“A Step Back in Time”
Review of Trapp Family Lodge

Trapp Family Lodge
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed August 4, 2013

The Trapp Family Lodge seemed like the perfect place to celebrate my fiance's birthday, as the Sound of Music is his favorite movie. I however, am not a fan of the movie, so I feel like I can give an unbiased opinion of the hotel.

Arrival:
You truly feel like you've been transported when you arrive at the Trapp Family Lodge! The outside architecture is quite unique, at least for this part of the world. I think the family stayed true to their roots when they built it. There was a greeter at the door when we arrived, and we knew right away we would be treated well! All of the employees wear uniforms/costumes that tie into the theme. They were all very friendly.

The Rooms:
We spent two nights in a standard room, but there was nothing standard about it at all! Our room had French doors that opened up to a shared balcony overlooking the mountains! It was magnificent! We made sure to catch one sunset and one sunrise while we were there. There are rocking chairs and small tables for those who want to prolong their stay, but it was a little too cold to fully enjoy. Still, we could watch the sunrise from our bed. So, we really didn't need to go outside! The room, including the bathroom were spacious.

The Lodge:
I loved the set-up. To get to our room we had to go through a sitting room. To get to the restaurant, you could go through a library. One night we explored and found a game room. This led to the only disappointment.... there are quite a few fire places in all of these little sitting rooms, but none of them were lit. It would have added just the perfect touch after a long day of skiing, to sit by the fire and play a board game. We still played the game, it just wasn't as fun! They looked like old fashioned wood burning stoves. So, I'm guessing they aren't lit for safety reasons.

The Restaurant:
On our first night, we had dinner at the nicer of the two restaurants. I'm not a big fan of German food, which the menu reminded me of. However, this is the kind of place you can't go wrong. Everything we ordered was delicious, and part of me wanted to come back the second night! I also tried something I'd never had before.... a maple martini! At night, the lodge is lit with little white twinkling Christmas lights. That was our view from the window with the mountains just beyond. Gorgeous! Right before we headed home, we were looking for some place to grab a quick bite. We just decided to head back to the Lodge to try the casual restaurant. It too was very good! Oh, and I almost forgot... also on the property is a second casual restaurant, part of the brewery. It's basically grab and go sandwiches. We ate there for breakfast. We also went back in the evening to try a beer, which my fiance told me was really good. I bought one for my dad and he enjoyed it too. It's a fun little place and it looked like everyone crowded around the bar at night was having a good time.

Activities:
Just look at the activities page on their website! You could spend a week there and never leave the lodge! The only one we participated with the Trapp Family Tour. We did this for my fiance, because he's such a big fan. Needless to say, it was a hit. I even enjoyed it! I will write a separate review for the tour, but the highlight was when Maria's youngest son joined us at the end. My fiance got tears in his eyes, and I did too, because I was so excited for him. That put the extra special touch on the tour.

The Pool:
We had every intention of trying it. However, having it across the street from the Lodge is less than ideal, especially when it's cold outside. It also kept short hours while we were there. We walked over but it was already closed.

And, if you're a really big fan, don't forget to stop in the gift shop, where you can find anything you ever wanted to know about the Trapp Family or the Sound of Music!

In summation, the Trapp Family Lodge blew away my high expectations. I know we will return some day!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Trapp Family Lodge

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed at Trapp Family Lodge in late July and had a great two day stay. We had a room with two queen beds and a balcony in the main lodge looking out over the valley towards the mountains on the other side of the valley. The lodge is situated up above the valley so it has a very panoramic mountain view that is just sublime. I read some of the other reviews suggesting the lodge is dated - I don't agree. While you can tell the lodge was built a few decades ago, it has new carpeting in most areas, is spotless, and well managed. The dark wood trim and the numerous wall photos of the Trapp family from the 40's and 50's do make it feel different than a typical brand new facility, but to us it seemed homey. We liked the fact it is a moderate sized facility, not huge and sprawling like some contemporary resorts. There are a reasonable number of family activities, but not over the top. Others have commented on the price. If the lodge building was on a small lot in the city, I would agree the main lodge rooms are overpriced. But when you consider the magnificent views, peaceful location, and thousands of acres of preserved pasture and forest that are part of the resort, with hiking and biking trails, I think it is a reasonable value. It's a very unique facility that is hard to beat from a scenic standpoint and with an interesting history. We also really enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the main dining room. Our room was very comfortable, and the beds were great. The staff were very courteous and the facility is run with consideration for reducing environmental impact. They have done a nice job with adjoining flower and vegetable gardens and the facility is only a few minute drive from downtown Stowe. For families or couples looking for a peaceful, scenic place to stay that is high quality, I'd definitely recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Rooms facing east over the Stowe valley will have the best view of adjoining mountains, but there ar...
1  Thank R M
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Did an Interval Timeshare trade and was very pleased to be able to book a Trapp Family Lodge Guest House. Beautiful views; plenty of activities within the TFL complex and around the Stowe area. I'd like to have given the stay five stars, but the unit we stayed in was not up to the standards of the rest of the lodge (in need of some upgrades like new windows and some light fixtures and a carpet installed properly). Notwithstanding the beauty and friendliness of the lodge makes it right for the highest recommendation for one to stay. Skip dinner in the Deli/Bakery, but do take in the buffet in the maine dining room (to die for).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sensei-01913
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We just finished a one-week stay at the Villas at the Trapp Family Lodge. It was a wonderful experience. The villa was spacious, well-designed, and very comfortable. It was also very well maintained., and very quiet and restful out in the woods. The grounds and trails of the Lodge are also beautifully kept, and really show off the splendor of Vermont nature. Our meal at the Lodge was delicious, and the service was helpful without being intrusive. All of the staff were friendly and thoughtful. I took full advantage of the tennis program, which had clinics every morning. Special kudos to Mason and Ross, the tennis pros, who were very helpful. Also, Christie gave a terrific massage. This vacation was just what I hoped it would be.

