“Great family camp in beautiful Vermont”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Starksboro
Common Ground Center
Reviewed August 30, 2010

This is a beautiful setting with incredibly delicious food. The structure -- where kids are busy in the mornings, then with their families in the afternoon -- is great (not that I saw my teens much) and the staff is abundant and helpful. We had a great time!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed August 22, 2010

The three weeks my family spent at Camp Common Ground was filled with music, arts, nature exploration, and community gatherings. We enjoyed the mix of having scheduled activities, like Glass Mosaic workshops, with the leisure to just swim in the picturesque pond or lie in the hammock. Highlights of camp included playing chamber music (for the very first time), eating incredibly delicious freshly prepared meals, and listening to the creek. The grounds are well-kept and the scenery is exquisitely beautiful. The brand new kitchen staff happily accommodates specific dietary restrictions while preparing meals for all of the campers. Think of this place as an all-inclusive vacation.
Downsides? Tents and cabins don't have their own plumbing or electricity (obviously) but a new lodge is being built.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2008

This was our first time at CCG with kids. We have camped many times and have gone to summer camp so our expectations were reasonable. The camp is beautiful and it is clear the owners care a lot about the camp and program. That said- it was not a good match for our family. In my opinion this camp is best suited for very laid back, communal, nature based families, specifically in terms of lifestyle and mind set. And although we eat organic food and consider ourselves eco aware, the feeling of the camp for us was overwhelmingly "hippie" for lack of better word. The bathrooms got dirtier as the week went on, the food was great, but the lettuce was sandy often, kids were left unsupervised by parents to the point of irritation. Quite hours were not respected, program offerings kept changing, teachers did not show, lack of afternoon offerings etc.

Many of the people there also work there. So there is this mix of staff participating in the workshops then leaving 1/2 way through to go clean the kitchen etc... I was never quite clear on who was working there or who was a camper- it seems people try to find a way to stay longer than they can afford, so they barter.

The kitchen is a screened in building and the sitting area is on the front porch right against the kitchens screened wall. I had to move off the porch several times due to the intensive arguing and processing of the kitchen staff coming through the screen.

I did participate in a few sessions that were good and enjoyable. the music teachers are talented and helpful.

While my family will not be returning, it was clear that many people loved it there and had a great week.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank otrgirl
Reviewed August 21, 2006

Our family just returned from a week at Camp Common Ground in Starksboro, Vermont. We have children aged 7 and 11. All four of us gave CCG "Two Thumbs Up!" Camp Common Ground is a Camp for the entire family with meals and programs for everyone.

The menu is vegetarian and I initially thought this might be a problem for my sometimes picky eaters, but the food was really good and at every meal my family always found something they liked (pizza, cheesy pasta, french toast, fresh bread, muffins). I, on the other hand, had the opportunity to try a variety of vegetarian dishes that I never get to have (tempeh, tofu etc..). My picky husband even gained weight!

Our family chose to stay in one of the many unique cabins on the property, but many families camped in tents. During our stay, there were people from an international organization called "Volunteers for Peace" who were building "tent platforms" that I imagine will benefit future tent campers. CCG also has a very comfortable and modern bathhouse with nice hot showers.

Having never been to a "Family Camp" before I didn't know what to expect. If you are considering the "family camp" experience, I would recommend a visit to the CCG website at [--] . It gives a very good overview of the types of programming available for both children and adults. There are also many pictures of accomodations and the property. During the week we were there, some of the activities we were able to try included..painted floor cloths, circus arts, wheel thrown pottery, origami, photography, swimming, basketry,...and there were others.

Our younger children really enjoyed themselves, but I noticed other families with older children, teenagers, and it seemed to me that it was a great opportunity for those families to connect as well.

This vacation was an experience my family will not soon forget. There was more to this place than its' physical attributes. The staff, volunteers and the other campers (from all walks of life) created an atmosphere of cooperation and inclusion that made us all feel like family. We will definitely return next year.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank travelingwithkids

Been to Common Ground Center? Share your experiences!