“Very pleasantly surprised”

Hartness House
Ranked #1 of 2 Springfield B&B and Inns
“Very pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I are we're just married at The Hartness House on July 4th. We are from out of state and decided to have a small wedding up in Vermont. We found the Hartness House after searching online and booked their elope plus package for our wedding without having seen it in person. We travelled up to Vermont about six weeks before our wedding to get our marriage license. Since we were in the area we decided to stop by The Hartness House to look around and discuss details for our ceremony and reception. When we stopped in it seemed like they didn't want us there; whether we caught them by surprise or what, I don't know. I nearly had a break-down. My husband (fiancée at the time) and I went to lunch and talked about it. I was on the verge of rescheduling the wedding or finding another venue, but after talking it over, we decided to stick with them.

When we arrived at The Hartness House for our wedding we were greeted enthusiastically and enjoyed a delicous platter of cheese, fruit, chocolate and wine. We stayed in the James Hartness Suite in the main house. The room was clean and decorated elegantly. We enjoyed a night in the spa later that evening and were blown away. The spa was absolutely amazing. The Inn is Victorian, so I wasn't expecting the spa to be as new or nice as it was. Again, it was amazing. There is a jacuzzi, massage table, tanning bed, hot sauna, steam room, and massage chair. We had the spa to ourselves and enjoyed champagne in the candle light.

The breakfast in bed was amazing. Everything was hot, fresh, and delicous. The Inn-keeper was phenomenal, always there if I had any questions or concerns. She was in touch with me before the ceremony and took care of all the details and specifics I requested.

I would absolutely recommend The Hartness House for your wedding, large or small, or for a relaxing vacation.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Redding, California
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Our son was married March 25 and we found the service wonderful, the food fantastic, service great and the tour of the Underground Museum very interesting. Very cute little town. They were very gracious to our guests and the pictures taken for the wedding were very lovely. Thanks for the experience!

Roberta K

Room Tip: We stayed in Eileen's Room which was very comfortable.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Unfortunately, the innkeeper was very disorganized and this made the whole experience at the inn disappointing. Our room was beautiful, which was in the main house, but the other folks who were with us were in the back rooms which were filthy. It smelled like urine, the rooms were actually dirty, and everything was outdated and stained. The inn itself was lovely, but we were promised the grounds would be well kept, and they were not even mowed! We had no a/c in our room and it seemed like we were bothering the staff when we asked for anything. All in all, I would have gone anywhere else if I could have forseen the conditions.

Room Tip: If you do stay here make sure to stay in the main house! The main house is all antiquey, b&b lo...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank nicolio8699
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We highly recommend the Hartness House Deluxe Elopment Package. The Hartness House staff made it stress free event. The only thing we had to do was to stop a few blocks away for our marriage license. The staff catered to our every need. It was a perfect weekend from the breakfast in bed to the private spa session. If you are looking for a small wedding venue in a historic mansion this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Any room in the Main House would be a good choice. The James Hartness suite is an excellent choice...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joey K
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed May 4, 2012

the hartness house was a romatic experience, it was very welcoming and homey. the scenery was like staying in a royal mansion, very antiquey. it was like being in another world. my wife and i wanted a private traditional wedding. the staff cattered to us as if we were a queen and queen. the photographer capture beautiful pictures.the chef was excellent. we stood in the james hartness suite. the hartness house made our dream wedding come true. they took care of all the wedding arrangements. STRESS FREE .if i had a choice to do it all again i would not change anything. i would reccomend anyone who is looking for their dream wedding to come true... hartness house will make it happen

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed May 2, 2012

This review is a little late as my son was married here on 7/3/11. I have to say that early planning communications with the inn were sketchy and worrisome. They seem to have a pretty laid back and in-no-hurry attitude. To be honest, when we arrived, we were all pleasantly surprised. The rooms are old and dated but completely clean and comfortable. The wedding party completely took over the inn that weekend and everyone was OK with their rooms. After all the worry, the wedding itself and dinner party were perfect. The food was actually exceptional, and they catered to several of us in our family with Celiac (gluten intolerance). The wait/bar staff were fun gals and at the end of our designated time in the hall we were allowed to continue our party on the outside deck til the wee hours. I highly recommend this inn for a small wedding!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2012 via mobile

I don't understand these glowing reviews..is there a different Hartness House somewhere? All I know is the Hartness House we stayed at was so decrepit and disgusting, we couldn't even stay there.
We booked two rooms, one for myself and my husband and one for another couple for the New years eve celebration. The main house was booked, so we had rooms in the wing in back. We were greeted by the most disgusting smell in the corridor, like a combination of cat urine and mold. There was a curtain hanging in an odd place in the corner so I looked behind it and discovered that it was covering a big hole in the ceiling , obviously caused by water damage because it was ringed with mold. Our rooms were no better. The wall paper was ripped off in places, the bedspread was faded and old, the carpet was dirty and stained. The fixtures in the bathroom were so old and rusty that I'm sure that the place has never been renovated. On top of all this, the place was freezing cold. This was what we were getting for over $600 for 2 nights?? We all decided that this was unacceptable so we asked the woman at the desk if there was a better room. She then showed us another room in another back wing that was no better...just a bit bigger. By this time I was dizzy from the moldy smell and freezing. We then asked for our money back and were eventually credited with the full amount. Fortunately for us our friends didn't live that far away so we had a place to go, but were so disappointed that our holiday weekend was ruined . This place should be closed and completely renovated!

Stayed December 2011
4 Thank Diane D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Springfield
Holiday Inn Express Springfield
#1 of 9 in Chester
The Common Man Inn
The Common Man Inn
#1 of 1 in Claremont

Been to Hartness House? Share your experiences!