1  Thank hfarbs
Guest-Communications, Executive Assistant at Trapp Family Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Thank you for the glowing review of your recent stay in our luxury Villas. We are delighted you embraced the relaxing solitude of our resort and the comfort and spaciousness of our Villas. It is always nice to hear from a guest who found exactly what they were looking for in their experience with us. We are very proud to be able to offer guests the very essence of what attracted the family to what was their home in 1942 and to become the world class resort it is today. The family discovered this gem of a location while vacationing in Stowe in 1942 and were told about a local farm for sale. When they arrived to look at the property the view reminded them so much of Austria they decided to settle here. Over the years, Johannes von Trapp, youngest son of the Captain and Maria von Trapp, has preserved and kept the resort from being overly developed to allow our guests to come here to rejuvenate, rest and absorb the surrounding mountain beauty. We appreciate you sharing your experience. Cheers! Rebecca

Reviewed August 2, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Trapp Family Lodge. It was a very nice experience--the room we had faced the mountains with a wraparound porch we could walk out to in the evening. Turndown service was available if desired. The rooms and hotel featured many photographs of the von Trapp family throughout the years, and several tours were offered for anyone who was interested in learning more about this famous family. When I had asked about the horse and carriage rides, the woman at the desk told me they are offered Saturdays-Mondays only. Needless to say, I was very disappointed in learning this as the brochures I've acquired and online advertisements from the lodge itself led me to believe otherwise. I was so looking forward to this ride (we were at the lodge midweek). The family cemetery is located nearby, although there is a "Private" sign, so we could view the area from outside this sacred area.

All in all, there are a variety of hiking trails, a fabulous fitness center, a brewery, bakery and two gift shops to visit. We paid $275 per room per night. The restaurant was pretty good but with a limited menu and very pricey. We ended up going to nearby restaurants for breakfast, lunch and/or dinner.

I've wanted to visit the Trapp Lodge for many years and am glad I did. It is truly a beautiful place to visit.

Room Tip: Ask for mountain view or garden view if desired. There is an elevator in the main lodge which we we...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for the lovely review of your stay at our resort. We are so glad you enjoyed the experience but so very sorry that the horse-drawn carriage rides were not available while you were here. Our website advertises select Saturdays and Sundays as the schedule. I apologize that you were given erroneous information but not sure what the source was that informed you. Our horse and carriage rides are provided by an independent contractor who determines her own schedule for her horses. Hopefully you can visit again and enjoy this experience. Thank you for your compliments of our rooms, wraparound balconies and other amenities. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our resort again. Cheers!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

This was our first trip to Vermont and when we planned it, we decided to stay a few days at the Trapp Family Lodge. We are very pleased indeed that we decided to stay at this place. We had heard and read a lot about it and it did not disappoint. I reserved (as I usually do) well ahead of time (as in 3 months ago) so we did get very good rates and our room was very nice with a small balcony over the lobby area with an unobstructed view of the hills. It is a good idea to reserve well before your visit because during our stay the place was sold out due to a number of Youth Lacrosse tournaments in the area. They have a lot of activities at the lodge and we participated in a number of them. In our case all the activities were charged a la carte but do keep in mind that they offer many packages with activities included. The story of the Trapp Family as explained by Sam Von Trapp (Grandson of the Captain and Maria) was excellent and worthwhile. A short film by Maria Von Trapp is worth seeing as well because she tells the entire story and where it deviates from the movie. This short film also shows a trip she made back to Austria after not visiting for so many years. It is worth watching. Do take some of the tours offered. Every day they provide a list of all the tours and activities. The food at both the formal restaurant and the lounge was also top notch (especially the Helles Beer and the Wienerschnitzel). I definitely recommend this place for anyone visiting Vermont in order to, as they say, "experience a little of Austria".

As Always,
Travel Well My Friends!

Room Tip: Reserve with plenty of times and ask about packages.I also think that any rooms in the upper floors...
1  Thank TravelWell101
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is my first review so please bear with me on the descriptions. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms are spacious, the beds comfortable. You actually feel like you are in a different country. The food was excellent and authentic, the staff was very friendly. The family history is displayed all over but it is not overdone. The Trapp family lodge is a great retreat, my teenage children loved the property even though they weren't looking for a "sound of music" experience.

Room Tip: Choose a room In the millennium wing. We had one of the non air conditioned deluxe rooms and it w...
1  Thank Wdwguys
Guest-Communications, Executive Assistant at Trapp Family Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us on Trip Advisor. We are always glad to hear that our enjoy the grounds, food and our friendly staff. It is nice to have an endorsement from your teenaged children - we are pleased that they too enjoyed the stay. We hope to welcome you again to our resort! Cheers! Rebecca