“Pretentious Eatery”
Review of Pauline's

Pauline's
Reserve with OpenTable
Pauline's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Allen Road
Transit: The restaurant is serviced by the local public bus line which stops at the intersection of Allen and Shelburne Roads.
Reviewed August 8, 2012

OK food with at least one arrogant, overbearing waiter. The menu was limited and overly pretentious. It's as if the owners and / or chef want you to know how sophisticated they are. Its not that the food was bad, just that they seem too self important in their approach. Also it is overpriced for what you receive.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Our dinner specials cost $16 each and a glass of excellent house wine (French Grave) was $4. a value that was exceptional. I had a pork schnitzel with a well prepared wine sauce, possibly vermouth based, smooth, delicate, and flavor restrained. Or, you can also get a lemon caper sauce that is tops! We substituted roasted potatoes for mashed. The wait staff is quick to serve and eager to please. All the staff are well trained and throughly organized. Veggies are carefully cooked, each to its proper freshness and individual cooking time, not too al dente nor too soft. A berry short cake dessert big enough for two was $7. Fresh brewed coffee with proper heat and flavor was $2.25 and an outstanding bargain. Values are great but flavors and service trump all at Pauline's. Regular entrees range from $30 for a pepper crusted filet to $15 for a veggie White Bean Spinach Cake. Lots of off street parking, well marked and well lighted. Rooms are spotlessly clean, tastefully decorated and thoughtfully lighted. This was a very enjoyable evening. I hope to return very soon to Pauline's beautiful atmosphere and pleasant experiences.

1  Thank Hanschen
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I am here on business and stuck at the semi-dreadful Holiday Inn Express in South Burlington. On Tuesday night I went with a coworker to Pauline's and it was very good. The food was a little slow but it was very flavorful (although a bit of a wintry menu for August). I had escargot and the veal stew special. My coworker just had the mesclun salad and cheese plate. She said it was all great but the dressing should have been on the side because there was too much. The server was excellent. I decided to go back to tonight solo. I brought my ipad and sat at the bar. I had 3 appetizers rather than an entree. The gazpacho, Thai shrimp, and the beet salad were all excellent. The bartender was very friendly and chatty without being overbearing. I would highly recommend Pauline's if you're in Burlington...I'll be back!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

The wait staff was as good as the fanstic food. There for lunch on Mothers day, with the large # of parties the took it all in stride.

Reviewed July 29, 2012

Have dined here probably a dozen times over the past 10 years. There food is always tasty, delightfully presented, fresh and local ingredients, and served with a professional yet friendly manner. Tonight I had the portobello napoleon for a vegetarian entree and it was yummy. I usually don't care too much for polenta but the chef made it crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, I actually liked it a lot. They serve Tazo Tea, my favorite, and they serve it in a tea pot (as opposed to just a tea bag in a cup...yuch!) Just a wonderful dining experience with great waitstaff. The pre-dinner salad was small enough to leave room for dinner and it was not over dressed. The popovers were crispy on the outside and warm and tender on the inside. I almost asked for another but knew it wouldn't leave room for dinner.

1  Thank tinydancer1221