“The lower the price, the more you will like this hotel.”

Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in South Burlington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 8, 2006

If you pay a low price for this hotel, it will be a great deal. If you pay more than $100, you may not be as thrilled.

My biggest beef about this place was the breakfast. There are only six tables for a huge hotel, and the breakfast has no hot foods. Here is all you get: coffee, tea, muffins, coffee cake, English muffins, PBJ, juice, and cheerios or raisin bran. That's it. No breads, not more than two kinds of cereal, etc. It was ridiculous. It was crowded and not well-stocked.

The floors are wooden and the hallways are a little loud. The pool was nice and warm but very small. There are actually two, indoor and outdoor, but the indoor one was kept cooler, about 82, while the outdoor one was about 85.

The Windjammer Restaurant was OK but the secret is to eat upstairs in the pub -- same menu but lower prices!

The cookies at 8pm were hot and delicious. The lobby is small, with only two couches and two chairs. The tea/coffee service is 24 hours but not well kept up. The staff was friendly and helpful if not completely knowledgeable.

The smoking rooms are much cheaper-- they couldn't give them away! They were $40 cheaper than my room. The rooms were clean and the beds a little older but not too bad. There are in-room games and movies. There was a table with a chair, and a dresser. The bathroom had a hairdryer. The tub was quite clean. The sink vanity is a little high for little kids. The closet door was mirrored.

Ask for a room with a pool view, as the hotel is U-shaped around the pool. The outer rim is the parking lot. Also, I wouldn't recommend the first floor, it is right off the lobby and next to the clothes washing machines, and must have been awfully loud.

The location is convenient to Shelburne, Burlington, and Grand Isle (about 20 min. to the Isle but 5 min. to the other places) and about 35 min. to Stowe. The hotel is on a main drag with McDonalds, a mall, a grocery store, and a gas station very close by.

Overall, not a bad stay but not my favorite.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank I_love_baking
Write a ReviewReviews (1,467)

Reviewed July 11, 2006

I stayed here on June 29 for 1 night. I had stayed here previously in 2004 and had a good stay. My room was fine - room and bathroom were clean, bed - I found it comfortable - had a good sleep. Used the pool - well kept. The only problem I encountered were the hallways - very hot and stuffy. Nice touch are the milk and cookies at 8:00 p.m. Breakfast - average - cereal, apples, toast, bagels, juice, coffee. But hey - it's included, so can't complain. I liked the grounds - very nice setting with lots of trees and grassy areas. I'll be back - good location.

• Stayed: June 2006
4  Thank PatriciaWB
Reviewed July 3, 2006

We booked into the Best Western hotel in South Burlington, Vermont for 4 nights because it is a Best Western. We have had good experiences in Best Westerns before.
The room was small and the beds are very uncomfortable, and mine gave me a sore back. The building seems to be older and of all wood construction, because we could hear every move the people above us and people in the hallway made. That and the permanently running exhaust fans and A/C on the hotel restaurant broke up our sleep.
The toilet had a leak, which was repaired after we called it in, but water still appeared on the floor. There also was water dripping down inside the window, probably from the A/C unit upstairs. This was not fixed while we were there, and we used the extra towels to soak it up. On a positive note, the free wireless internet service worked very well.
We left a day early and went to a very nice Hampton Inn for a rate only slightly higher than the Best Western.

2  Thank Capndick
KWisehart, General Manager at Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

I'm so sorry you had a bad experienc at our hotel. I wanted to respond to let you know that we have made a lot of change to our hotel since 2006. We have undergone an entire renovation, all new HVAC systems, new flooring, wall coverings, beds and bedding. We have a fantastic housekeeping staff and Front Ofice staff with a very high rating on our cleanliness and guest services. I do hope you will consider looking at our property again in the future. I think you will be pleasantly surprised of all of the changes we have made.

Reviewed April 27, 2005

My family (including my 6 and 7 year old kids) decided to go away for the Columbus Day weekend last fall. We live three hours away so it was our chance to get away and let the kids swim. It didn't even occur to us that we would be staying there during the "Fall Foliage" time. The place was packed. They had at least two tour buses so each room was probably at full capacity. That does not make it pleasant when you are trying to get the continental breakfast in a very small room. There were never any tables available and it was elbow to elbow trying to get food. The first night we arrived we went straight to the pool. After being there for 30 minutes imagine my suprise when a woman came to me and said we might want to leave since there would be 20 or so Girl Scouts coming to use the pool. I told her politely that no, we'd stay since since we drove 3 hours for the sole purpose of using this pool. The hot tub did not look healthy and the last day we were there it was shut down. We were very disappointed with the Windjammer restaurant. Both my husbands and my potatoes were so cold that butter wouldn't melt on it. His pork was also cold. Then I tasted my scallops. They were so fishy and unpleasant tasting I couldn't believe they were real scallops. The waiter assured me they were but I asked for a comment card on the way out. The hostess asked me why I was taking one and she said she didn't want me to leave unhappy so they gave us a voucher for food at the lounge. We should have eaten there (but didn't b/c we have kids) b/c the food we ordered the next night and took to our room was excellent. The last part of the trip that annoyed me was the fact that they charged me for the fridge in our room. I was not told there would be a charge when I checked in. I have never stayed in a room that charged me for a mini fridge. They did take it off my bill. Overall the rooms were decent and clean but overpriced because of the weekend. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2004
8  Thank Suzykaboozie
Reviewed March 29, 2005

The Windjammer is the perfect place to stay when visiting the Burlington area, especially when attending concerts at the Higher Ground club (a short 5 minute walk down the road). Nice room, very clean, and a good price ($70/night). Ate at the restaurant there too....outstanding king crab legs, burgers, and beer selection. Will stay here everytime I head to Burlington.

8  Thank tmarti2001
Reviewed May 5, 2004

My wife and I have been staying here a couple times each year for the past 10 years. We've never been disappointed - rooms are always very clean and well appointed. The Windjammer Restaurant which is attached has also been consistently good.

5  Thank stevecaron
A TripAdvisor Member
Somewhere in New England
Reviewed February 29, 2004

If you bring a dog to this "pet-friendly" hotel, they will tell you to bring it with you wherever you go and leave it in the car ... sure, tell me this when it's 90+ degrees outside during July 4th weekend.Why even HAVE a "pets allowed" policy? I will NEVER again go there, and it's unfortunate that they are listed in more than one "pet-friendly" hotel guide.We demanded that the manager call the Comfort Inn Hotel up the street, and they welcomed our pet with open arms.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
Hotel Burlington & Conference Center
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burli...
#7 of 12 in South Burlington
#9 of 12 in South Burlington
Hampton Inn Burlington
Hampton Inn Burlington
#1 of 5 in Colchester

Been to Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center? Share your experiences!