“Celebration Dinner”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Peru, VT
“Celebration Dinner”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My family dined at Black Rock to celebrate a special occasion. The food was good- we had the filet mignon, which we cooked ourselves on 750 degree pieces of rock,, my son had burger and fries, my other son had spaghetti with meatballs and my daughter had the fried haddock with chips. The food was good- I think their ribeye steak cooked on the rock I had last time was better than the filet, though. It was also pretty reasonably priced. The atmosphere is ok, salad bar is ok, service is ok- nothing special. All in all, it is worth a visit, especially if you like good steak.

Claremont, New Hampshire
“Would not go out of my way”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Went here with some friends. The food was just OK. I thought it was a bit pricey for what it was. Had a reservation but the teenaged girl at the desk couldn't find it because they put some nonsensical name associated with it. She had to go find the manager to come and look at the scratch pad where they write down reservations.

There is no place to sit inside and wait for your table. You have to go outside and wait or go to the bar. My 6PM reservation turned into almost 6:30 before we were seated. Another 30 minutes of waiting to order because our waitress had another table with a party of a dozen people and no help with their orders. Finally, at around 7:30 the food comes out and it wasn't really anything special. I ordered the mixed grill. The steak was so-so, the chicken was a little dry and I didn't even try the pork. Four steak fries were also included on my plate. I will say that the salad bar wasn't too bad and included with all entrees. Fortunately, I was able to navigate over to the salad bar and fill myself up. Otherwise, the 90 minutes I waited to get my food, (from door to table) I would have starved. The waitress was awesome. She was very nice and I don't hold the time delays against her.

One final note about the ambiance in this place. It was very, very noisy inside this place. It is a small place and they have crammed too many tables into it. Thus the reason for my comment on having to "navigate" to the salad bar. You almost have to make a path for yourself through a maze of tables and chairs. I'd go back if someone invited me but otherwise, I would not take the 1/2 hour trip over to this place. I'd rather just go to a chain restaurant for a steak. I guess people like it for the gimmick of having your food served on a heated stone and watching it cook in front of you. However, if I'm going to wait that long for my food, I would like it to already be prepared once it shows up at the table.

1 Thank Dave L
“Great food and great prices!”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We were in Springfield area and this was really the only place open on a Sunday. We has no expectations.
The menu is big with lots of options. Two of us opted for the 14 oz ribeye that came on the hot stone. It was perfectly seasoned and fun to cook it ourselves at the table. The steak was hot from the first bite to the last and cooked just the way we liked it. It came with a starch side and Caesar salad or salad bar. We did the salad bar and it was great. All the options were fresh. Don't skip the ambrosia salad. It's jusy like grandma used to make. The ribeye meal was $20.00. Well worth it.
Another member of our party got the lighter fair fish and chips. It was 3 large pieces of haddock and great fries. That was only $10.00.
The only negative was the waiting to be seated process. People were seated out of order of arrival which caused some tension in the waiting area. We also had to wait a bit to place our order but the place was packed so it was understandable.
We will be going back for sure!

Burlington, Vermont, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Go to place when having company”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I've enjoyed this location with family and friends and business associates over 30+ times. Great value,one of the best salad bars I've ever enjoyed. And the wait staff is excellent and courteous. I throughly enjoy this place and go whenever I can entertain when in Vermont with clients or family. Worth the wait and drive when in Southern VT.

• Visited August 2013
Ludlow, Vermont
“Lobster meal”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was my favorite restaurant in the area til the last time we went. It was a celebration for my birthday and my mom and I were really excited to have lobster and had had it here before. The salad bar was wonderful as usual but when we got our lobsters we were disgusted!. There was black goo all through the lobster. We eat lobster often and have never encountered this before. The waitress said that it was eggs(not) and that it was a female and they often came like this. She proceeded to make us feel stupid though we did not want to eat this.It looked like a blood clot. She did give my mom anotheremeal but charged us full price and even mentioned as she gave us the check that we should always ask for a male. What happened to making the customer feel good? I love this restaurant but am wary now.

• Visited July 2013