“definitely worth a stop”

Magic Hat Brewing Company
More attraction details
Owner description: While you're in the Burlington area, come tour our brewery, where ancient alchemy meets modern day science to create the best tasting beer on the planet. FREE brewery tours, growlers, bombers, 12-packs and tchotchkes. The new bar is a sight to behold with 30 taps flowing and a constantly changing line-up of Magic Hat's best beers, including all our year-round offerings, the current seasonal and even some experimental brews! Always on tap...#9, Circus Boy, Single Chair Ale, Electric Peel, Low Key our seasonal offering, our small batch Humdinger Series and a surprise or two! Come watch our our spores dance and play! Summer Hours: (Memorial Day- Columbus Day) Mon- Sat 11- 7, Sun 12- 5 Free Guided Tours: Tues- Wed 3 & 4, Thurs- Fri 2, 3, 4 & 5, Sat 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5, Sun 2 & 3 Winter Hours: (Columbus Day- Memorial Day) Mon-Sat 11- 7, Sun 12- 5 Free Guided Tours: Thurs- Fri 3, 4 & 5, Sat 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5, Sun 2 & 3 Self guided tours are there for the taking anytime during open hours!
Reviewed July 13, 2014

If you're in the area Magic Hat Brewery is definitely worth an hour of your time. That's all you need though an hour, it's a free guided or self-guided tour, and then you get to sample 4 of their beers (again it's free), and there's the obligatory gift shop.

I'd presumed that it would also be a beer hall, i.e. you can stop for an hour or 2 and have a couple of pints of beer. It isn't; it's the shop, the tour, the tasting bar, the gift shop, and a counter to fill growlers to go. This would/could be so much better if you were able to linger over a couple of glasses of beer.

We took the guided tour which was maybe 20 minutes, 30 tops. You're given a card which is stamped/crossed off each time you choose a beer to sample at the tasting bar, there's maybe 8 or 9 beers in total to try and it would have been nice to try all of them rather than just choose 4, especially as I made a couple of duff choices and didn't really like 2 of the beers I chose. I'd happily pay to take the tour if you got to sample all of the beers.

The 4 beers I tasted were; Elder Betty - a seasonal elderberry weiss - my favourite by a mile, Circus Boy - a hefeweizen - my second favourite, #9 - a not quite pale ale - not bad not the greatest beer I've ever had though, and Dream Machine - an IPL - my least favourite of the 4.

The gift shop is huge and it has all sorts of weird and wacky merchandise, no fitting rooms but the guy on the till said I could just use the ladies room to try on a couple of T's. It's all kinda psychedelic and 60's themed and dimly lit. and it has all sorts of paintings and artwork on the walls. It's nice to just browse the gift shop area with your beer samples, it's basically all set up in one large room - the gift shop with the tasting bar and growler bar along one wall, the tour leaves from one corner of the room and deposits you back in the gift shop at the end.

We enjoyed it, it certainly wasn't the best brewery tour we've taken at all, but it was entertaining and filled an hour or so. We bought a couple of T's and a couple of pint glasses, I'd have also bought some Elder Betty had we not been so near to the end of our holiday and so not much time to drink it before we headed home. I'd go again, just so I can taste 4 more of their beers!

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"for sale"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed July 10, 2014

I found it almost by accident as I was leaving the place I was working at. They have some very neat art in the factory. It is not a large place and they only make a few craft beers. And they make them tasty.

They also have growlers to let you take home a nice fresh beer and you can bring it back for refills!

The people who work here know their craft. If you like beer that is more than fermented water find this place.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

This brewery has a really cool tour and gift shop, 4 free tastes which was really great, the art all around is excellent, bring your camera. The gift shop has alot of cool things too especially if you are a fan of magic hat.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Although the brewery is small, it is still fascinating to learn about the Magic Hat brand, see how it all happens, and have some great samples. It's all FREE which is great. If you're a fan of Magic Hat, the souvenir shoppe is also worthwhile.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 25, 2014

We didn't do the tour, but we did do some samples. We aren't really educated in all of the different aspects of beer, but we do know that we love beer. And we know what good beer tastes like. You get 4 free samples. My favorites were #9 and Dream Machine. All were very tasty though. Great gift shop also. And they let you bring your dog in, which is awesome because sometimes traveling with a dog makes it tough to stop at places like this. The bartenders were very nice and knowledgable about their beers. I wish I got the girls name that we were talking to because she was so nice! Its great to talk with locals while you're in an unfamiliar place. We definitely recommend Magic Hat.