“Less Than Expected”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Very disappointed after seeing all the positive reviews here and elsewhere. We tried it during Vermont Restaurant Week. First off, they failed to have a record of our reservation. The minute we walked in the placed reeked of fish frying fat and the noise hit us like a loudspeaker at a rock concert. Sound was so poorly controlled that we couldn't hear each other or the waitress; she constantly had to ask us to repeat ourselves. The Garlic Soup was wonderful while the Fish & Chips consisted of 4 small nuggets of overcooked "something" and oozy French Fries. When we got home we had to change our clothing because it was so saturated with fish-fry odor. Perhaps it was an off night for them. It wasn't a good night for us and it was not inexpensive. That was last evening. Part of what motivates me to write this is that I'm not feeling too well today.

There are newer reviews for Wooden Spoon Bistro

Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

We had a fantastic meal here, will be returning in the future. Only thing that we could see being a problem was the service was slow, but the food made up for it. Everything tasted very good specially the fried clams with the truffle aioli.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I have eaten here on multiple occasions and have never had a meal that I was not please with. The menu is relatively small, so very picky eaters may have trouble finding something. However I prefer a small well prepared menu that guarantees fresh ingredients. The menu prices are more than fair for the quality of preparation you are receiving and you could easily expect to pay more if you ordered the same in a "fancier" restaurant.
There is a full bar with a nice wine and beer menu. The atmosphere is casual and relaxed and this may not be the place for you if you read Bistro and think quiet and romantic.
What kept this from receiving an excellent ratting was the service, some more quality control or oversight in the front of the house would go a long way towards making this one of the top restaurants in S. Burlington.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Good fresh baked bread and soup . You can see the staff preparing the food and chose from many combinations , that is salad bar or a la carte

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Great little spot. Food very good, not huge portions, but proportionately appropriate. Went on a Friday evening, made a reservation...place was jamming. Had to wait for a few even though there was an open table and had to ask the hostess to be seated at the available table. During our dinner, the waitress inadvertently picked up my almost full glass of wine when she picked up the empty wine glass next to it as well. When I called her back to ask for my newer glass, she didn't recall taking it and brought me a new glass of wine that was only 1/4 full and notably a much lesser quality...it was not drinkable and just in bad taste! I asked for a full glass of the wine I had been drinking that she inadvertently took, and she did bring me the new full glass, but charged me for that glass. What would it have cost for them/her to just replace my glass of wine that she took in error...will keep me and my friends from going back there!