“This Place Is Great!”
Review of Trapp Family Lodge

Trapp Family Lodge
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed August 29, 2008

My wife and I have been to the Trapp Lodge several times with our two young sons, and will likely return. The Inn scores high marks with us on all fronts: ambiance of the Inn, beauty of the grounds, courtesy of staff, quality of food, available activities. In addition, there is a lot of outdoor activity in the Stowe area. The Trapp Lodge, which is steeped in the history of a celebrity family (and NOT at all in a corny or tacky way), has become an annual retreat for us.

• Stayed: August 2008
2  Thank DEYOUNGFAMILY
Write a ReviewReviews (1,381)

Reviewed August 9, 2008

The room (Salzburg Suite, USD 330.-- per night) was nice and modern but not very well insulated. One can hear his room neighbors talking and has to participate in their nightly activities. Next to the swimming pool is not the best place for a loud ventilation system.

From a member of SLH I expect for example room service. After breakfast there is no possibility to neither eat or have a drink in the resort until diner. Mineral water is only available in automatic dispensers - if one has change. In the shop nearby (belongs to the resort) I could not buy any water, I've been sold blue plastic bottles for a considerable amount (USD 6.99 each with the logo of the lodge) and I've been informed that due to ecological reasons this bottles should be refilled with tap water. If the tap water were of so good quality, why is there so much chlorine in it?

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BucheSwitzerland
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Another great trip to the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe. We stayed there at this time last year and loved the environs so much, we returned this year. The location just can't be beat. Beautiful mountains and the grounds of the resort are so lovely. What I like most is the unpretentious nature of the place. The new fitness center and the indoor pool are very nice. The bakery has fabulous pastries. The restaurant however needs to develop a more modern menu with healthy food choices, especially some vegetarian items. The staff were uniformly friendly and helpful.

One item that I did not notice a year ago (perhaps I missed it) and seriously dislike is having dead animal heads hanging in the hallways. It is so out of keeping with the Austrian chalet motif (they are African animals besides) that I'm baffled. One other thing I found annoying this trip is that while the hotel offers computer access there was only one public computer in the business center, and one on the lower level. Each time I tried to use one they were occupied, often by unattended children. Why not have 4 or 5 computers in each location??

Overall this is a wonderful place to stay and I hope to return next summer!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank cateyesinthemoon
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Great Location roughly 1300 feet up with great food at the Tea House and Lodge. The Guest Houses were ok nothing to write home about other than the location facing the mountain. The activities with the heating swimming pools were great along the the hot tub and sauna. They have recently upgraded the fitness center with up to date ammenities. The indoor pool is expected to be closed in the coming weeks for repair though. A great place to relax and take in the beautiful gardens, listen to the birds of nature and chill!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank garystc
Reviewed May 20, 2008

My daughter and I stayed at the Trapp Family Lodge in honor of her lifelong (25 yrs old) love of The Sound of Music story. We were only able to stay one night but the stay far exceeded our expectations. The gardens were incredible. Tulips were at their peak.
The bakery is not to be missed. We didn't realize it was so far down the road but the walk helped us work off the croissants.
We hiked a couple of times and the paths were challenging enough so we felt like we had accomplished something when we got back to the Lodge.
Of course, we watched the short film about the real Maria who is featured all over the hotel in photos.
There was some confusion about the price of the dinner we had. When I booked with the hotel, I was told I needed to make a reservation for dinner. I did that at a later date and was told about a prix fixe 3-course dinner. The waiter told us about it too but when I got the bill, it was priced a la carte. At check-out, they explained that I hadn't pre-booked the meal plan as I had thought. OK, whatever, but the price difference was significant. The meal, however, was delicious.
I had wanted this to be a special mother-daughter trip in honor of her graduation from Penn and it was that.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank Udan
Reviewed May 1, 2008

We stayed for a week in chalet 27B, Village 3, at the end of April/beginning May as part of an exchange within Interval International. Anyone who is concerned about the condition of the units need not be worried, they have been completely renovated to a high standard. Just remember that you'll be staying in Tyrolean style chalets. We were greeted at the reception desk by very friendly and helpful staff - patiently answering all my disjointed questions (we had driven for 9 hours and I was a little fried!) Our unit was spotlessly clean, couldn't have asked for anything better. There is a large master bedroom with full bathroom, a second bedroom with twin beds, a second full bathroom, a small kitchen (well-stocked, the only thing I couldn't find was measuring cups/spoons not a big deal to most people but we love to cook and ate in almost every night so measuring utensils would have been handy), a dining room with a sturdy table able to seat up to 10 people, a spacious living room with fireplace (ample firewood provided), and a balcony able to seat four maybe six people at a pinch. We had breathtaking views over the valley and mountains. Stunning. Village 3 has only four chalets - more secluded and peaceful. Furnishings are relatively new and no longer, as previous reviewers found, cheesy or 70's style. For TV addicts....the television is only 22", lucky we brought our binoculars! Note for those staying during the summer - no a/c. Big bonus is the free wireless internet, very fast connection, we never had a problem using our laptop.
There is an outdoor pool and tennis courts. Also play areas for children. We were impressed with the Main Lodge and also the (new?) Fitness Center with it's beautiful indoor pool (felt like lukewarm water although I was assured it's 85!) and outdoor jacuzzi with great views of the mountains. Unlike me, remember to get your towels from the front desk before going to the changing rooms, and take a lock for the lockers - there is, surprisingly, no way to lock the locker so I ended up having to carry my pocketbook with me. Weight room is fine, also has treadmills and step machines. There is a climbing wall for kids but seems over-priced at $15. We had massages, very reasonably priced, Patti is fantastic. Didn't eat at the Lodge or the Tea Room but we did have strudel and eclairs from the Bakery, heavenly, and while we were there the bakery chef gave us a couple of chocolate cookies straight from the oven....divine.
We weren't in the area for ski-ing but heard that the cross-country ski trails are awesome here. We went hiking several times and really enjoyed the peace and tranquility of the area. There are trail maps available at the Main Lodge front desk, one day we hiked up to the Cabin and back, a loop trail of approx six miles, we thoroughly enjoyed it.
We were looking for a relaxing week but for those who want activities there are various classes and events posted in the Main Lodge lobby everyday. I think they hand out a newsletter each morning with everything listed.
We were very happy with our time at TFL. We were struck by the sense of family and community at TFL that you don't find in other resorts. Reading through the guestbooks left in our unit we realized that some families have been staying in 27B for 20 or so years, we actually met a couple from California who have been visiting TFL every year for 19 years. That many people can't be wrong!!
Feel free to contact me if you have questions; glad to help :-)

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Magnus-Maximus
Reviewed April 22, 2008

We went to TFL during the week between Christmas and New Year's for a holiday getaway. We booked an all inclusive rate that, while it got us a free cross country ski lesson that was really great (fabulous, patient instructor), did not include things like soda for our kids at dinner. You just never knew for sure what was included. The rooms were comfortable but do need updating, especially the bathrooms and TVs. The lodge is cozy and welcoming (lots fo Christmas trees for the holidays) and beautiful in the snow, and the trails are spectacular. The new (2005) fitness center/spa is a great addition and sitting in the outdoor hot tub during an evening snow storm was the highlight of the trip.

Dinner is an all evening affair, and while they are nice to the kids two hours is a long time to sit and the food is not really worth the wait. The dinners were the best - the breakfast buffet was uninspiring and the made to order breaksfast food just so so. Nothing terrible; nothing wonderful either. We have a child with special dietary needs and they did do their very best to accomodate that.

So it was very expensive for what you got but still a unique and enjoyable experience. If they updated the decor and spiffed up the menu it would be really lovely. We would probably not go again (if we were devoted cross country skiers we might, but we're not) but are glad we tried it.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family