“Third visit to the Golden Eagle”

Golden Eagle Resort
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We just completed our third stay at Golden Eagle and we keep finding more reasons to go back. This trip was an adjunct to picking up college students for spring break, so we booked a two bedroom, fireplace apartment. As this was the first time we had done so, we learned that these four apartments are located by themselves in a bulding across Mountain Road from the main resort. If you have stayed here before, you know this is not a problem, as the resort is fairly large and you get accustomed to walking from building to building. For families needing plenty of room, I would recommend these. Ours unit was located on the second floor. It had two nice sized bedrooms, which were a half flight up steps from the open main living room/dining area and was separated from the full service kitchen by an island. The facility had a full bath up and a powder room down. With a pull out queen size sofa in the living room, and two twin and a queen size beds in the bedrooms, we found the unit easily accommodated six people. The facilites are kept fresh, clean and nicely appointed. There is sufficient dining, glassware and flatware for six, and cook ware that would allow you to easily eat-in. The unit has a dishwasher, coffee maker, a table for six and, of course, a good-sized fireplace with a supply of logs for you to burn.

The restaurant provides a nice option for those who do not want to cook breakfast, and it was an easy walk for us. One of party took advantage of the snowshoe trails that encircle the resort, and connect with the town trails. She happily spent two hours shoeing while the others headed to the mountain for the day. For those who do not have their own snowshoes, the resort has pairs that you can use. As with the main resort buildings, the apartments had free, wireless internet service... an absolute must for all the devices college students (and the parents) carry with them.

At the end of the day, the Golden Eagle offers staffed exercise facilities, a spa, a large hot tub and swimming pool for winding down. The locker rooms have showers, hair dryers and towels are provided for guests. It is a great way to loosen up before dinner at one of Stowe's many great restaurants.

This is a great, family resort, with good value. As prior reviewers have commented, it is charming and gives you a true taste of Stowe. Although it is not new, it has been very well maintained and I strongly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: If I am staying here just to ski, I like one of the rooms near the restaurant. They are quiet and I...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank BillynMargo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,151)

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed during the Winter break week with our kids and we very impressed with the facilities. Everything was very clean and well positioned for our comfort. The Pool and game room were great for our kids to burn off extra energy. The staff was very friendly and reactive to any question or needs that we had. The breakfast plan that was included in our room rate was excellent and is most likely the best breakfast you can get in Stowe.
We will be staying at the Golden Eagle next winter based on our experiences this year.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Joe R
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We've stayed here 3 years in a row, so clearly we keep coming back for a reason. The hotel is old school Vermont, rustic and charming in a way that must have been what is was like to come here 50 or 60 years ago. I was reading that they've been using the same local egg supplier for their restaurant since the hotel first opened, and I like the fact that they support the local Vermont dairy farmers and suppliers. Incidentally, the included breakfast was excellent, with some of the best homemade 7 grain bread I've ever had. The local eggs, the Cabot cheese, the real maple syrup...it all tastes like Vermont, and it was so much better than the factory made, overly processed garbage you get with some hotel breakfasts. Anyway, I digress... Every year we've had a different room in a different building, and they each had a very different feel. This is definitely not a cookie cutter type place at all. Having said that, some rooms are nicer than others in my opinion, so it might be worth your effort to book one of the better, or deluxe rooms, as I think they call it. If I had to nit pick about one thing, it's that the WIFI was pretty slow and unreliable, but maybe sometimes we all need to turn off the WIFI and step back and enjoy the clean Vermont mountain air with the people we care about, and communicate verbally instead of electronically for a while. I think the fact that this hotel not too glitzy is part of the appeal to us. If you want more posh posh accommodations, you can certainly stay up the road somewhere and probably spend 3 times as much money, and rub elbows with the jet set, and show off your new designer ski clothes. However, if you're done skiing for the day and you're looking for a nice, simple, relaxing, down to earth family place with an awesome pool, hot tub, sauna, exercise room, game room, then this is it.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank OutOfOffice4Good
nvd_stowe_vt, General Manager at Golden Eagle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for your nice comments, and we're pleased that you noticed and appreciated our commitment to providing a high quality breakfast using as many local products as we can. It seems to be a highlight of many of our guest''s experience here at the Golden Eagle.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Neil Van Dyke
Owner/General Manager

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed at the property for three days & would have stayed longer had we not been hit with a blizzard back home. That said we found the check in process quick & prompt. The staff very helpful & courteous. The room was quiet, clean & comfortable, just what you need after a long day of skiing. Having breakfest available on the property was most welcoming & the meals more than enough to start your day on the slopes. Overall we were quite satisfied with the Golden Eagle & expect to stay here again next ski season.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have stayed at the Golden Eagle over the years (probably 12 years) because of the reasonable rates. Not only are you in a good location, but a great breakfast is included. The rooms have not changed much, but they seem to update a bit. There are fresh cookies, tea and coffee in the lobby. They provide an exceptional value with the breakfast menu. The owners include a nice touch in the rooms with Cabot cheese and crackers, Lake Champlain chocolates and maple sugar candy. They used to include apple cider, but maybe that got too pricey. I am sure that the hotels charging three times the price for a rack rate do not include ammenities such as a frig, coffee maker, treats and free breakfast. This is far from an upscale hotel, but if you are going to Stowe to ski and dine at the many fine restaurants, you can't go wrong staying here!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karyn M
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I wanted to do a quick weekend ski trip to Stowe. We chose Golden Eagle because of the more reasonable pricing as compared to the prices at the lodging at the mountain. This is an older place and could use some updating however it wasnt surprising given the price. It satisfied all our basic needs with a decent place to sleep and a hot tub to use after a long day of skiing. There was a small fridge in the room but no microwave. The coverlet blankets seemed really old and we did not use them. Our deal did not include any breakfast, however right across the street there was a good bagel shop we went to in the morning. I would probably stay there again, but not if I was planning a more romantic trip or trip with multiple people. There aren't many newer hotel properties to choose from in the area that are under $200, so we were satisfied.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I spent last weekend at the Golden Eagle, The place is clean, the staff is friendly and the price point is great. There is pool, hot tub, & gym. I loved the old school game room with air hockey,ping pong and pin ball machines. It reminded me of my youth ski trips to the White Mountains. The breakfast is the best part so please get the breakfast plan. The dining hall is in the original Alpine Lodge building which is a authentic "A "frame ski chalet style with a fireplace. The large windows overlook the evergreen trees and snow covered ground. It was a great place to start the day with hot cakes and all the trimmings. Our friends were staying down the street at the Stowe Flake and they were jealous when they saw our authentic New England resort. We stayed here at a fraction of the cost. I am also glad a place is still affordable for us middle class folks. I highly recommend the resort.

Room Tip: I liked the sunny room I had #102. It was not top of their line but sunny with a back terrace. I did...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends