“As Bette Davis quipped, "What a Dump!"”
Review of Anchorage Inn

Anchorage Inn
Ashland, Massachusetts
“As Bette Davis quipped, "What a Dump!"”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and I went to this hotel (I use the term loosely) some time ago for parents weekend at UVM to visit our son. At that time, it was the only available option for a decent price. The hotel location was great. Our room was spacious with a big window. Those are the only positive comments I can give. The room was filthy and dreary. The bathroom was claustrophobic and smelled of mildew. When taking a shower, the plastic shower curtain kept closing in on the bather. The finishes of the room and bathroom were poor. Our mattress looked like a crime scene with dark (I hope it wasn't blood) stains on the side panels. As we walked toward their "breakfast area" (which consisted of boxed cereal); the utility room was open and extremely grungy. There was no attempt to have an attractive interior at all. Due to the unhygienic bathroom (& disgustingly dirty room), we both came down with bad colds and felt sick from our visit. It remains the worst place I have ever stayed in my life. I can only say stay away (even if the price is enticing) because getting sick is not worth it.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel (Best Western or Doubletree) which are close by.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LyndaN678

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Amherst, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We arrived in Burlington without having made prior arrangements for a place to stay. We began our search at the Marriott, which was full and recommended a different place. Everywhere that we went turned out to be fully booked and sent us to different location, each sketchier than the previous until finally we arrived at the Anchorage Inn.

Upon arrival, the smell of marijuana smoke was very noticeable. The woman at the front desk was pleasant, and the price was right, so we thought we'd give it a shot. The key we received was as new and clean as the room we entered. It was on the first floor, with a dingy little door and three brass worn numbers stapled to the outside. It was unsettling.

Upon entry, my girlfriend was practically reduced to tears. The carpets. The beds. The walls. STAINS. Even the chairs! There was only one overhead light and the bathroom was smaller than the car.

We spent the evening in downtown Burlington and had a few drinks to get our mind off of the travesty that was the Anchorage Inn. Upon return we tried to watch television but the remote was nowhere to be found. We had to spend the evening getting up to adjust the channels and volume.

The other guests in the hotel were anything but family friendly. Knocking at the door all night, screeching and slamming. When it was nearing midnight I ran out to my car to get a few things I found myself face to face with our neighbors. The woman's teeth told the whole story- she was an addict. The man was just plain uncomfortable. When he looked at me I felt as if he were trying to eat away at my soul with his eyes. I politely said "how's it going?" and they responded by looking at me and whispering to each other as I walked away. When I returned to the room I dead bolted the door and locked all of the windows right away.

In the morning, we headed to the lobby for what the woman at the front desk to referred as the "continental breakfast". We were disappointed, to say the least. Convenient store donuts, lukewarm coffee, and a couple pieces of bruised fruit awaited us. There was nowhere to eat. We quickly left our key in the front desk and left, leaving the horror that was the Anchorage Inn in the rearview mirror looking at the freeway on which it is located.

If you're a family, don't stay here. If you're older, don't stay here. If you aren't looking to hire prostitutes or do drugs, don't stay here. In fact, do yourself a favor and don't even leave home, if you're thinking about coming to this monstrosity.

Talk about a RIP-OFF.

OH. I forgot. The comforter was BLOOD-STAINED. Let those by my parting words about this place.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms here.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Alison B

Travelers are raving about these South Burlington hotels

Ellwood City, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We recently stayed at the Anchorage Inn while touring New England by motorcycle. Our room was clean and the beds comfortable. There is an indoor pool available for guests to use and just a light breakfast available. The property is under new ownership and while in need of updates, it is a great value. Not fancy but comfortable. The rooms are huge and have so much potential - especially for parents moving kids to college or those coming in for an extended stay. I have no complaints about the hotel only suggestions which I left with the front desk. We were warmly welcomed at the front desk and everything was explained. Given a room where we could easily see our bikes. I wish the new owners the best of luck with this property and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Oriskany, New York
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Our family rented four rooms for two nights-
aug. 31 and Sept. 1. Our rooms were not cleaned, wet towels left on the floor =, beds not made and garbage not emptied, even though we were away from the inn from 11 am until 9 pm on the 1st. We registered a complaint with the management and have called several times with no response. Also the rugs were dirty and the bedding was questionable as to cleanliness.

Room Tip: go to a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Donna C
Plattsburgh, New York, United States
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel many times[ at least 3 times a year] for the past several years. During my last visit, it appeared to have some problems with staffing and "guests'. This visit.. PROBLEMS SOLVED!! Hotel appears to be under new management....friendly and helpful staff....many nice choices for the continental breakfast, fresh fruits,juices,cereals,baked goods, hot beverages,milk....[NO hot food, but that's what a continental breakfast is!] Indoor hallways were clean,quiet,no unpleasant smells, and very nice instrumental music softly playing in background....VERY nice touch! Pool and hot tub were wonderful as well! Front desk very helpful in supplying large fluffy towels for the pool area... almost nicer than what I've had at home! rooms were clean....a wee bit out-dated, but an excellent value for the money!It was very clear to me that care and attention are becoming the hallmarks for this hotel....Guests are made to feel welcome from the minute they enter to the time they depart I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Anchorage Inn......can't wait to come back again!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Terri M
Scotia, NY
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Day old breakfasts, no maid service, don't expect your beds to be made, dank, dirty, lights didn't work. Ewwwww! If this was a restaurant, the health dept. would have closed it long ago as a health risk.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TigoLucian
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed August 25, 2012

Only place left to stay in, recommended from another full hotel.(had tried 4 other places close by) Our timing was poor, festival on in town so many places booked out. Called around six pm, room not ready for an hour or two, paid full rate, very expensive for what we got. Sheets not good on bed, had to change them from the other double bed.... Glad to check out to be honest.... If you could stay somewhere else do, suppose its one of the reasons there was availability in the place..... Won't be back......

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Niall
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Bur...
#8 of 12 in South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burli...
#7 of 12 in South Burlington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burli...
#4 of 12 in South Burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Anchorage Inn? Share your experiences!