“Dreadful. Avoid.”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York, NY
“Dreadful. Avoid.”
Reviewed December 23, 2007

Topnotch was dreadful. You should definitely avoid this hotel. I decided to stay there b/c of its proximity to Stowe skiing and the pet friendly policy; I was very disappointed.

When I checked in they showed me to a room that smelled disgusting - it was a mix of cigarettes and cheap air freshener. I asked for another room - they showed me to one with ratty decor and a different bad smell. I asked for yet another room - I got an acceptable (not nice) room on the 3rd try.

Throughout my stay things kept breaking in the room - the heat wasn't functioning at one point, the hairdryer was broken, the bedside table lamp didn't work, even the pens on the nightstands were out of ink. The staff did not respond to multiple requests to fix the above items.

The walls in this hotel are paper thin and there were children that sounded like stampeding elephants running up and down the halls at all hours.

Room service messed up my hamburger(!?), the front desk was often left unattended for long periods of time, and the hotel's decor looked tired and drab.

I have no idea why anyone would give this hotel a positive review. I definitely would not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
15 Thank ChefsChoice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Boston, MA
Reviewed December 16, 2007

My girlfriend and I just spent a weekend up at Topnotch, and it was above and beyond anything we were expecting. From the moment we checked in until the moment we left, the amazing staff attended to our every need with a smile.
We were greeted at the front door by Bill the bellman who escorted us to the front desk where Wade informed us that we had been upgraded to an amazing suite.
We dined at Normas that night, which was amazing.
We cant say enough about the beauty of Topnotch and the friendly staff that keeps it running, the management has certainly set themselves up for success.
We cant wait to go back.

• Liked — Staff, location, restaurant, spa, views
  • Disliked — NOTHING!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Bos2n
Manchester VT
Reviewed December 14, 2007

I checked in for a one day conference right after a beautiful snowfall with my wife. The valet and front desk were very professional and helpful. We had a room that supposedly was recently renovated. The decorating was not our style. The walls were pink and the decorating very Victorian. The room was very clean and the linens were good quality and new. The heating system was loud and varied too much in temperature. The biggest problem with the room were the paper thin walls. Shortly after falling asleep, the couple in the next room came into their room. The man was obviously drunk and quite loud. We had to call security twice to ask him to tone it down. An hour or so later we were awakened by loud snoring from next door. It sounded like the snoring was in the same room. For a hotel like this, the walls should be insulated for soundproofing, especially right after a "renovation".

The restaurant was a highlight of an otherwise average resort. The service and food were both excellent. The wine list was a little sparse.

The Spa was probably the biggest disappointment. The facilities are very nice, but the staff seemed disinterested and poorly trained. The Spa director at Topnotch should visit other top rated spas to understand what the best spas are doing. This place has a lot of potential.

I undertand that a major $50+ million renovation is scheduled for next spring. I would suggest that until the upgrades are made, the Topnotch resort should consider reducing their rates.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank tarheelnVT
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 7, 2007

Stowe is a lovely New England town, with many little shops and restaurants, and many nice places to stay. We recently spent the weekend at Topnotch, which I had visited once before, and had a delightful time. The hotel itself is unimpressive from the outside; the drive up, past twinking Christmas lights was pretty, but the entrance into the hotel is rather drab. The hotel building itself is rather rambly; it has long winding halls and a confusing layout.

But the spa! Oh, the spa...it is excellent. First class services, excellent facilities, all you could want in a spa and definitely worth the price. I had the stone massage (fantastic) hamman foot ritual and a vermont herbal wrap - I was so relaxed I was almost comatose. The maincures/pedicures were nice too, nothing too unusual, although Larry, the only male pedicurist I've ever had, gave me one of the nicest ones ever. I would say that the management could try to maintain a quieter atmosphere in the lounge, which was taken over by a large group of very chatty women while we were there.

Service was excellent - the concierge, Guy, could not have been more accomodating, recomending an excellent local restaurant (Steve and Erika's) and arranging for the bellman to drive us there in a hotel car. Perfect.

One thing that does need attention at Topnotch is the food service. It is poor at every level. The room service was late and cold (delivered to the wrong room) Norma' s restaurant, while attractive, was mediocre at best, and the food delivered to us poolside looked like it was take out from a local sandwich shop. Oh no, no, no. Please Topnotch, get a food service director in there and shake the place up from top to bottom.

Our room was absolutely lovely, but it was one of the most exxpensive suites, and for the price, it should be.

Overall, a nice visit, and we'll be back.

• Liked — The spa
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank RdSxfn
Toronto, ON
Reviewed December 7, 2007

A dream vacation. I visited Topnotch this past summer with my family. The resort has recently been renovated and it is Top Notch. The rooms are so beautiful you almost don’t want to leave.
The Spa is magnificent. I had a swedish massage and wished my hour wasn’t up so fast. The outdoor pool is amazing. I love to swim laps and looking up to see the mountains, I though it just can’t get any better. At 4:00 p.m. in the lobby tea and cookies are served daily. Every kind of cookie imaginable is available. The kids (and dogs) just love it. We went to Norma’s for dinner. You must try the filet, one of the best I’ve had. I also left some room for Norma’s birthday cake (it even comes with a candle.). The service is first rate. The staff cater to your every need. We are going back in December and I am counting down the days. I highly recommend Topnotch, a first class resort with something for everyone.

• Liked — Fabulous rooms!! Excellent & friendly service! Amazing Spa & Pool!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank StaceyDC18
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed December 6, 2007

My husband & I visited Topnotch this past summer for 3 wonderful nights. We heard great stuff about this resort, but even more excited to see all their recent renovations; Large & beautifully decorated rooms, two new swimming pools & especially loved the outdoor whirlpool, (open in the winter) with awesome views of Mt-Mansfield.

If you go, highly recommend Norma's restaurant, chefs grill the best Filet you can imagine, but can't forget that Tuna Two ways.

After few nights, we were truly relaxed & pampered to the Max. Really helps that Topnotch staff is so friendly,

Simply the Best & reserved for this coming Christmas,

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel36
ottawa,ont
Reviewed December 1, 2007

We spent a long weekend at top notch recently and had a wonderful relaxing time the staff were friendly and helpful the room was large and clean and very charming. The main area could use a little updating, but hope when they do, they keep the moose. The Spa was nothing short of perfect, although there were unattended children in the adult only pool outside( not really the spas fault, but watching someone elses children didn't figure into a romantic spa weekend) maybe they could install a key activated gate at the pool area to prevent this, otherwise the facility is beautiful and the treatments well worth it and reasonably priced. Norma's was expensive but the food was good and service excellent, they even gave us complimentary cocktails went our table was a little late getting ready ( and we really weren't upset). Overall we were very pleased and can't wait to return.

• Liked — spa
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple