“Quaint and rustic resort with phenominal upscale service”
Review of Topnotch Resort

Topnotch Resort
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 1, 2007

My husband and I visited the Topnotch Resort and Spa for a weekend getaway. I had been to Stowe on a number of occasions, but this was my husbands first visit to the area. It was my first time staying at the Topnotch.

I really enjoyed our stay. We were placed in Room 110 on the first floor. The view was gorgeous. The room was quaint, yet roomy. There was a large walk-in closet, beautiful wooden blinds on the full wall windows, and all the amenties you would need in a room.

The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. The concierge was helpful and always a smiling face. The housekeeping staff was outstanding. Our room was immaculately cleaned.

The spa is GREAT. I had visited the Spa at the Stoweflake Resort and I had very high expectations for the spa at Topnotch. My expectations were exceeded. The facilities were great. My husband and I had a couples massage and loved it. The only complaint about the spa itself is that it focuses around the indoor pool, which was packed with children. I don't mind little ones, but when you just finish a massage and want to relax by the pool, it's not very relaxing. However, there is a jacuzzi, steamroom, and sauna inside the women's locker room and they were much quieter and relaxing.

We had breakfast at Norma's and it was good. I would say that it was a bit overpriced for what you get. The restaurant itself has a nice ambiance, however. The staff was friendly. The food was just average in my opinion.

Overall, I would highly recommend the resort and I'm sure that we will visit again.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Vtnurse78

Reviewed February 10, 2007

I rarely write reviews of my trips but I had to express my excitement over a recent long weekend getaway I spent with my boyfriend up at Topnotch Resort and Spa in Stowe. I'm a cold weather person but my boyfriend is not so he was a little skeptical to take a mountain vacation, even though we didn't have enough time to escape to the beach. Once we arrived at Topnotch, he was sold.

The service was excellent and we really enjoyed our room, especially since I was so close to the Spa! For me, this was the most highly anticipated part of the stay and I was only planning to splurge on one treatment. I ended up booking a facial and a massage and have to suggest the Little River Stone Massage - a treatment using hot stones to warm the muscles and relieve tension. My boyfriend enjoyed relaxing in the room and strolling the town of Stowe. A special mention is also owed to Norma's restaurant at Topnotch. We ended up eating a couple of meals there. The burgers are great and I even enjoyed the Crab Cakes - being from Maryland, I don't usually order them outside the state. The entree was a nice surprise! We would definitely return to Topnotch!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Melantos
Reviewed February 8, 2007

A friend recommended Topnotch since my boyfriend loves to ski but I wanted to relax at the spa. Our stay was so nice - Topnotch was such a cozy escape from the cold VT winter! The spa was a highlight for me - I can't wait to go back there. Especially loved the little touches, like the homemade granola at Norma's for breakfast.

Stayed: December 2006
Reviewed January 29, 2007

I retreated to Topnotch with 8 girlfriends for my 50th Birthday Celebration. The event planners put together an all-inclulsive weekend for us that included staying in two beautiful townhomes, spa treatments for all of us and breakfast and dinner each day. I was treating and was mindful of the total cost. The service, food, decor, spa treatments and ambience all exceeded our expectations. The nine of us relaxed, exercised, bonded, swam, hot-tubbed, ate and were pampered by the amazing staff. We all vowed to go back up as soon as we have two days to spare. What a wonderful place for the whole family, a romantic getaway or a group outing like ours. Topnotch you are my new home away from home. RLF

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank Frequent-Tripper
Reviewed January 28, 2007

We arrived at the resort late on Friday and were greeted by a blazing fire in the lobby area. Anyone critical of the decor just doesn't appreciate what New England is all about. This is warmth and charm, complete with the moose head over the mantle! Check-in was a breeze. We stayed in a luxury room (212), with a gorgeous view of the ski slopes of Mount Mansfield. The decor was lovely, and the king-sized bed one of the most comfortable we've ever slept on. The room amenities were plentiful and of spa-quality. There is a TV with DVD and VCR player, a Sony dream machine clock radio that also plays CDs. The stocked mini-fridge ($) also had ample room for our own personal bottle of wine. Although we did not eat at Norma's (more about that later), we were appreciative of the coffee available near the lobby in the morning, and the baskets of fruit. Each afternoon there are cookies and tea in the lobby.
The staff bends over backwards to make your stay as comfortable as possible. We most enjoyed the turn-down service of the "Jamaican Trio", although we wished it had been a little earlier than 9:30 PM. They would have tucked us in if we'd let them!
Each morning a complementary copy of our Boston area newspaper was left by our door.
We did take advantage of side-by-side massages in the spa. The spa service menu is extensive and the facilities were well-appointed and very relaxing.
The indoor pool area could have used a bit more attention - following the afternoon "apres ski" rush it was littered with wet towels, empty drink containers and no fresh towels available. (of course if people picked up after themselves it wouldn't have looked that way) The indoor pool is large and well-heated. The hot tub has an amazing waterfall feature that feels so good to your neck and shoulder area. This area is almost empty in the early morning and later evening, but expect to deal with droves of loud children, and no available lounge chairs during busier times. We did find the ventilation/heating system to be so loud as to be quite annoying when trying to relax on the lounge chairs. Try the heated outside pool and spa. Despite the minus zero temps - we enjoyed the hot tub under the stars immensly. It is very close to the doors and not an uncomfortable experience despite the cold.
Although not discounted, there are ski tickets available to Stowe, and shuttle service from the door. When we left on Sunday, the bellmen were cleaning the fresh fallen snow off of the cars in the parking lot. On site there were sleigh rides, cross-country skiing and beautiful scenery. Each night they light huge torches outside that reflect beautifully on the landscape.
The only drawback of our entire stay were the unruly children of some of the guests (clearly not the fault of the resort). I am very tolerant of children and enjoy being around them, however there is no excuse for the running and screeching of barefooted young ones in the hallways at 7:00 AM, or offensive behavior around the public areas. This was not the norm of our weekend, and would not prevent us from returning.
We did try the Italian restaurant next door - La Festa, and found it very disappointing. The service was slow, the meal average at best. After being served an entree containing an ingredient I am allergic to (and had previously informed our server), we were not offered any compensatory options such as a free entree or dessert. (Luckily I caught the error in time or the consequences could have been very serious.) I did not enjoy watching my husband eat as I waitied for the mistake to be corrected. I highly recommend the Whip Bar and Grille in the Green Mountain Inn. We enjoyed a superb meal and loved the atmosphere. Wished we had tried Norma's. If you visit, be sure to try breakfast at McCarthy's - delicious hearty homestyle cooking.
Althoiugh VERY pricey, we hope to return to Topnotch.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sippican
Reviewed January 14, 2007

We had a great time at Topnotch!!

Upon arrival we were greeted with a bellman and complimentary valet parking. There is a huge fireplace in the front room that makes the inn smell like a wonderful warm fire. The staff is very friendly and warm and accommodating.

We stayed in an Executive Room on the 3rd floor. (The only thing I didn't like was the tiny elevator -- it made me a bit claustrophobic). The bed was so comfy with high quality linens in place. The towels are 100% Egyptian cotton.

The restaurant (Norma's) was a bit pricey but the staff is very warm and friendly and the food was fabulous!! The coffee is phenomenal.

One of the best parts of our stay was the outdoor pool and hot tub (in the snow in January). It was fantastic!! The pool water is like bath water and hot tob was just wonderful. The indoor pool and hot tub were also very nice. I will say that each day the pool ran out of towels before we got there and didn't restock before we went back to the room -- this was okay, because each room gives you a bathrobe to use and we just wrapped up in those. Also, they were a bit lax about letting small kids use the hot tub which made it only slightly less relaxing.

The bartender in the front bar is wonderful. He is very attentive.

Other perks: free Green Mountain Coffee each morning, free newspaper at your door each morning, tea and cookies each afternoon -- a nice tea selection but the cookies are just okay.

Overall, a totally great stay and we cannot wait to go back!!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank littlecat123
Reviewed January 8, 2007

Top Notch is still a beautiful resort. We found the staff to be very accommodating and friendly. Doorstaff and Concierge (both Chris and Jack)in particular were excellent. Housekeeping needs improvement and service in some of the restautants also needs improvement. Food was wonderful, especially in Norma's. The Spa was first class. We felt that if we were paying a little less we would have given them full marks but when you pay this kind of money the service should be flawless. Overall a very good experience, they just need to bring it up a notch by paying more attention to the little details.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family