and clean...such a great change of pace for us (Washington DC area), but again, I would choose the sand and surf ANY day over this. I would have been happy with a long weekend.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank lumic69
There are newer reviews for Trapp Family Lodge

Reviewed May 7, 2009

My family of 5 (children’s ages 15, 13 and 7) exchanged through Interval to stay at the Trapp Family lodge 4/04/09 through 4/11/09 which was our Spring Break week. With so many resorts not taking the time or effort to recycle, it was quite refreshing to learn that Trapp does and has also gone ‘green’. Save the Earth a little bit at a time.

The resort has many interesting sights including the graveyard where some of the Trapp family are buried, and of course, Maria’s Chapel – a must see! The lodge shows a free movie every night, and “The Real Maria” documentary every day. There are a number of organized activities including various kinds of lessons, wine-tasting, and entertainment. In addition to a nice sized indoor pool and a very large outdoor hot tub, the fitness center (which is a short walk from any of the accommodations) houses a pretty decent sized rock wall - $5/climb, and a children’s activity center with air hockey and ping pong. If you get a chance, make time to walk through the open house for the Villas – they’re really beautiful!

Stowe is not known for much other than skiing – and in the Springtime, that’s even touch-and-go. (Thank goodness for WiFi; we always bring our laptop, so it came in handy to help pass the time.) And they are certainly not kidding when they say that Springtime in Stowe is known as the “Muddy Season”! With the exception of the last 2 days of our ‘vacation’, it snowed a sizable amount every day followed by rain – significantly limiting a good number of outdoor activities and/or ‘sightseeing’. Even hiking up to Maria’s chapel was hampered by the overly muddy conditions. As we were approaching the end of Day 5, we decided to bite the bullet and schlep up the muddy mountain; it was definitely worth it as we were able to get some amazing photographs and memories of the adventurous hike.

We did the standard area tours including a pewter place with viewing window, Cabot Cheese, Cold Hollow Cider Mill, and Ben & Jerry ($3 tour fee) – all the food-related places offer free samples - yum. We also went to the Echo Lake aquarium and Science Center (Burlington Waterfront) which was great with lots of hands-on activities for the kids; be sure to look on the internet for admission discounts which will save you $3/person. Close-by to the aquarium (in South Burlington) is the “Magic Hat” Brewery (Artifactory) – very cool tour with free beer tasting at the end and a neat gift shop to browse.

By the end of March, most of the sugering is complete. However, we lucked out and stumbled upon a local processor who gave us the most amazing tour. Lewis and Audrey Coty are the proprietors of “Nebraska Knoll Sugar Farm” which is about a 10-minute drive from Trapp; if one of the main connecting mountain roads wasn’t closed for the winter, the ride would be about 2 minutes. We stopped in mid-afternoon and were given a brief run-through of the process. Mrs. Coty told us that if we weren’t busy that evening, we should come back about 8 when they’ll be in full swing of their sugering boiling process. We did, and boy was that amazing. We even tasted samples straight from cool-down. THIS is the place to get your maple syrup. It is definitely much cheaper than any pricing we had seen during the previous 4 days.

We stayed in Guesthouse #22B (Village #2), which was filled with rustic charm. The guesthouses are built on a hill, so there are ALOT of steps from the parking area; our unit had I believe 36 (think good exercise!) The view from the deck was breathtaking – or so we were told and were excited to finally experience it for ourselves on Day 6 when the weather cleared up enough for us to see. It was worth the wait.

Upon opening the front door, you enter into a very convenient mudd room. This adds a little more space to this cozy (1100 sf) 2 bedroom / 2 bath unit equipped with a scaled down version of all the comforts of home including starter supplies of soap, dish detergent, and DW tablets. Towels and linens are provided, along with pool towels in the fitness center. The living area, which was a very nice size, had a lovely fireplace with all the wood you could ever need, an L-Shaped couch, chair, and a rocking chair. This room housed the ONLY television (a whopping 22” one!) in the unit. The DVD / VCR player was a nice touch; we had a long ride to VT and brought a lot of movies with us, so it came in very handy during our stay.

The Master BR had a Queen bed, chaise lounge with footstool, a mirrored dresser, and a small dressing area by the open closet area; a small full bath adjoined this room.

The 2nd bedroom had 2 twin beds. A double air mattress would fit perfectly on the available floor space between the wall and the window, however, we “squeeeezed” a queen-sized air mattress in that space. The sides of the air mattress turned up slightly from being wedged; my 7-year old son said he felt like a hot dog in a bun, but was quite comfortable. Our 3 children shared this bedroom so they could sleep ‘privately’ and not have to be bothered with activity occurring in the living area where the pull-out sofa was. Across the hall from this smaller bedroom was the 2nd full bath.

The kitchen, albeit very (very) tiny, was adequately stocked with amenities to ‘set up house’ for a week. Several Shaw’s grocery stores are within a convenient driving distance. Outside the kitchen area was window seating dining for 8.

Sadly, you don’t have the convenience of an in-unit washer/dryer, however, there are coin-operated laundry facilities on the premises. Linen exchange takes place mid-week.

The unit accommodated our family quite nicely. Overall, our stay was quite pleasant and memorable.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank PorchPrincess
Reviewed May 6, 2009

There are two kinds of guests at the Trapp Family Lodge during the winter. Those who go there for Austrian "Sound of Music" ambience and those who seek the best XC ski resort in the nation. The first group are bound to be disappointed. Except for a few pictures, some Austrian kitsch, German inspired items on the dining menu and a couple of members of the von Trapp family in management, one would do better renting a DVD of the film and drinking dark beer at the local brauhaus. The rooms at the main lodge are comfortable, although showing a bit of wear. The service is excellent. But as a whole, the hotel experience can be matched by several others in the Stowe area.

But the outdoors - unparalleled. The grounds are lovely, summer, fall, and winter. The XC ski facilities are among the best in the country, 100 KM of tracked trail of all degrees of difficulty, with connections to other area resorts and access to the Catamount trail. The new fitness center is the best I have seen, with saunas, swimming pools, massage and workout facilities for relieving that after ski soreness. An after a day of skiing, that heavy Austrian food hits the spot. You will burn all the calories the next day.

So Trapp is the perfect place for the athletic or wannabe athlete who wants a midwinter respite from the urban blahs. XC skiing or snowshowing is one of those sports that is easy to learn but requires years to truly master. The Trapp Family Lodge is both the place to take your first fledgling gliding steps and exercise your expert skills. And it is not only for the young and fit. My wife and I have been coming to Trapp for 25 years, spending a week or more every winter. We are both nearly 80 now, but lose the years the moment we hit the trails.

Incidentally, if you plan on staying for a week, or if you come with a family, it is far more economical to rent a Guesthouse that to stay at the Lodge. The Guesthouses, small two bedroom apartments with full facilites. sleep six and offer free access to all the Trapp Family activities.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank CaptOlaf
Reviewed April 23, 2009

Probably one of the worst weeks, weatherwise, we had an absolutely lovely visit. The room was very comfortable, good beds, wonderful duvets - so comfy!
The view from the porch was gorgeous - I can just imagine that the von Trapps found it like "home" The mountains, trees, valleys and meadows seem so clean and natural - a balm for a hurried soul. Sitting in the hot tub and seeing all of that - you cold just feel the stress float away. Perhaps that's the best part - there's time to just "be". The friendliness of the family and the staff is palpable everywhere. Thanks for a lovely visit.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2009

We have visited the Trapp Family Lodge four times over the last 4 years, with our three kids (9-8-4) and without. Noticed some reviews that are completely opposite of our expereinces, so we decided to write! The lodge itself is beautiful, and in a gorgeous setting. Good activities at the Lodge (hiking, biking, skiing) and it is an outstanding jumping off point for the whole area. The facilties, rooms, etc. are comfortable and clean, well maintained. The pool/spa/rock wall is a hit with the kids, as are the excellent breakfasts. We have travelled extensivly here and abroad, and rate this is a great place to stay. The Lodge's staff does a great job of making guests welcome, remembering names and faces, and going the extra mile. The cross country skiing is fabulous (NCAA championships held here), and we will be visiting this Summer to take adavantage of the new mountain bike trails. An improvement, the Austrian Tea Room has been replaced with a great on-the-go-friendly delicatessen, and I understand a micro brewery may be in the works. All in all, I recommend the Lodge highly, we cannot wait for our next visit!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2009

