“Smart Suites, a "smart" decision!”

Smart Suites Burlington
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in South Burlington
Reviewed February 6, 2012

I've stayed there twice and love the location! Our suite had a kitchen and a grocery store was right down the street, it was perfect! Sometimes we would travel all day and it was nice to come back to the room for a light dinner or snack. We had a beautiful view from our room. I surprised my husband by planning a trip through the Adirondacks to a family cemetery in Lowville, NY, we went to Ethan Allen's estate, Burlington, Bristol, Ben and Jerry's and Green Mountain Coffee Co.
They were all within striking distance of our hotel. And the best part? Within 10 minutes of the airport! So convenient to return our rental car and make our flight.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer a beautiful view
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank bayougirl_11

Reviewed January 5, 2012

This hotel is nice - the front desk staff were VERY helpful with directions, etc. The room was spotless and a decent size.

It's important to request a room above the first floor if you are sensitive to cigarette smoke. Our room REEKED of smoke - we found out why when we visited the "fitness center" in the basement - which is where the smoking rooms are. Directly below our room! We're from NY - we are not used to smoking at all - it's not allowed at hotels or bars in NY, thank goodness. At any rate, upper floors are key.

The walls, as mentioned by others, are thin. We were woken up at 3:30am by a TV and loud shouting/banging.

The breakfast was very good - a step above continental for sure. And the serving staff at breakfast VERY kind and helpful.

We would definitely stay there again, but with earplugs and not on that first floor, unless the hotel goes totally non-smoking, which they really should consider.

Room Tip: Avoid first floor unless you like cigarette smoke smells!
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank catsnotkids
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Everything in this hotel was perfect. From the large & comfy rooms to the many "little" extras like fresh cookies in the lobby & a book shelf full of books & games available in the computer room.

Unfortunately the pool & hot tub were not *IN* this hotel. We were a little disappointed when we discovered that the pool & hot tub we had access to were in the hotel next door. In fact - it appeared the cluster of 3 or 4 hotels in this location all use this one pool.

It was just a short walk across the parking lot but in the winter time, an inconvenience to have to put on warm clothes or coats & boots to go enjoy the pool. But like I said - this was a *little* disappointment.

The *BIG* disappointment was how disgusting the pool, hot tub and whole pool area were. The hot tub was gross and the water barely lukewarm, the water looked it hadn't been cleaned in days.

We decided to try the pool instead, but it was the same temperature... just barely warm. And as I moved my hand through the water, a huge clump of nasty hair became entangled in my fingers. It turned my stomach - so we got out & left.

The whole pool area - floor, bathrooms, etc were filthy. Obviously with 3 or 4 hotels all using the same pool area, many users are coming in from outside with wet & dirty shoes.. and they do not do anything to remedy that.

If the pool is that bad, I would hate to see what the rooms over there are like.

Although I found cheaper rates elsewhere, we specifically wanted a hotel with a pool & were excited to book at Smart Suites. As happy as I was with the hotel itself, I feel I wasted the extra money spent to have access to a pool and hot tub.

Room Tip: We had a one bedroom with 2 double beds, room 302 I think. It was an end room so we had 2 views - th...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 29, 2011

We stayed for 2 days in room 304. We were 2 couples. This place is absolutely perfect,quiet, its clean,nicely decorated and has everything you need. Only thing is if your staying 4 people better get 2 beds or an air mattress because the pull out sofa is very bad. The continental breakfast was really amazing it has everything you need. I don't know if its because its the holidays but this was the best continental breakfast I saw by far. I recommende this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Do not use the sofa bed its not comfortable.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 26, 2011

We stayed at the Smart Suites Thanksgiving night after spending the holiday with our son who lives in Burlington. The suite was large and very comfortable with a full kitchen and counter/table, a living room with a desk, sleeper couch, comfy chair and tv, a decent size bedroom with another tv and sink/closet area separate from the bathroom and shower. Perfect set-up to spread out and relax, work, watch tv. The free wi-fi was wonderful - I was able to do some work both at the desk and while lounging on the couch. When we first got into our room, I grabbed the ice bucket and went looking for an ice machine, to no avail. The young man at the reception area explained there was none and that each suite has an ice maker as part of the freezer/refrigerator. He asked if I needed ice immediately, and when I replied yes, he arranged to have a bucket of ice sent up to the suite about 10 minutes later. While waiting for that ice, I flipped the switch and my ice maker made the first batch. The hotel offers a decent breakfast - a step above the standard, but not quite as varied and bountiful as a Homewood Suites. I just put a whole bunch of hard boiled eggs and apples into bowls and brought them up to the room. My only complaint is that the walls seem paper thin - I heard tvs, other conversations, showers running, etc. all at a very loud volume as if they were practically in the same room. I couldn't tell if it was all coming from next door or the floor above. It was distracting and annoying. Once it got late, however, everyone quieted down and the hotel was very quiet - I did not hear any street noise nor anything else until the morning.

Room Tip: I am not sure if the noise problem could be solved by location in the hotel. It is worth asking for...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank kfl56
Reviewed November 6, 2011

When I first walked into the room, I thought there'd been a mistake because it was so big! the room was lovely, the air was fresh and clean, and spotless! I was so pleased because the last hotel I stayed at for the same price was the exact opposite. The walls were a little thin, but I ran the air on low most of the evening, and though I'm a light sleeper, I was undisturbed. The staff was pleasant, something else that was appreciated after the last hotel. I will stay here from now on when I'm in Burlington.

Room Tip: I was told there are rooms for smokers, but I stayed on the second floor, and didn't find any od...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank abelles34
Reviewed November 5, 2011

Stayed at Smart Suites - has a one bedroom suite w/ kitchen / nice accomodations for a reasonable price. I would stay again / the only thing that wasn't quite up to par was the cleaning of our room.

Good location - close to Church Street area - good restaurants there.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burli...
#7 of 12 in South Burlington
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#9 of 12 in South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Bur...
#8 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Smart Suites Burlington? Share your experiences!