“Frozen foods”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were passing through the area and needed some food. There are not a lot of options around. I read the reviews and thought this would be a good place to stop. However, we found that it was quite average at best.
Our server was not especially friendly. We really felt she was just going through the motions and just doing her job because she had to. She spent much of the time chatting with two customers that she seemed to know pretty well and definitely gave them preferential treatment.
I ordered the turkey burger, seeing as how we were driving a long way and I didn't want to eat anything too heavy. The turkey burger was obviously just a pre-made frozen patty. I ordered the cole slaw on the side, and thought that was pretty bad. I would look for a different place to eat if I was in the area again.

Jerry S, Owner at 56 Main Street Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

I'm sorry to see that you were not happy with your food or service, or the atmosphere, or value as indicated by your rating. This is not the norm for us. We do make our Turkey Burgers, which sell quite well. And, we do make our own cole slaw. I'm sorry they were not to your liking.

My staff caters to all customers. Preferential treatment is given to all. Perhaps the customer engaged the server and they could not politely get away. This can happen as many of our customers are local and friendly, or travelers that are curious about the area. I'm sorry if you felt slighted. That would never be our intention.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Our regular group of business associates met for their monthly meeting at 56 Main Street in downtown Springfield and, like every visit there, it was a treat!

First, I have to note that this is one of the few restaurants we rotate our luncheons through which does not have any problems with separate checks for a group of 10 to 12 professionals, most of whom have employers which insist on documentation for business lunches. The staff also has no problems dealing with unexpected changes when the attendees go from 10 reservations to 14 who actually show up, even if the restaurant is busy [this has thrown other establishments which weren't exactly full]. I have never seen a variance in the level of service between the times I have been there with 1 companion, as compared to a group of 15, a strong point in the restaurant's favor.

The restaurant has a good selection of salads, sandwiches, and even what would qualify as full sized dinners on their luncheon menu, as well as a changing selection of soups and sandwiches on their specials board. Each of the 14 in this group was very pleased with both the quality and quantity of their individual choices during this visit. My personal selection was a regular menu item "Half and Half," which is half an over-stuffed sandwich combined with a cup of one of the daily soups [this happened to be a very good cup of lobster bisque combined with a fruited chicken salad half-sandwich which had enough chicken for a whole sandwich, plus]. One of their regular items is fish and chips, with very fresh white fish in a light batter, served in a portion normally seen on dinner menus. One of this day's specials was a whole-belly clam plate, which the person enjoyed so much that he ordered a second to take home.

The meal salads have always been fresh, and the variety of sandwiches, including burgers, are well prepared and include imaginative combinations.

The desserts have always tempted; unfortunately, I've always ended up too filled by the meals to try one.

56 Main Street is also open for dinner and, if the luncheons are indicative, would be a good choice. I have seen postings out front where they offer 2-for-1 specials and reduced prices for the normally 'slow' nights of the work week as well.

I would recommend a visit for anyone visiting the Springfield area, and I look forward to our next turn there.

Thank you for your review. Large groups and separate checks don't upset us. We've been in this business for more than 35 years...the hospitality business. Gratefully, our staff understands, and has the patience and training to accommodate large groups that need to pay separately. It's all part of the job. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return. Robin S./Owner

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had a party of seven and we were seated and our waitress took a drink order right away. We had some starters that were very good. the artichoke spinach dip was delish! Some of us had fried clams and were extremely happy with them. They were cooked perfect and the fries were great. The portions were huge! Someone else had scallops and another had tuna among other things. All were full and happy with their entree choices. Overall a nice night out.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I went to this restaurant last week and had a wonderful meal! The roast chicken was done perfectly, crispy outside, juicy and tender inside with great flavor. We have already made plans to return. They have great specials and good prices on certain days.

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Returning from the Vermont Country Store and really wondering If we'd find a place for lunch. We got there about 10 minutes before lunch service stopped and weren't disappointed. The soup and sandwich is a great choice. I had the Italian Wedding Bell Soup and although our waitress said it wasn't "homemade" it was terrific. Di had a Caeser Salad that had crisp greens and a nice dressing. The draft Guiness hit the spot and he noted one of the servers from the Inn at Weathersfield was enjoying lunch at one of the side walk tables. Certainly a great stop for lunch!