Booked a maple sugaring package for my wife and I for a Christmas gift. We were looking forward to seeing the sugaring process and enjoying a horse drawn sleigh ride that was supposed to be included in the package. Unfortunately, our expectations were not met at all. The resort grounds are very nice, and we were excited when we checked in to see our premier rooms, an upgrade from deluxe room that was part of the package. The rooms were a disgrace and have no business being called "premier". The only thing premier was the price, at over $250/night. The room was outdated, showed cracks in the drywall throughout and fiberglass insulation could be seen where the did not meet the ceiling. I have stayed in $49/night hotels with better accomadations. The icing on the cake was that none of the sugaring activites sold to us in the package were going on mid-week. They were weekend only. Why then, offer the package if it does not exist during the week? We left a day early (was a 2 night package) and stayed at the Vermont Culinary Institute at the Inn at Essex. Half the price and twice as nice!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pbk835
Guest-Communications, Executive Assistant at Trapp Family Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2009

We are in receipt of your response to our guest survey regarding your stay with us on Monday, March 23, 2009. We sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered and the negative feeling about your stay that prompted you to leave early.

It is inexcusable that we assigned you to a room that was in need of repair – the room should have been placed in out-or-order status until presentable for guests. We are very sorry this occurred and the room has been flagged for our Maintenance Department to repair.

It is unfortunate that we did not pay attention to the fact that you were staying with us on a special package and rightfully expected more than a small bottle of maple syrup. I looked at our confirmation letter sent to those on the Tap at Trapp’s package and it does state the horse-drawn sleigh rides and sugar-on-snow parties are held on Saturdays only – this should have been made very clear to you at time of booking. That being said, we should have provided other activities to make your visit more interesting and satisfying for the price paid. For example, a guided snowshoe hike to our Sugarhouse with a personalized tour would have been a nice touch.

When you departed early there most certainly should have been an effort made to resolve the problem and steps made to encourage you to continue your stay. Our staff is taught to recognize and solve problems at the time of occurrence and this clearly did not happen for you and we again apologize for this.

Reviewed March 19, 2009

I gave my husband a trip to the Trapp Lodge as a birthday present. He is German-Austrian, and I hoped that he would enjoy the ambience, not to mention the food. Let's just say that my husband was as close to heaven as I had ever seen him!

A few weeks before our arrival, I called the Bakery/Patisserie, to pre-order a Black Forest cake for my husband's birthday. I asked them to write "Happy Birthday" in German, and they were happy to oblige. My husband's mother used to make him a Black Forest Cake for his birthday, and I was hoping this cake would live up to his memories. It did not. It surpassed them -- he still says it is the best cake he ever had! He was also thrilled to sample the Austrian/German fare on the menu in the dinning room, and loved it all. But I am getting ahead of myself.

When we arrived at the hotel, my husband commented that it looked like an Austrian lodge. Our room was large, with a balcony that allowed us to view the stars at night. My husband hiked while I swam at the hotel's pool and found places in which to read. We meandered through the gardens, a real summer delight (and I admit, I made my husband find the eidelweiss for me, and it really is strong and white -- eidel meaning strong, weiss meaning white -- who knew?). The landscaping throughout is gorgeous, and while the Trapp Lodge is mostly known as a winter, ski resort, I highly recommend going in summer.

BTW, the views from the dining room are magnificent (especially for city dwellers like us, who are unaccustomed to such lush, green beauty). The piano bar is a great spot after dinner, with a pianist well-versed in Cole Porter. What more do you need?

This is a gem, with a truly caring staff who go out of their way to make your stay perfect.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple