“Hot Stone Grilling”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Hartford, Connecticut
“Hot Stone Grilling”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Diners can choose to grill their steak on a hot stone at their table, or have the steak cooked to order. Large selection of steak and seafood entrees with generous portions. Excellent salad bar. Moderately priced.

• Visited October 2012

Springfield, Vermont
“Salty?”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and I recently ate here and the salad bar was very good. We really enjoyed the hot rock concept. However, I had the Argentinian Steak and it was extremely salty. If they backed off the agressive salt in the marinade/rub, it would be a five star rating from us.

• Visited September 2012
Springfield, Vermont
“Not Very Happy”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Loved the idea of a place to get a good steak here in town. First couple of times it was very good.
Tried the rock thing and it was amusing but too much fussing about, and not very tasty. Personal choice I guess, when I go out for steak I want it cooked by someone else and not by me on a rock....just a gimmick.
Next we showed up on a weekend night and there was a bit of a wait, they said 15 minutes and gave us a beeper. Fine, we went and sat in our car and watched 3 couples that came AFTER us get seated before I approached the desk and said "What gives?".....oh pardon us our mistake, now 40 minutes after we started this cluster*&^%. OK so we sit down and order, Me, I order a medium rare ribeye, as does my son. A while later we are served two pieces of meat that look like big thick NY strip steaks.....nothing like a ribeye. My son takes two bites and says "wow this is the most tasteless steak I have ever had." I start on my steak and sure enough Tasteless and Boring....so I call the waitress over and tell her we ordered ribeye steaks and she goes into the kitchen then comes back and tells us the chef says these are indeed rib eyes, but cut from the end so they look different. What ever happened to the customer is always right? I think I know what a rib eye looks and tastes like, having eaten hundreds of them over many years.
Well we were barely able to finish these so called rib eye steaks... and left in disgust....never to return.
Oh the salad bar is kinda nice though. If you insist on going here do so at your own risk.....perhaps you'll catch them on a "good" night. Me? I've found several other alternatives, where I get what I want and how I want it.

• Visited October 2011
3 Thank Consumer9
Vermont
“Consistently good all-American fare”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

W have never been disappointed with the food here. The menu is solid American fare with a signature item involving grilling your steak on a hot stone to your desired doneness. Have not tried this, but have liked the baked stuffed shrimp, baked lobster, prime rib, and salmon. The maple salmon tasted wonderful, but instead of a glaze, the fish was drenched in syrup. The salad bar is fresh with ample variety. Huge wheel of sharp cheddar too. Tnight of quiet conversation. he service is vey good.

• Visited June 2012
New England
“Not as good as I had heard”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We went to Black Rock after it had been open for some time, as we wanted to wait for the ado of a new restaurant to die down. We were not impressed. The utensils were dirty. My drink glass had lipstick on it. My medium/rare burger was a hard black rock (I don't think that is what the name intended). My husband reported that his steak was delicious but the sides and salad bar were not. If our server called me "Honey" one more time I was going to lose it. One of the worst meals I have had in a long time. Dress up the place. Find a way to dampen the noise level. Get servers with some professional skills. I know that Springfield needs some decent restaurants but we shouldn't have to settle for this. .

• Visited May 2012