“Don't Bother!”

Koto Japanese Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Koto Japanese Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: On the CCTA bus route
Description: We are Vermont's premier Japanese restaurant, serving our guests for 11 years, since 1999. Come enjoy our Japanese ambiance with a pond full of koi fish and running water --always a hit with kids. We have plenty of free parking and a full bar stocked with fine wines, beers, and a variety of liquor. We look forward to serving you and your family in the near future. We have four options of dining in our establishment. Hibachi, dining room, tatami and sushi bar. Please specify the type of dining experience you'd prefer under special notes. For weekends and holiday please inquire within to confirm your reservation. Thank you.
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Steak okay but server was smarmy and obsequious yet insisted we fill our own take away containers at our table.
Embarrassing! Said it was state law. Yet they have a brisk take away service where the food is packaged up in the kitchen. Go figure!

1  Thank NewJerseyHannah

Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stopped for dinner with the kids while returning to Canada. Was a quiet evening at the restaurant. Chef put on a good show; flames, tossing food into our mouths, joking with the kids. The food was very very tasty. We had the hibachi dinners (steak, shrimp and combo with either noodles or fried rice) and found them delicious. The youngest kid really liked the live koi pond!

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Burlington, VT struggles to offer authentic non-Americanized foreign foods (i.e., cream cheese sushi??), and while Koto's does offer those, they also do a bang-up job with the genuine article. I have found them to be accommodating with customizing a meal, a Bento box, or a roll. I don't think the chef get challenged enough but when they are they step up. I enjoy sitting at the sushi bar, where the chef often offers a little sample of something while you wait. Also, I never walk away hungry. Sure, you might spend $20 on lunch, but man...what a tummy buzz! As a frequent traveler I have checked out sushi restaurants in many states. This one will not disappoint, especially if you know what you like and aren't shy about asking for it. Finally, their creamy ginger dressing is soooo tasty...but ask for it on the side (they tend to be liberal). It's also for sale by the quart (was $7 or $8 last time I bought it). My kids LOVE it! Casual environment, come as you are.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

Great atmosphere, ok service and pretty good food. On weekends reservations should be gotten

Reviewed March 11, 2012

I went recently with three friends. The bill was well over 130.00 and it took only 15 minutes to be seated. I wish the rest of our experience was that good. The sushi was way overpriced!!! Not worth getting again if you ask my opinion. The hibachi cook took well over 2 hours to show up and cook our meal. The meal was mediocre at best, not worth the price for something I could have whipped up at home if you ask me. After explaining to the manager that the time it took to get the food was absurd I was told that it was a "show for entertainment" and that the average time for a meal was 1 hour 20 minutes. After telling her it was well over 2 hours of waiting she began ignoring me and looking around the room (which had 2 tables finishing meals). If this was not degrading enough I was not able to find out who to place a complaint with about her until I made a phone call to the restaurant after I had left when this same manager told me she that she was the only person I could place complaints with outside of Saturdays when her boss is in before rudely interrupting me and making absurd and unprofessional comments before hanging up on me. Frankly I do not recommend this restaurant to anyone who is looking for professional service and food worthy of its price. I hope that the ownership or upper management remedies what I have experienced tonight so that NO ONE EVER HAS TO DEAL WITH AN ASSISTANT MANAGER LIKE THAT at their restaurant in the future. I will never recommend this restaurant to anyone bringing: friends, family, colleagues, clients or anyone of importance while that individual is in charge. Shame on you KOTO for allowing this kind of service! Aside from the wait for food after ordering, the quality of the food, and especially the management, the wait-staff, chefs, and other support staff were excellent. I hope that no one ever has the experience I had in the near future.

2  Thank Frank M