“A Wonderful Ski Vacation...the wait staff set a great example for families”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Trapp Family Lodge

Trapp Family Lodge
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Rochester, New Hampshire
“A Wonderful Ski Vacation...the wait staff set a great example for families”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2011

The muddy ruts of Trapp Hill Road moved the wheels of our car around as we climbed up toward the Trapp Family Lodge. We were finally arriving at our dream destination after having been inspired by the story of the Trapp Family and their journey to America in 1938. It was a photo of Maria von Trapp cross-country skiing in the hills of Vermont that inspired us to take up the sport. What a view as we finally saw the lodge for the first time in its beautiful mountain setting! Our charming room had photos of the family on the wall. The comfortable king bed had a snow white duvet comforter that seemed to float like a cloud. After cross-country skiing on their beautiful sugar trails, we enjoyed tea and cookies in the lounge. There is an indoor pool in the fitness center with easy access from the locker and changing room. A family with two teens gathered snow from around the outdoor hot tub and piled it into snowmen. The dining room is very pleasant. The breakfast buffet has great jams and the dinners have very good entrees which we enjoyed with Vienna beer from their brewery. The pork porterhouse, halibut, and sirloin steak entrees were perfectly prepared and delicious. The herby stuffing in the crabmeat filet of sole entrée drowned out what little crabmeat it contained and overwhelmed the delicate flavor of the filet of sole. The appetizers, soups and some of the desserts need improvement in preparation and quality. The linzer torte is made with raspberry jam and is delicious. Large goblets of delicious Vermont water are served with the meal. The wait staff is gracious and helpful to everyone. They set a great example for families. We were charmed by the family history presentation given by the granddaughter of Baron Georg and Baroness Maria von Trapp. We watched a documentary film called “The Real Maria” narrated compellingly by Maria von Trapp about her life in Austria and her last trip to Salzburg.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elaynenh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

Stowe is a wonderful place to vacation and the Trapp Family Lodge is the perfect upscale getaway. I stayed here with my wife during ski-season. The XC ski trails at the resort are amazing and the guides are friendly and knowledgeable. The staff was helpful and the atmosphere was relaxing and wonderful. I would highly recommend Trapp Family Lodge to my friends.

Farmington, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2011

We have been going to Trapp for years. With the new improvements of trails, fitness center, brew pub and general facilities, it has gotten even better. I am surprised at some of the negative comments I see on tripadvisor, and have to wonder where these people are coming from. The staff has always been wonderful, courteous, and helpful in our experience over many years. Perhaps this is because we also try to be appreciative and respectful. We love the ambiance, rooms, wine tastings, great indoor and outdoor pools, piano bar, yoga, unsurpassable cross country skiing network, proximity to Mount Mansfield and village of Stowe, and the beautiful location. We have travelled all over the world and love returning to Trapp- in fact we are going there tomorrow!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Guest-Communications, Executive Assistant at Trapp Family Lodge, responded to this review, March 28, 2011
Thank you for glowing review of your recent visit with us. We are always delighted when our guests enjoy the many offerings we have at our resort. We look forward to welcoming you back again. Enjoy your stay at our lodge!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Lodge and were joined by three sets of friends that stayed in separate rooms. Here are my thoughts on the lodge:

Service - everyone at the lodge was extremely helpful. The doormen were very helpful, the bar staff was great as were the individuals in the dining room. We left for brunch one morning, put out the service sign and the room had been cleaned within the 45 minutes that we were gone.
Room - Our room (and those of our friends) were all clean and what you would expect in the lodge. The rooms all had seating areas, very comfortable beds and plenty of place to store gear. The rooms and bathrooms were very well maitained and everything was decorated with pictures of Vermont and the family.
Food/Drinks - Brunch is worth the money (try the Muesli). The bar has a good selection of both the lodge's beer as well as local brews.
Activities - The hot tub is perfect - large enough for 20+ people and a great view of the mountains. The pool is very big and the entire fitness center set up is great. Its in a separate building but there are changing rooms/locker rooms. We didn't use the gym but it had weights and a good number of cardio machines overlooking the hot tub and mountains. The cross country ski center is one of the best I've used. The trails are all well marked and maintained with great variety of trails and elevations.
Location - It is about a 10 minute drive to the mountain. Its easy to get a cab to take you into town to the restaurants and bars.

We will definitely stay here again.

1 Thank tbere
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2011

Traveled here with girlfriend and friends recently and the hotel left something to be desired for the price point. Service was mediocre to poor with mishaps including being told the kitchen in the bar would be open later than it was- leading to late arriving friends being left without a meal. We also received fairly rude service from restaurant and bar employees. The room we stayed in was very nice, seemingly in a new wing of the hotel, but other guests traveling with us ended up in rooms in need of a refresh. The hotel is in an incredible location for cross country skiing, and not too far of a drive from the town of stowe or the mountain itself. The hotel brews it's own beer, which is excellent, and overall we found the food to be surprisingly good. As agroup of late 20's couples we found the hotel to be slightly too family oriented, but this is not necessarily a negative merely a pointer. I would say that the hotel is unique, excellent for families and those exctied for snow-shoeing, CC skiing, and other backcountry activities. For younger couples interested in downhill skiing and potentially going out to eat at night, I might recommend staying mountainside or in town.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding your recent visit with us. We sincerely apologize for the problems you encountered in our Lounge and Main Dining Room. More of an effort should have been made to make sure you were accommodated for meals after your late arrival and the expectation of dining being available. The closing times for our dining outlets will be reviewed with all staff to avoid misinformation being shared in the future. We are in the process of targeting specific rooms for upgrades/renovations and your feedback will be shared with our management. Thank you for your compliments of our Trapp Lager - our brewmeister will be glad to know you enjoyed it. Thank you for your referral as a family friendly resort.
Falmouth, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2011

