“Personal attention and excellent service was the norm”
Review of Topnotch Resort

Topnotch Resort
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersGold level
Alexandria, Virginia
“Personal attention and excellent service was the norm”
Reviewed March 30, 2010

I cant say enough about the standards of service and quality at this hotel. Topnotch has worked hard to bring service and personal attention to a whole new level at Stowe Vermont. This hotel avoids the traps of High end hotels by bringing a very personal touch and a flavor of Vermont. I was very impressed with the personal touches and the extra effort by the entire staff to make me feel like personal guest. The comfort of the rooms cannot be topped. I couldn't believe how wonderful and comfortable the bed was. It was a great part of the experience. I loved my stay there and look forward to a return trip. I was disappointed though that the Tuna dish at the resturant was missing from my last trip there. however the carrot soup was AMAZING. The whole experience at the hotel saved what would have been a very average week of skiing into a vacation worthy of a return trip. Thank you Topnotch.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Savannah
Reviewed March 30, 2010

Our stay at Topnotch Spa and Resort was a wonderful experience! The staff was the best that I have encountered in a long time. Philip Taylor was so pleasant along with his staff, Glenn, Jordan and Brett.
From the time we walked through the door for check in until we checked out, we were treated like "friends" that frequent the resort on a regular basis. Philip, Brett and Glenn were informative about the area and spent time educating us on the Skiing @ Stowe and the everything we would need to no about the mountain. Jordan was an awesome waiter and kept us entertained through out dinner @ Norma's. I was most impressed with hospitality that we received from the staff when we bumped into some of them out side the resort when they weren't even working. They were just as friendly to us on their down time as they were while working.
The room was beautiful and estate as welcoming. The food was delicious and reasonably priced. I recommend it highly as a couples getaway. Loved it and the staff!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
GretaKipp, Manager at Topnotch Resort, responded to this review, April 2, 2010
Thanks for your great feedback! I'm glad to see others recognizing that our staff are so genuinely hospitable, even when you bump into them in town. I think that exemplifies why Topnotch stands alone in trying to provide that "welcome back friends" experience, even to first time visitors. We're grateful that you chose us and even happier that you'll be a dedicated Topnotch guest in the future. Next time, maybe you can top it all off with a wonderful couples' massage!
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 29, 2010

This is truly one of the best hotels I've ever been to.
From our entrance, I knew it'd be nothing short of perfection with its' great big fireplace and marvelous couches and lobby.

With a warm, caring staff that often strikes up conversations with everyone, Top Notch has a very friendly atmosphere that is perfect for families with children.

The spa/pool was way beyond our expectations.
The outdoor pool & hot tub are something to write home about as soon as you relax in them and have a full view of the mountains to look at.
It was bizarre to sit in a hot tub with snow all around, and to just gaze upon Stowe Mountain.

Norma's, the restaurant on the 2nd floor, was amazing.
It is very nicely decorated, good prices, and a very eclectic menu.
It's a trendy cafe vibe, but the quality is superb.
It was so good, we ended up having lunch there too!
(I suggest the French Toast & Thanksgiving Sandwich!)

Overall, this was an amazing experience, and I can't wait to come back this Spring/Summer!

- Vinny

Washington, DC
Reviewed March 16, 2010

I'm not sure where this hotel gets its reputation. They have had a few famous people stay there and perhaps this is why it is so popular and expensive.

The building is OLD, VERY OLD. It looks more like a cheap motel on the drive up. The lobby, elevator and room had a very strange odor - perhaps mildew. The room could at best be described "cute". However,it was again VERY old. The heating system made LOUD noises and the bed was rock hard. Very difficult to sleep in these circumstances.

The staff was overall welcoming. Unfortunately, after one night in the hotel the general manager informed us that our reservation had been "tampered with" and we would either have to leave the hotel or pay a rate 4X the rate that we were quoted. He was rude and totally indignant. I suspect they had overbooked the hotel and since we had a good low rate were "expendable".

This hotel is definetely NOT what it is cracked up to be. I would say it is a 2.5 star hotel at best. Perhaps the charm of the room would make it 2.75 stars but definetely no more and to call if 4 stars is a joke.

I'd be very cautious if you do decide to book with them. I had a printed copy of my reservation but they refused to honor this. I still don't understand - it's a classic bait and swtch that can best be described as a scam.

Do yourself a favor and book at any of the other beautiful 4-5 start hotels in Stowe. We moved to stoweflake and loved it. Stowe moutnain lodge also looked lovely. Save your money and the hassle and go elsewhere - this property is poor and can't be trusted. WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE IVE EVER HAD!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank drburka
GretaKipp, Manager at Topnotch Resort, responded to this review, March 17, 2010
We truly appreciate those guests who chose Topnotch Resort and Spa for their Presidents' Day Weekend ski getaway. It is regretful that this reviewer did not get to enjoy everything that the resort has to offer. Our guests had a wonderful time during this period and I believe further research will confirm that our rates during this period are consistent and fair.

After detailed review, we have concluded that the confirmation letter referred to was altered to reflect inaccurate dates at a rate that was clearly published for non-peak periods.

It is unfortunate that this is not an objective or fair review of this property, its rooms, amenities, and staff. We continue to strive for excellence and based on other reviews, national awards, and internationally recognized rating agencies we feel confident that the Topnotch experience is not accurately portrayed in these comments.
PA
Reviewed March 10, 2010

We just returned from Top Notch yesterday so everything is fresh in my mind. To start this is my first time to Stowe, VT and it was everything I expected and a little bit more. We debated for a few days on wether to stay at Top not or Green Mountain but I am thrilled we choose Top Notch. We arrived at Top Notch Resort, early Saturday morning but early I mean 745am. We went to the front desk to check and see if any chance our room as available and it was so they let us check in! First Perk! We were nervous about the hotel because they said they allowed animals so we booked a executive level room and we had no issues. Either way, it was the tail end of the seaons but we only saw one dog and it was out at the outside pool area so no worries if you arent huge pet people.

Our room was French Country looking and fabulous. The bedding was warm and soft and the room had just the perfect amount of space. They gave you bottled water in the room and had a Kuerig Coffee maker with Green Moutain Coffee. #2 Perk!

The Bathroom was clean and updated with complimentart June Jacobs, Shampoo, Conditioner, Shower Gel, and Lotion. #3 Perk!

The housekeeping staff was perfect.... if you went to breakfast for an hour your room was done and by the time you got back from dinner your room was re-done and your bed was turned down. I like that they gave you clean towels every time, not just 4/day or anything like that.

Every afternoon they have tea and cookies in the living room with the indoor Fire place and it was very relaxing and enjoyable after a long day of skiing.

The Resort itself has a lot of areas for you to just relax outside or your room and you dont feel uncomfortable doing it.

We got Massages at the Spa and laid at the Indoor Pool and went out to the outdoor pool as well. Everything really was "Top Notch" The gym is very nice too.

We didnt eat at Norma's but it looked good, just a bit expensive.

I will definetely return to Top Notch and suggest if you are on the fence between hotels, that this is the order i would suggest. Stowe Moutain Lodge, Top Notch, Green Mountain Inn, Stoweflake, Green Eagle and so on...
Top Notch has a great location and there is nothing at all to complain about!

Also Ben and Jerry's Factory is about 10 minutes outside of Stowe, its a fun spot to spend and hour!

Central Connecticut
Reviewed March 2, 2010

We escaped to Stowe VT for a long overdue getaway and were so pleased with Top Notch.
The staff is very gracious, polite and very informative. The pool/waterfall whirlpool/sauna and workout facility was everything we needed it to be. The water quality of the pool/whirlpool is superb - really clean and light not loaded with chemicals. Norma's restaurant for dinner was the best choice of the night. My husband's eyes popped when he saw his steak plate arrive. The waiter was also very informative - his explanation of the Vermont cheese industry was great. I fell in love with all the hotel furnishings - and the bed was dreamy comfortable with high quality linens. We will definitely go back again to challenge our skiing again at Stowe Mountain and then recover in the arms of Top Notch. PS the free cookies/fruit, and fine tea selections were nice to see - and the turndown service makes a guest feel very special. LK - Connecticut

MA
Reviewed February 25, 2010

We arrived to a watm and efficient check in and had tea and cookies in the lobby by a warm fire. The lobby redo is complete, and has great views Our room was spacious, spotllessly clean, with a bed that delivered a great nitght's sleep. Keurig coffee maker, plush towels, spa robes made it complete.
The staff was visable, helpful, and one step ahead of our needs. Obviously they are a team, and enjoy what they do. A special and warm group of folks.
I had a spa day with the best facial ever, and took two fitness classes in their workout facility. After both I truly felt like a new person. While we were there, Stowe received more than a foot of snow. Great skiing, wonderful to swim in the heated pool outside as the snow fell and then hit the even warmer hot tub and just take it all in. the spa has been recognized as one of the best in the country, I understand why.
That night, dinner at Norma's restaurant. Any sticker shock quickly vanished as we enjoyed several small plates and an entree, plus a great bottle of wine.. The food was absolutely delicious. Evey thing we had was an A plus--truly our compliments to the chef. Ate at the bar and struck up conversations with interesting travellers--this made it even more special.
We hated to leave after three days. I arrived full of stress and left feeling like a new person. What I liked the least was having to leave.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple