“We keep coming back for a reason”

Golden Eagle Resort
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We've stayed here 3 years in a row, so clearly we keep coming back for a reason. The hotel is old school Vermont, rustic and charming in a way that must have been what is was like to come here 50 or 60 years ago. I was reading that they've been using the same local egg supplier for their restaurant since the hotel first opened, and I like the fact that they support the local Vermont dairy farmers and suppliers. Incidentally, the included breakfast was excellent, with some of the best homemade 7 grain bread I've ever had. The local eggs, the Cabot cheese, the real maple syrup...it all tastes like Vermont, and it was so much better than the factory made, overly processed garbage you get with some hotel breakfasts. Anyway, I digress... Every year we've had a different room in a different building, and they each had a very different feel. This is definitely not a cookie cutter type place at all. Having said that, some rooms are nicer than others in my opinion, so it might be worth your effort to book one of the better, or deluxe rooms, as I think they call it. If I had to nit pick about one thing, it's that the WIFI was pretty slow and unreliable, but maybe sometimes we all need to turn off the WIFI and step back and enjoy the clean Vermont mountain air with the people we care about, and communicate verbally instead of electronically for a while. I think the fact that this hotel not too glitzy is part of the appeal to us. If you want more posh posh accommodations, you can certainly stay up the road somewhere and probably spend 3 times as much money, and rub elbows with the jet set, and show off your new designer ski clothes. However, if you're done skiing for the day and you're looking for a nice, simple, relaxing, down to earth family place with an awesome pool, hot tub, sauna, exercise room, game room, then this is it.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank OutOfOffice4Good
nvd_stowe_vt, General Manager at Golden Eagle Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Thank you for your nice comments, and we're pleased that you noticed and appreciated our commitment to providing a high quality breakfast using as many local products as we can. It seems to be a highlight of many of our guest''s experience here at the Golden Eagle.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Neil Van Dyke
Owner/General Manager

There are newer reviews for Golden Eagle Resort

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We stayed at the property for three days & would have stayed longer had we not been hit with a blizzard back home. That said we found the check in process quick & prompt. The staff very helpful & courteous. The room was quiet, clean & comfortable, just what you need after a long day of skiing. Having breakfest available on the property was most welcoming & the meals more than enough to start your day on the slopes. Overall we were quite satisfied with the Golden Eagle & expect to stay here again next ski season.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I have stayed at the Golden Eagle over the years (probably 12 years) because of the reasonable rates. Not only are you in a good location, but a great breakfast is included. The rooms have not changed much, but they seem to update a bit. There are fresh cookies, tea and coffee in the lobby. They provide an exceptional value with the breakfast menu. The owners include a nice touch in the rooms with Cabot cheese and crackers, Lake Champlain chocolates and maple sugar candy. They used to include apple cider, but maybe that got too pricey. I am sure that the hotels charging three times the price for a rack rate do not include ammenities such as a frig, coffee maker, treats and free breakfast. This is far from an upscale hotel, but if you are going to Stowe to ski and dine at the many fine restaurants, you can't go wrong staying here!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karyn M
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I wanted to do a quick weekend ski trip to Stowe. We chose Golden Eagle because of the more reasonable pricing as compared to the prices at the lodging at the mountain. This is an older place and could use some updating however it wasnt surprising given the price. It satisfied all our basic needs with a decent place to sleep and a hot tub to use after a long day of skiing. There was a small fridge in the room but no microwave. The coverlet blankets seemed really old and we did not use them. Our deal did not include any breakfast, however right across the street there was a good bagel shop we went to in the morning. I would probably stay there again, but not if I was planning a more romantic trip or trip with multiple people. There aren't many newer hotel properties to choose from in the area that are under $200, so we were satisfied.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I spent last weekend at the Golden Eagle, The place is clean, the staff is friendly and the price point is great. There is pool, hot tub, & gym. I loved the old school game room with air hockey,ping pong and pin ball machines. It reminded me of my youth ski trips to the White Mountains. The breakfast is the best part so please get the breakfast plan. The dining hall is in the original Alpine Lodge building which is a authentic "A "frame ski chalet style with a fireplace. The large windows overlook the evergreen trees and snow covered ground. It was a great place to start the day with hot cakes and all the trimmings. Our friends were staying down the street at the Stowe Flake and they were jealous when they saw our authentic New England resort. We stayed here at a fraction of the cost. I am also glad a place is still affordable for us middle class folks. I highly recommend the resort.

Room Tip: I liked the sunny room I had #102. It was not top of their line but sunny with a back terrace. I did...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank PickyPete7
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Went to Stowe for a quick weekend of skiing and stayed at the Golden Eagle. We booked fairly close to the dates of our stay, but did so through an online source. Due to some family stuff, we had to change the trip dates, and I was afraid that we'd lose a very good rate. The staff at the Golden Eagle could not have been more helpful in changing our arrangements and extending the rate for an additional day. We also added in a breakfast plan for boty my son and I.

Arrival was simple and efficient. I was asked for a voucher, but when I stated I had no idea what they were speaking of, it was not big deal. We also had the hotel arrange for multi-day lift tickets for us, which were all set. We were given directions to our room which was an upgraded suite.

Having been a guest at this hotel prior, accommodations were as expected. The room was clean, well appointed, the beds and pillows were comfortable and relaxing. We did not notice any external noises even through we were near a stair. Any noise from an adjoining room was not noticed by us.

Breakfast was very good, and the staff was efficient. I expect they want to move as many skiers through as quickly as possible. If you go w/ the meal plan, you should know that extras, such as bacon, sausage, etc; which are not part of the selected menu item are charged for. No big deal.

While we did not use the pool or spa facilities, we saw a great deal of activity in the pool house and hot tub area. Will definintely check it out on the next stay.

Checkout was easy. Staff was very accommodating and helpful and we would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

We love the Golden Eagle in winter when other places are piled with pushy guests and impatient staff.
This is not a fancy stop. It is, however super clean, perfectly located on the Mountain Road, comfortable and the staff is fantastic. The homey, relaxing vibe reminds of me of another era when service and sincerity were as important as thread count.
Winter rates in the real wood burning fireplace suites allow families to enjoy a ski vacation without breaking the bank.
The recreation center provides a lap pool, game room, hot tub and massage to occupy you when you are off the slopes.
Simple and warm, we always leave looking forward to returning. In fact, we typically extend our stay.

• Stayed: January 2013