“I have been visiting each year for almost 30 years!”

Golden Eagle Resort
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed September 29, 2011

My grandfather started staying at the Golden Eagle in the 60s. My parents started to take my brother and I there every summer from the time I was 1 years old. I know go every year with my parents, husband, and two children! My brother also joins us for a few days. This is the most relaxing place! The staff is super friendly! They are like one big family. The former owner - still is on the property everyday! He is a pleasure to speak with. The pools are the best! This year my little guy fished in the pond with his dad! Not only can you just relax on the property all day- the location is perfect- you can walk across the street to the bike path (there is also a bike shop right across the street where you can rent bikes/helmets), the movies, to downtown... you are short drive from the Alpine Slide, the Cold Hollow Cider Mill, Ben & Jerry's....even taking a 30 minute ride -you will be in Burlington -you can take a boat ride on Lake Champlain. There is just so much to do or if you don't want to do anything you can sit back and relax and breath in the mountain air. Yeah the motel may be showing its age- but why do people care about the decor of the rooms- you want a clean/comfortable room, friendly staff, and excellent breakfast....and that is what you get at the Golden Eagle (they make you feel like part of their family) all for a great price!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,134)

Reviewed September 19, 2011

We visit the Golden Eagle every summer and would not miss it for the world! The setting is perfect, by acres of forest with groomed trails ideal for walking or painting if you happen to love art. The shops and restaurants of Stowe are a short stroll away. Stowe's famous Recreation Path is right across the highway. The Golden Eagle itself is an upscale motel, with lots of lodging choices ranging from simple rooms to two-storey condo-style living, ideal for families or groups. Staff are personable and accommodating; they are one of the reasons we return every year. Another is the Golden Eagle's old-fashioned, almost vintage style although at some point, refurbishment needs to be considered. No one is pretentious; everyone you meet is down-to-earth. Grounds are well kept; rooms are impeccably clean. The Colonial Café offers breakfast on-site. Given a choice between Topnotch and the Golden Eagle, I'd say if you want a relaxed, real Vermont experience, the Golden Eagle is the place to be!

Room Tip: Every room has its own unique advantage; there are no bad rooms.
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised and satisfied. The Golden Eagle is an older style property with multiple buildings. I find this atmosphere with spacious grounds and room-side parking much more appealing than the cookie-cutter flagged hotels . The rooms here were high-quality and in excellent condition. I was especially impressed with the modern, clean, well-maintained bathroom.

We had a delicious breakfast at the cafe each morning. While eating, we admired the beautiful mountain view, the beautiful flowers outside, and the visiting hummingbird just outside the restaurant window.

I also enjoyed the iced-tea and cookies offered every afternoon. I am not a coffee drinker and appreciated the option of having iced-tea.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Stayed for a couple of nights in Aug 2011. We're a family with kids aged 3 and 5, we enjoyed our stay.
Nice resort, great location, offers plenty of options for lodging, warm welcome from the staff.
It does start to show its age, nothing dramatic.
Would go back.

Reviewed September 8, 2011

We had a Bat Mitzvah to go to Sept. 1 in Waitsfield, VT, so we decided to stay in Stowe (40 minutes away) at the Golden Eagle because we 1) have a little one and the B&B route isn't kid friendly, 2) wanted something that was more relaxing. Was I glad we did! Hurricane Irene destroyed VT, and most of the Northeast. We were without power in our home, so our cat sitter couldn't come by. I called the Golden Eagle that Monday to check to see if they had power and could accomodate us with a pet friendly room. We were in luck! For a $25 non refundable fee and $25 per night we had accomodations for us and our cat. We left our home Tuesday night around 6 pm and didn't arrive at the hotel until 12:00 am. The front desk was closed, but they left our room keys and instructions on the door. The hotel is an older one, but with tons of charm. The room was decent sized and clean. The bathroom was a decent size with hot water. What more can weary travelers ask for? The pet friendly rooms have a patio which we didn't utilize at all, which was a pity. What we did do on the first day was order breakfast from the restaurant to go, since we had to be in Waitsfield at 10 am. It was delicious. So good, that we went there to eat the next and final day. We weren't able to use the pools or the spa, but my daughter loved the park and the pirate ship! We will be back - and this time we'll stay a week! They were so accomodating and everyone was super nice!

Reviewed September 1, 2011

Vermont was beautiful and Stowe was breathtaking. I wish I had spent more time enjoying it instdead of working, but it was still pretty.

The Resort is nice and clean. It could use some serious updating though, the rooms are a bit dated decor wise. My colleagues got HUGE rooms with giant spa tubs and fireplaces. Although the big spa tub had mirrors all around it, which was kinda 70's kitsch. The kitchen in one room was huge, but the appliances had seen better days.

My room had two double beds, which were really comfortable. It was neat as a pin. It had a little private porch out back and a shared one out front.

The map they give you at check in is sort of useless, especially in the dark, because it is not easy to find your way around. The resort seems to have been expanded over the years, which is why some rooms and amenities feel newer than others.

The conference facilities were really nice, although the some of the chairs were a bit worn out. They had an indoor and outdoor pool. The game room was fun. There is a little cafe there, which has really good breakfast and the lunches were good. I was especially impressed that we could order from a menu for breakfast, whereas lunch was a buffet.

The desk clerk was a bit grumpy with us because we were late getting in and she was about to get off work. I am not sure that she cared about our flights being delayed. We asked what would have happened if we had been a few minutes later, she said well no one could have checked you end...she did not seem too friendly, maybe she was tired. Other people we encountered were really nice.

I could see that this place had seen better days, but with some updating it could be really nice. Would probably not stay here again if I visited Stowe again, but totally understand why we had a conference there.

Stowe has some amazing little inns I would love to check out though. If you are on pleasure travel you could do better.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank SnorkelSpotSeeker
Reviewed August 26, 2011

Stayed at the Golden Eagle with a large work group. The room was dated and tired-looking, and the shower/toilet area was small and cramped. The air unit's filter was FILTHY and clearly had not been cleaned in a very, very long time. The Golden Eagle desperately needs to change the wallpaper in their conference room - it is terrible and distracting. That said, the front desk and cafe staff were very nice, and the food was good. Aside from the air filter, the room was reasonably clean. But if I make a reservation for myself somewhere in Stowe, it won't be at the Golden Eagle. Not a bad stay, but they could put some effort into making it better.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business