“A great time for the whole family”
Review of Topnotch Resort

Topnotch Resort
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My family usually takes a trip to Vermont right before Thanksgiving. We were trying a new place by visiting Stowe an topnotch resort. The resort is beautiful and serene. My kids, 7 and 5, loved the indoor and outdoor pools. Our room was big enough for the 4 of us. It was nicely decorated and bathroom was spacious. We also enjoyed hanging out after dinner at Roost where the kids played shuffleboard and we could have a glass of wine. The spa was perfect. Lovely facilities and the treatment I had was great. Overall wonderful trip and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: November 2013
There are newer reviews for Topnotch Resort

Reviewed November 25, 2013

WOW I can't say enough about how spectacular this resort was and how incredible Vermont is. The people of Vermont are truly the nicest most accommodating folks on the planet. I have traveled to many places around the world and was blown away with people’s sincerity and their accommodating hospitality. The people of Vermont are truly awesome!!!

The other stand out thing about Vermont is the incredible quality of FOOD and the focus on sustainability and eating local. It was so refreshing to see restaurants and even grocery stores embracing a whole local approach to food. I think that Vermont is a real working example of the kind of food communities we should be exercising all across North America.

Firstly the resort is stunning and the facilities are beautiful. It’s impossible to not relax and unwind in the serene setting. Our room was greatly appointed with all the comforts that you need and the bed was AMAZING with beautiful linens.

Both the Roost and Flannel provided superior food options. The kale bruschetta and fried avocado on the small bites menu were so tasty like all the items. The wait staff at the restaurants were incredible and they really went out of their way to provide the best service. Each meal was delicious.

The staff at Topnotch resort was outstanding. It exceeded my expectation and every staff member went above and beyond to make our stay the best it could be. Glen at the front desk was absolutely amazing always providing "topnotch service". Glen helped my fiancé with an engagement that happened during our stay and made the experience so special. Logan was wonderful and took us back and forth from town, giving some recommendations along the way. Carol is a phenomenal concierge with so much knowledge about the area and is such an asset to the team. Her years of experience and her charming demeanor make it a pleasure to talk with her to plan outings and experiences. We have decided to get married at the resort in Stowe in March and I have to say that a big part of the decision was the staff and knowing how well we our guests would be taken care.

If you have any transit needs call Tim at Nantucket Transit Company. He was so friendly and we engaged in some great conversation, but again he went the extra mile stopping at a few places along the way to Waterbury. He even printed out a map for us and called the bus company to which we were traveling on back to Burlington to, to ensure we had the right information and that we would get on the right bus.

These types of people, are what make communities what they are, and Vermont is full of warm people that really want to show you their beautiful state and make your trip really remarkable.

If you haven't been to Vermont you need to go and go soon because it's a truly special place. Staying at the Topnotch will make the trip more then you could have ever expected! This was one of the very best trips I have ever been on.

1  Thank Melanie B
Reviewed November 24, 2013

When I choose to stay in a resort and pay a certain price, i also have certain expectations. They were not met at Topnotch.

Firstly positives
Staff are mainly wonderfully. Especially the staff at Roost and at the Spa. They could not be kinder nor more helpful
Pool, sauna and outdoor pool are nice. I am not sure if it would be nice if full of kids. As it was, there were just couples and it was quiet
The food at Roost, their more casual restaurant, is outstanding. We choose a few appetisers to share. The fried avo was delicious, the peanut sauce great. The Vermont goatcheese yummy but the best was the spicy frito pie. I had never heard of a frito pie. Mmmh, very good.
Prices are reasonable
The resort overall has a nice feel.

Now to the not so nice
I am not a resort person, I prefer cabins or cosy inns but if I choose a resort, it is because I am looking for a bit of extra. A few months ago we stayed at Whiteface lodge and that has set the standard for all future resort stays. Sure, we paid more there but not much more. Also White Elephant a few weeks ago was nice. Both those resorts offered little extras: a table with coffee, teas, cheese, biscuits throughout the day, magazines and papers lying around etc.
none of this was to be found at Topnotch. The greeting at check in was amateuristic and clueless.
No free little bits that makes you feel valued. No slippers in the room. How to get to the pool? We went in our clothes thinking we change there but pool has no decent changing rooms.
The paper offered to us at check in, never arrived.
There is a nice Keurig machine in the room, yet only 2 proper coffee pods with it. Come on guys, you can do better.

So all in all, we felt short changed. I hate feeling that the hotel is trying to cut costs. In a resort you want to feel pampered and luxurious, as is, you get a comfy bed in an ok room in a nice place. Nothing more. There is no waw factor.

Would I stay again? Not sure. If I pick anywhere in that area, I drive a few miles further and stay at the fantastic self catering cabins at the Muddy Moose. sure a different thing entirely but there they know what they are doing. Topnotch still has a long long way to go.

Room Tip: We first were given a room overlooking the car park. Avoid, it is not nice. Then we were given room...
1  Thank Chocolate74
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I brought my young family to Stowe for Columbus Day weekend. Upon arrival everyone was polite, but we were put on a different floor than what we booked and were told that they were sold out for the night. So we went to our room that happened to be directly on the road running along the back of the hotel where you can hear all the traffic and deliveries trucks. Shortly after walking into the room we noticed a light fixture hanging above one of the beds with live wires. Immediately being concerned for the safety of my children in the room I notified the front desk twice about the situation. Finally after an hour a staff member responded and asked us to step out for a while. So we decided to take the children to the pools for an hour and half. When we went back to the room their solution for the night was to duct tape the live wires till the next day. The next day it was finally fixed. This isn’t exactly what we would have expected at all from a 4 start resort and for what we paid. No refund was given for the room either. The Roost bar and Flannel restaurant were setup more towards couples or single people and not young families. We were disappointed with the food and thought it was overpriced so we chose to eat at other establishments in Stowe that were much better and more reasonably priced. We were informed there was a game room, but we didn’t find much of anything. There were some positives and that would be the Mountain View, outside fire pits, pools and gym area.

Room Tip: Recommed booking a mountain view room. Follow up to make sure they haven't changed room assignme...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank MrMayah
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We visited Stowe for foliage viewing and wanted to stay at Topnotch for a night, having stayed here in the past. We had heard about how much the hotel has been improved over the past 2 years. We were not disappointed. The lobby and entry area are newly renovated and the lounge is really nicely done over. The huge spa and both indoor and outdoor pools are terrific and the restaurant was very good as well. The rooms have been spruced up and were fine, though not fancy, they probably are the next project to be done. We would definitely come back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nate E
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Topnotch Resort is beautiful with amazing grounds and facilities. See below for my Pros and Cons:

PROS:
1. The resort is beautiful, luxurious and seems very well maintained. I could not find fault with any amenities on the resort grounds.
2. Do try the wonderful food (including Margarita Fries) and cocktails at their bar.
3. Spa experience was brilliant and the massage was just perfect.
4. Very helpful concierge desk.

CONS:
1. Just one - It is about 5 miles from the Stowe Village area and about 1.5 miles away from the Stowe Ski Mountain Resort area.

All in all, I will definitely be visiting it again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chintan S
Reviewed November 18, 2013

It has been a year since my last stay here and I was worried when I heard the restaurant had changed. I was very happy to see the same chefs. The menu is new, but I think it is even better than last year's menu. As a frequent traveler, I know how fast things can change. I am happy to report the food that I was really looking forward to this trip is just as good, if not better than what I remember.
Jessie, the lunch chef, took great care of me again.
I love not being forced to leave the hotel to get a great culinary experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business