“better than expected”

Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Plattsburgh, New York
“better than expected”
Reviewed November 11, 2008

How one views a hotel stay is I think, in large part, dependent on what one expectations were. My wife and I live within 50 miles of the Trapp Family Lodge and and have driven by it innumerable times when visiting Stowe. Living so close, we would probably not have ever stayed there had it not been for receiving a gift certificate. We went there with the impression that it was probably living off its Sound of Music reputation and was rather touristy. We were actually pleasantly surprised.
The Pros: the size of the room--nice, large and clean with tasteful furniture and a comfortable bed; a very pleasant staff; fantastic views, a number of relaxing lounges which contained multiple sofas and easy chairs. The cons: the layout is somewhat confusing with wings going in various directions; the library, which should ditch the National Geographics and be relocated away from the bar/lounge, the lack of a Great Room.

• Liked — size of the room
  • Disliked — disjointed layout
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Northcountryman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
New York & California
Reviewed October 9, 2008

Sadly, the rustic days of Austrian/Vermont homespun ambiance have passed from the Trapp Family Lodge. I had visited several decades ago and remembered a place that was small, cozy and unique. The conversion of the Lodge to a modern hotel resort has removed much of that charm; and it was the charm that I was expecting for the price.

The obstruction of the views by the new buildings, the thin walls, the bland, modern decor, and the sprawling layout made me feel that i was staying in a nice Hilton, not THE Trapp Family Lodge.

I was especially saddened to see many new design choices that seemed like they were made to prevent my view of the extraordinary landscape. The hot tub view was blocked by safety fences that could have been placed further down the hill, and where an attempt had been made to provide a view through the fence, it was blocked by flower boxes!
Neither the Lounge nor the Dining room take advantage of their position for a decent view and the Library is really just tragic - no fireplace, no decent books or info about the area, just old national geographics, no newspapers of note, no comfortable reading chairs, no view, no sunlight and too close to the Lounge to allow anyone in there to read in peace.

The room was large and comfortable, but bland.

On the plus side, the staff was friendly and quick to respond when we had some trouble with the heating in our room.

I feel, for the price, a good B&B is the way to go.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ClimbAndClimbAlike
Guest-Communications, Executive Assistant at Trapp Family Lodge, responded to this review, October 24, 2008
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts and observations regarding your stay at our resort. Your comments and observations are very important to our management and staff in helping us to provide a guest experience that inspires a return visit to our resort.

We are sorry for those areas in which we did not meet your expectations.

Trapp Family Lodge has grown over the years from the small intimate inn that was its roots to the large resort that includes our hotel, guest houses, Villas, cross-country ski center, Hiking trails, Mountain Biking trails, Austrian Tea Room, Fitness Center, Dining Room and Lounge as well as a sport and gift shop. This transformation has been over a period of decades and has been done to be competitive in the markets needed to support a year-round operation in a New England resort town. We have tried to maintain the Austrian charm and décor while also appealing to the world market, their tastes and expectations while traveling. We are sorry that these changes are a disappointment to you and that you prefer the more rustic and intimate lodge of years ago. Your comments regarding marketing are well taken and will be shared with our Marketing staff for their consideration.

Thank you for letting us know our Maintenance Department solved your heating/thermostat problem in a timely fashion.

We apologize for the poor service you experienced when trying to gain information about climbing in Smuggler’s Notch. The following website might be helpful to you for future rock climbing expeditions: www.rockclimbing.com which has a section about Smuggler’s Notch that looks to be quite extensive.

Thank you for your observations of our Library and its lack of books, fireplace and comfortable reading chairs. This information will be filed for future reference regarding any design changes in the library and we will immediately update the bookshelves with more reading material. We do restock the shelves a few times of year but they get depleted at the end of seasons when our guest traffic is active.

We do hope to welcome you back for a future return visit and thank you for your helpful suggestions.
Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed October 5, 2008

I wanted to love this place, I really did. I mean, who doesn't like the Sound of Music? But the hotel feels cheap and there's really no thought behind anything they did here. Maybe it was the cracks in the ceiling and the motel-6-like curtains on the windows. It really feels like they skimp where they can. I can't believe people gave this place 5 stars. I have stayed at other
Small Luxury Hotels (SLH) of the world and this hotel does not even come close.

The front desk people are fantastic. When we arrived after dark, they valeted our car and took our bags to the room, and changed our dinner reservation. That was terrific. But dinner was where it started to get bad. The service was non existent and the wait staff seemed unhappy to be there. I'll risk sounding like a snob saying this, but for $347 a night and $25 - $30 entrees, I expect my water glass to be refilled and the waiter to come by and ask me if I need anything once in a while. It would have been faster to refill my own glass! The food tasted good, but it was cold when it arrived.

The rooms are plain, non-inviting, not romantic, and have thin walls. And that's in the New Millenium wing! I always thought of the Sound of Music as being friendly and warm - the rooms at this place are just the opposite.

The good news is that the bed was comfortable. It took all the romance we brought with us to make up for the starkness of this property!

The grounds are beautiful and the lodge looks very welcoming from the outside, which just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover.

Stayed October 2008
3 Thank aventurer
Indiana
Reviewed October 5, 2008

My husband and I just completed a 7day New England trip, ending in Stowe, Vermont at the Trapp Family Lodge. After reading some of the trip advisor reviews we were somewhat nervous. We contacted the hotel and the management assured us that we would enjoy our stay. Upon check in, the manager we spoke to on the phone earlier, greeted us and checked us in to the lodge.

The Trapp Family Lodge EXCEEDED our expectations. From the personal assistance upon check in, we proceeded to a room that was immaculate, fresh linens/ towels. The room was spacious with a table, sofa and a chair. A nice quaint balcony facing the mountains with a spectacular view.

We participated in the meal plan which included a 3 course dinner and breakfast. The dining room had white table cloths, fresh flowers and new candles on each table. The staff was excellent and the food was fantastic with plenty of options.
The staff was careful not to rush anyone and we listened to wonderful harp music during dinner.

The Lodge is filled with tasteful seasonal decorations. There is history of the Trapp family throughout the lodge which we enjoyed.

The entire hotel is spotless and all of the staff is so friendly.

Breakfast consisted of so many delicious items on the buffet. We stayed until the last minute and I would return in a second.

Thanks again to the staff. It was wonderful.

• Liked — Beautiful setting and quaint lodge tied to the Von Trapp family history
  • Disliked — We liked everything.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AandKIndiana
Connecticut
Reviewed September 29, 2008

the trapp lodge has great mountain views but the lodge is showing it's age. I expected more for the price. Our first room had a noisy bathroom fan and a very noisy ice machine outside the room. We mentioned this and were moved to another room. This room also had a noisy bathroom fan, so noisy I was concerned it would disturbe the folks above us so we did not use it. Also this room did not have AC just a plug in fan on the desser. The was 78 degrees all night and very uncomfortable.
This was not a good value and i would not go here in warmer weather.. This lodge needs some serious maintenance.
The new Stowe mountain lodge is open and the rates slightly cheaper and a very nice plush resort, my next choice.

• Liked — Mountain views, hiking
  • Disliked — Quality of the accomadations
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed September 27, 2008

Whenever I read reviews for places I have already been, I often wonder why the writers went there in the first place. They often seem to be completely shocked by where they ended up.

Nobody should go to the Trapp Family Lodge if you are looking for ultra-modern luxury or "fast times". We have been staying at TFL for years (7), always in a Guest VHouse, and we simply adore it.

You probably should be clear on the fact that Stowe, Vermont is a small, lovely, and cosmopolitan ski town that attracts year round visitors. Please remember you're in Vermont, not NYC! There are small quaint shops, beautiful art gallerys and right down the road is Cabot Cheese, Ben & Jerrys, and Cold Hollow Cider Mill - simple fun! There are a plehtora of restaurants to choose from from small mom & pop sandwich shops to fine dining. Don't come to Stowe or TFL looking for wild night life. There are plenty of pubs & watering holes, but this isn't Park City.

The drive up to TFL is beautiful, when you arrive it's a step back. The views are spectacular from almost every spot on the property. The guest houses are glorified cabins. Fully heated and with every amenity (no a/c). Rustic and simple furnishings provide comfort after busy days with ample room to move about. The kitchens are small yet fully stocked. I've turned out some beautiful meals from that kitchen and after all these years the only thing I bring are my own spices and a sharp knife. The beds (1Q & 2Tw) are quite comfortable and the bathrooms are small but again, meet every need. The wood burning fireplace is delightful with wood and firestarters provided, and there is a "mud/coat room" that is perfect for hanging coats, storing skis & shoes. The tv is small, but that's a minor complaint. There is a very fast wireless connection. The balcony/porch surely has some of the prettiest views in Vermont.

The pool/fitness building is a short walk away and is gorgeous and never crowded. No, it is not part of the main building (as an earlier writer complained) but the walk is ridiculously short. Book a massage, climb the rockwall or play a game of tennis if weather permits. The main restaurant and the alternate tea room provide consistent and large meals, the atmosphere in both is charming. A daily walk to the bakery on site every morning for fresh baked pastries and breads is sure to add a couple of lbs despite the many activities to keep you moving...or not! Take a wagon ride, look at the beautiful gardens and wildlife in the pastures; hike on property or any of the surrounding areas; drive to the Notch, take the tram at Stowe to the top of the mountain; bike or walk the gorgeous trail in town; drive the toll road and hike to the highest point in Vermont; catch a movie in town, in the lodge or curl up in your own cabin and read a good book., spend an afternoon checking out all the nooks & crannies in the main lodge and looking at the amazing pictures and Trapp Family memorabilia. Sit outside and take in the fabulous beauty that is TFL/Stowe. Our family spent a fantastic day at Laughing Moon Chocolate in town making our own candies, we have also made pottery, gone driving on a search for covered bridges, hiked from the trout lodge and traveled on part of the long trail; so many amazing adventures are to be had in and around TFL/Stowe.

The staff is friendly, efficient and helpful. I can't think of anything we have ever lacked or wanted for. Once, I made the trip with kids but w/o my dh and the bellboy ran right down to my cabin and carried every bag up the stairs for me. No this is not the luxury you'll find at the Stein Ericksen Lodge, but is that really why you're going to Stowe? We'll be going back to TLF in 2 weeks, I'm counting the days!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank gks
Connecticut
Reviewed September 22, 2008

After reading some of the reviews, I feel compelled to write my own. We have been going to Trapp's Family Lodge for 5 years (and this will be our 6th year if I can get a reservation - a family member has been very ill, and I waited too long to make a reservation-my family is very disappointed). We reserve a room (the previous 2 years it has been 2 rooms to accomodate my son/fiance and my daughters' friends) in the lodge around Columbus Day every year. The lodge is simply beautiful, and there are specatacular (and I mean breathtakingly spectacular) views no matter which window you look out of, or which deck you are relaxing on. The dining room in the lodge is superb, be it breakfast or dinner. When we stay, we dine every day/evening in the dining room, because, quite simply, the food is absolutely delicious. My children prefer it also to elsewhere in Stowe. The choices are plentiful, imaginative, and delicious! We love the breakfast buffet/menu also. The choices are such that anyone would be very pleased. The lodge may be expensive, but what most people don't realize is that there are meals included or at a lower cost for children. Believe me, the cost is worth the experience. We travel other places for vacations at other times, but this is our yearly family favorite. My children would rather bypass Disney if they had to choose! The hotel staff are very accomodating, but, to be truthful, we never have to ask for anything as it is always taken care of. My only comment would be that perhaps guests should receive vouchers for one hayride/sleighride, rockwall, activities, etc. To add on additional costs when it is so expensive, seems somewhat wrong. However, this is a specatacular place to visit and stay. I give you my word. We have made this into our family tradition, one that my children have every intention of continuing with their own families. This is where you can get away and BE a family, and make wonderful memories. (The ages of my children are now 15, 16, and 27.) A very happy patron from Connecticut.

• Liked — Everything is always superb!
  • Disliked — No complaints at all.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family