“Loved the Golden Eagle”

Golden Eagle Resort
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Bensalem, PA
Reviewed March 12, 2006

We stayed at the Golden Eagle Resort for 3 nights in the beginning of March 2006. What a great time we had. My husband and I were there for a getaway from the kids. We were there Sunday through Wednesday and had a lot of fun. The breakfasts at the hotel were fantastic. I expected a buffet and was pleasantly surprised to find a menu with many choices cooked to order. The rooms were clean and the pool and hot tub were great to go to after a long day of activities. The location of the hotel is ideal, being walking distance to the village where there are many shops to browse. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. I especially loved the wine and cheese reception on Monday nights. I also liked the private entrances to the rooms. I could not find one negative thing about this place. We are considering bringing the kids for a summer vacation there (they also have kids nights that I know my kids would love). If considering going to Stowe, I would highly recommend staying at the Golden Eagle and also a dinner at the Sunset Grille and Tap room. The best BBQ sauce and hot wings I have ever had. Make sure to try the Baby back ribs!!! We went 2 out of the 3 nights we were there.

• Stayed: March 2006
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed February 4, 2006

A great hotel in a fab location. Its about 6 miles from the skiing resort itself - but its a lovely drive plus there are loads of amenities nearby. Worth spending a few extra bucks on a deluxe room - loads of space and great views from the balcony. Breakfast is excellent - in a really nice location. Swimming pool and spa was great fun and very relaxing after a day's skiing. Reception staff couldn't have been more helpful. Overall an excellent hotel and one we'll be returning to I'm sure.

11  Thank THJ
London
Reviewed February 3, 2006

We spent an enjoyable week here while skiing at Mount Mansfield/Spruce Peak. It is a very comfortable place with decent spa facilities with a 50 foot swimming pool. We even had a couple of massages which were very good.

The room was large and comfortable, if a little worn. The service was good and there is a nice lodge where you can sit in front of the fire with a complementary cup of coffee and free access to the internet (which we are using now!).

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 21, 2006

The thing to know about the Golden Eagle is this - all rooms are not created equal. We had originally booked a "deluxe plus" room w/king bed and jetted tub; upon arrival we found this room to be small, dingy and depressing. We immediately called the desk and asked to see another room (which was not a problem since it was a Monday), and the next room we were shown - a deluxe w/ 2 queens and large balcony - was lovely - warm, pleasing decor, spacious layout, nice view from the balcony, and great amenities, which included a pantry nook w/fridge and coffee maker, iron and ironing board and blowdryer. Baseboard heat with wall thermostat is really nice, too - absolutely silent and maintains very even temperature. The staff were super nice about letting us change rooms even though we were downgrading (although this might be a bit more of a problem on a busy weekend). I had read in one of the reviews that the beds were hard; I am so picky about this that I had brought a roll of mattress foam but didn't end up needing it- our beds were pillowtop and very soft and comfy. Yes, the bathroom was small, partially because the sink is outside of it (which we actually liked). But the bathtub itself was quite large, with unlimited really hot water, and a hand-held shower attachment - big plus for my long thick hard-to-rinse hair. The room was very quiet mostly; during the weekend there were some kids in a nearby room who ran around a lot, which caused some thumping, but nothing too bad, and was totally silent the rest of the time.
The property itself is in a great location; right in town but set back from the road instead of right on it like many of the other hotels in Stowe. The Eagle has the look and feel of kinda being its own little village - very nice and pretty! The hiking trails adjoining the property are great, too, enough to go out and get your heart rate up or enjoy some scenery, right outside your door. There is not much workout equipment in the fitness center, but the hottub, sauna and pool areas are very nice, and if you want a more complete workout just go right up the road to the Stowe Gym and buy a day pass.
I am not a breakfast eater, but my husband went to the Colonial a couple of times (it was included with our room rate) and was impressed.
The Golden Eagle gave us everything we wanted, but it is not a "luxury" hotel. Neither are you are paying luxury prices, nor going through luxury hassle - I personally thinks it's great to be able to pull the car up right outside the room door! I would not have believed that this hotel could be that great for the price (it's fairly inexpensive on the scale of Stowe lodging) had I not read all the positive reviews. Once again, Trip Advisor did not let me down - this hotel really was perfect for us, and I can't think why we'd stay anywhere else in Stowe (provided the same quality of room was available).
Stowe itself was a wonderful vacation destination and lived up to our expectations in every way as well.

13  Thank shadowing
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed January 10, 2006

I have stayed at the Golden Eagle Resort several times. The whole city is fascinating to visit. But especially just walking around the resort's property and going to teatime in the lobby. I also think that the Colonial Caffe's Vermonter and Hilltopper are extraordinarilly wonderful! The resort makes me feel at home!

• Stayed: June 2002
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 21, 2005

The Golden Eagle is a middle class hotel. It was rated as a 3 Star hotel which I don't really agree with. I would say it's a two star accomodation but since we saved about 70% on the listed room price we still felt it was a decent value. I would've been very upset if we had paid full price for the room.

The Room we had (107) was very musky and it's tough to air it out in November by leaving the door or windows open. The bathrooms are small and the beds were VERY hard. The bathrooms didn't bother us but we did have a hard time sleeping as we are used to a soft pillowtop mattress at home. The staff was very friendly and the location is outstanding. It's both a short distance to downtown and to the mountain. It couldn't have been more ideal. Also, stay away from the Colonial Cafe. It is a nightmare! It took us an hour and 40 minutes for breakfast and when we left the couple that came in before us hadn't even received their food yet! Maybe they were short staffed because it was the off season but I will never go there again! There is a great breakfast spot (McCarthy's) right across the street that is 100 times better in every sense.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank Clevsteamer
Reviewed November 16, 2005

We stayed in a Superior Room at the Golden Eagle Resort in Stowe over two nights in the last week of October 2005. It was the period when Hurricane Wilma became a nor'easter and caused quite a lot of snow in Vermont and largely blanketed the fall foliage. Quite a bummer, since our trip was primarily for the fall foliage, but we made the best of it.

The resort was a stone's throw from many restaurants lining Mountain Road. The room we got was right next to the lobby (room 105 if I remember correctly). It had a musky smell when we first stepped in, but it soon dissipated after we left the veranda door opened for a while. The room came with TV, air-conditioning and a refrigertor. It was clean, but I won't say spick and span. The bathroom was really tiny - imagine the space of a typical bathtub, the toilet right beside it and the remaining space for the door to swing open, and that's the total bathroom area. The sink was outside the bathroom, which was a lil' bit odd. The rest of the room was, however, rather spacious and more than enough for the two of us.

The daily breakfast was at the Colonial Cafe a short walk to the other end of the resort. Breakfast consisted of eggs, waffles, sausages, maple syrup and other typical breakfast ingredients whipped up in a myriad of different ways and combinations. Service was prompt and polite, even though I think they were shorthanded on our last day.

No major complaints, great place to stay and a decent rate.

• Stayed: October 2005