The thing to know about the Golden Eagle is this - all rooms are not created equal. We had originally booked a "deluxe plus" room w/king bed and jetted tub; upon arrival we found this room to be small, dingy and depressing. We immediately called the desk and asked to see another room (which was not a problem since it was a Monday), and the next room we were shown - a deluxe w/ 2 queens and large balcony - was lovely - warm, pleasing decor, spacious layout, nice view from the balcony, and great amenities, which included a pantry nook w/fridge and coffee maker, iron and ironing board and blowdryer. Baseboard heat with wall thermostat is really nice, too - absolutely silent and maintains very even temperature. The staff were super nice about letting us change rooms even though we were downgrading (although this might be a bit more of a problem on a busy weekend). I had read in one of the reviews that the beds were hard; I am so picky about this that I had brought a roll of mattress foam but didn't end up needing it- our beds were pillowtop and very soft and comfy. Yes, the bathroom was small, partially because the sink is outside of it (which we actually liked). But the bathtub itself was quite large, with unlimited really hot water, and a hand-held shower attachment - big plus for my long thick hard-to-rinse hair. The room was very quiet mostly; during the weekend there were some kids in a nearby room who ran around a lot, which caused some thumping, but nothing too bad, and was totally silent the rest of the time.
The property itself is in a great location; right in town but set back from the road instead of right on it like many of the other hotels in Stowe. The Eagle has the look and feel of kinda being its own little village - very nice and pretty! The hiking trails adjoining the property are great, too, enough to go out and get your heart rate up or enjoy some scenery, right outside your door. There is not much workout equipment in the fitness center, but the hottub, sauna and pool areas are very nice, and if you want a more complete workout just go right up the road to the Stowe Gym and buy a day pass.
I am not a breakfast eater, but my husband went to the Colonial a couple of times (it was included with our room rate) and was impressed.
The Golden Eagle gave us everything we wanted, but it is not a "luxury" hotel. Neither are you are paying luxury prices, nor going through luxury hassle - I personally thinks it's great to be able to pull the car up right outside the room door! I would not have believed that this hotel could be that great for the price (it's fairly inexpensive on the scale of Stowe lodging) had I not read all the positive reviews. Once again, Trip Advisor did not let me down - this hotel really was perfect for us, and I can't think why we'd stay anywhere else in Stowe (provided the same quality of room was available).
Stowe itself was a wonderful vacation destination and lived up to our expectations in every way as well.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ideally located at the edge of Stowe Village. Indoor and outdoor pools, fitness center and spa, family programs, hiking trails, fishing ponds and complimentary WiFi. Wide variety of comfortable and reasonably priced accommodations and travel packages. A variety of rooms are available which include standard guest rooms, suites, cabin rentals and house rentals. Golden Eagle Resort is also walking distance to downtown shops and restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Golden Eagle Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Golden Eagle Resort At Stowe Hotel Stowe
- Golden Eagle Resort Stowe, Vermont
- Golden Eagle Hotel Stowe