We were there for our 10 anniversary on Feb. 14th. We had plans to have dinner in the dinning room that night but found out after we got there that there was a dress code. Slacks and dress shoes. Sorry I don't bring dress shoes when I'm going to a ski lodge. So we ate in the lodge. My wife's food was great, the tomato bisque and the Trapp potato was great. I just ordered a burger that was terrible. A 1/4 gristle on both side, way over cooked at a high temp.. I asked for medium and it was well done. The burger was a little of half the size of the bun. For $12 that is one overpriced burger. If it wasn't my anniversary I would have made a big fuss about it, but not that night.
The doorman are a complete waste of time. They open the door every time except for when I was leaving with my hands full of luggage.
It's like they just expect you to pay these high prices for the room (by the way our room was perfect, great bed, nice TV, clean) and food, and you should be happy that they let you stay there.

1 Thank dalesstar
We are sincerely sorry for the problems you experienced during your stay with us on Valentine's Day. We received your complaint on February 21st via our Market Metrix survey system and responded immediately. Our discussions by e-mail brought closure to the issues although the last e-mail I sent to you was returned as undeliverable. Please contact me at info@trappfamily.com if you have an e-mail address to which I can forward the returned message. Thank you.
Westfield, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2011

My girlfriend, at the time (keep reading), and I traveled to Stowe in November of 2010 for our 2nd anniversary... we did not stay at the Trapp Family Lodge, but we made plans just to visit. We arrived on a Saturday morning for their history tour. Not only was the tour absolutely excellent, but we fell in love with the grounds as well...

After the tour we went to the Deli Bakery... the beer was FANTASTIC, and the sandwiches were equally as good. Although the service was a tad bit slow (not their fault - there were over ten people and only two workers!), we loved the look and feel of the place. I'm hoping the brewery expands soon so that they can begin bottling.

...We ended up going back to the lodge two more times throughout the day because we liked it so much, and we wanted to experience the hotel at all times of the day! Fanatic? Maybe, but who cares!? The rest of the weekend we just wished we were back there. Shortly after we got home I booked a trip to go back in January!

Two and a half months later we were heading back to the Lodge... little did my girlfriend know I had been planning our engagement weekend. Laura, the wedding planner, was extremely helpful in setting up several activities - horse drawn sleigh ride, reservations, ski lessons, etc. She made it so easy! I can only imagine how responsive and helpful she is when planning a wedding.

Here is a little bit about the hotel in general:

Lodge and Hotel Grounds:
How can you beat the view/location? You seriously can't. As you drive up the mountain you pass the villas (absolutely gorgeous!) on your right, and the Main Lodge quickly approaches just up the road. The resort layout is not too spread out, and everything is easily accessible. There is definitely a rustic feel to the buildings, but we appreciate that look much more than your conventional hotel. This automatically gives you a comforting feel when you arrive. There is great parking right across from the main entrance, and the men at the door are extremely nice. Once we got in and settled we walked around the hotel a bit. There are so many different rooms with fires blazing... very nice!

Check-In / Rooms:
Check-in took all of 2 minutes, and most of that time was the desk attendant saying 'Hello', which was a good start to the weekend. We easily made it to our third floor bedroom on the elevator (slow/out-dated, but only used it because we had our baggage). Our room was number 337, which was a Deluxe room (Standard) with a private balcony. It made it even better that the room was all the way at the end... but I can't imagine the hotel would get that noisy anyways. The room was very, very spacious and nicely appointed - matched the decor of the rest of the hotel. Everything was very clean throughout the stay. The bathroom was nice/sufficient (pressure was great and hot water was consistent).

Fitness Center/Pool:
Although we did not use the fitness center, we saw it. Everything looks new... and from the reviews other people have made, it seems to be nice. We did, however, use the pool and the hot tub - both of which were excellent. The facilities were very clean. We also saw the spa prices - very reasonable.

Ski Center/Lessons/Sleigh Ride:
On Saturday morning we had a cross-country ski lesson with Don... he was awesome! His patience was much appreciated! He made us want to come back again... and after how many times I fell, that says a lot. We also had a sleigh ride with Deb, which starts across from the Ski Center. She is great as well... she was able to take pictures of our engagement (thank you!). I would definitely recommend doing this... why not? You're in Stowe! There are a million things to do here. The only one to blame is yourself if you become bored.

Meals:
Our meals were fantastic! Breakfast was hearty with a wide variety... and all of the food came extremely fast (and hot). I would recommend the blueberry pancakes. Dinner was intimate and taken at our own pace. The wiener schnitzel was incredible. I am seriously looking forward to going back just so that I can order that again. Although the hotel was 84% full (they told me at the front desk), we felt like we were the only ones there.

Overall - if you can't tell from the review - we had an AWESOME time and are looking forward to going back ASAP! I'm very surprised that the hotel is rated #9 in Stowe, because we won't consider any other place now. I thought the touches throughout the Main Lodge that highlight the family history were great. Not once did we think they were hanging on to the Sound of Music, or that it was tacky. If you were a Von Trapp wouldn't you try to keep the tradition?

We hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple