“Good food, good service, great stop”

56 Main Street Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Springfield
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 25, 2014

We like to stop in Springfield on our way to Maine because the Holiday Inn there welcomes our dog. Last year we tried 56 Main Street for dinner and again this year. Not disappointed. Their menu is varied, and they offer interesting specials. The salads and veggie side taste like they were lulled from the garden to your plate. Very fresh. A nice happy hour helps too.

Reviewed July 20, 2014

This restaurant is what you hope to find in a small town: good food, pleasant atmosphere, decent service. It is all the of these.

We went for an early dinner and had a nice relaxing meal. The menu has plenty of choices so if you were staying nearby, it would not be surprising to eat here more than once.

The staff was very friendly and took time to talk and make you feel at home.

One comment that I feel is necessary. The price of our meal was on the high side of what I expected. While it was fair, observing several tables around us, there seems to be both discount cards or coupons/special offers for frequent patrons that are not available to the first time patron. If you find this is a restaurant you will be frequenting, I would ask about how to obtain these offers. I probably should have inquired and will next time I visit.

Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

A number of business associates met for lunch on a very nice summer Friday, and found an almost full restaurant of local groups, ranging from a very obvious birthday celebration to a gathering of mature women (as I'm in the same age bracket, we won't use any other descriptive). This is a monthly event for my associates, and 56 Main is included in the rotation regularly as it's always enjoyable. I have been happily working my way through the menu since it opened.

Today was no exception, except for a few bumps.

The soup special was a lobster bisque. Good, flavorful, and a nice starter.

I had the House fish and chips specialty, which others had ordered on prior visits and always was one I looked at and wished I had ordered. Today's came out as a large portion of battered haddock - unfortunately, unlike other orders in view, it came out darker than it should have been. While the fish was acceptable, the batter was overcooked to point it was like cracking a cask. The sides were much better: french fries which were done perfectly (I guess different people operating the fryers), tasty fresh cole slaw, and a house - made caper mayo which complemented the fish well (and would have gone better with a lighter coating). I blame the hiccup on the volume of business.

Of those closest to me, one associate had a lunch special: a very fresh fruit plate with melon, fresh cut pineapple, grapes, and other seasonal fruit, served with a scoop of chicken salad. Another had a second special, a "Tuscan Burger" served open face on flat bread with sautéed veggies and crumbled cheese, accompanied by fries, slaw, and a different house - made mayo. A third is a fairly strict vegetarian, and the staff cheerfully accommodated her standards. All said they enjoyed their meals, as did the rest of the group. As this is a management group, none are shy about voicing their dissatisfaction, so 'good' is an accurate description.

Service, as always, was attentive but not intrusive - just right.

This restaurant is on the higher end of lunch locations in Springfield, and prices reflect it comparably. However, the meals are well prepared, inventive, decidely different from the other locations in Town, and tasty.

I look forward to our return, when I'll once again try another new dish.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

This place had been recommended to us by a couple of friends so we went here for lunch the day we arrived in Vermont. It's a nice place, very clean and the food was good. We had to wait awhile for our food though. The restaurant wasn't busy, a few people had come in after we did. We noticed that one of those couple were getting served before us, we only ordered hamburgers so weren't sure why the wait. Then we noticed that the other couple was telling the waitress this wasn't their order, and we also noticed it looked a lot like ours. We watched as the waitress took those meals back to the kitchen and within a minute or so came out with our meals, it didn't take a genius to see that those were the same meals incorrectly offered to the other couple, who had touched both of the burgers. We ate them, not sure we should have, and they were good, but don't think we'd go there again. We didn't say anything because we thought at that point they wouldn't have admitted to the mistake. I hate wasting food but as a restaurant that shouldn't have happened.

Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

The food is excellent, the wait staff is very attentive without being intrusive, and the decor is very eclectic. Very fitting for such a cute town!