“The location is perfect”

Golden Eagle Resort
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Coalville, England
“The location is perfect”
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Everyone can find minor faults if they look but I really can't dwell on them.

This was the best hotel I have ever stayed in.

The location is stunningly beautiful (we did have fantastic weather).

The facilities are top notch (we spent two wonderful afternoons in the pools and health suite).

The staff are some of the best ever - the wonderful waiter in the cafe gave me detailed written instructions about the best route to find covered bridges - something he was rightfully proud off.

...and the breakfast itself could not be faulted.

All in all easily the best place I have ever stayed.

Thanks

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank CoalvilleTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
ga
Reviewed April 13, 2010

My 2 teens & I traveled again to Stowe for some late season skiing and had stayed here
last year in a verandah room. This year, we had a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen and fireplace (never used it though) and loved having the extra space to really spread out. Because of the lateness of the season, the rates were I thought very reasonable for the amount of room we had. My 3 less than positive impressions were a)the water pressure in the shower was really pretty poor, b) the decor remains dated and c) the indoor pool closed earlier than posted hours and whirlpool was closed for repairs. However, the amount of room we had, the full kitchen, and the included breakfast made up for these things.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Massachusetts
Reviewed March 26, 2010

Clean, quaint, fresh cookies. Need I say more? Comfortable beds, minifridge, pretty well accomodated room. Stayed one night during ski trip. Super friendly staff. Didn't use any of the amenities outside of room so I can't speak to those, but my experience here was totally positive. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank poloxamer
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 24, 2010

As an amateur skier, a hot tub was necessary in the hotel I was booking. My girlfriend and I got much more than we had expected. On arrival we were upgraded to a better room. We had a king bed, a whirlpool, fireplace, and balcony, AMAZING! In addition to the room the fitness centre/spa was incredible. Enough amenities to get a good workout, have a nice swim in a warm pool, then a sauna, and round it off with a hot tub... one night we were too tired so we just used the whirlpool in our room. To top off our stay, the breakfast we received was not the expected continentel...oh no... we were allowed to choose from half the menu at the cafe at the resort. INCREDIBLE! the food was delicious, I even crave it now, even the coffee was delightful. It was a perfect start to a long day of skiing, and for me a lot of crashing.

A definite must for couples or families, lots to do, amazing staff, amazing place. I will absolutely return.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 10, 2010

Stayed here in the early ski season. Was very pleasantly surprised by the amenities and aesthetics. Incredibly reasonable price for a weekend during the season (even if it was early). Comfy beds. Good WiFi. Couch. Nice showers w/ one of those awesome heat lamps. Good TV channel selection. Breakfast was included - and it was a GREAT breakfast. Service was . . . estranged. But didn't detract too much. Almost all the food was locally grown or made. Enjoyed a great meal every morning. Short drive to Stowe. We also went to Sugarbush in good time from there. My biggest complaint was some strange clicking noise that could not be stopped during the night. I did not sleep well at all any night there. Lightly complained to management after our stay (skied all day each other day and never minded to complain earlier) and they apologized and gave us a few gifts. We did find all the hotel staff very friendly and accommodating. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank phyrn
Stratford
Reviewed March 2, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel on a ski trip to Mt. Stowe/ I chose this hotel based on several different reviews I read all over the internet. The location is about 15 min or less away from Mt. Stowe. The breakfast that was included in our room rate was incredible. That was the best value. Our bathroom had a heater in it. It was great coming out of a hot shower to a hot bathroom on a cold Vermont day. We did use the pool and sauna and hot tub and I can say the only complaint is that the spa area smelled a little musty. They needed to get some fresh air in there. All in all I would say go for it if you were looking to stay. We had a great time!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Collingwood, Ontario
Reviewed February 22, 2010

We arrived in the wee hours about 12 hrs ahead of schedule and picked up a room for an extra night without a fuss. The next morning we checked into our proper room & spent the next 3 nights after skiing & snowshoeing the area. The staff we very helpful especially when some property was lost then found. The spa was a real treat after skiing. The rooms were clean, tidy and easily accessible. No stairs or elevators from the parking lot to the pillow made the stay that much more enjoyable. Breakfasts at the Cafe were the simplest part of this pampering weekend. Definitely a great place to stay & close to all amenities. Worth the 9 hr drive for a return visit.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple