“Creative, tasty food!”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Burlington, VT
“Creative, tasty food!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I have become faithful regulars of this establishment. Prices are very reasonable for food of this high quality. There are some very creative selections on the menu, as well as "comfort food" items. When I order a dish for a second time, it is consistently as excellent as it was the first time; the chef never seems to have a bad night. The menu changes with the season, but this fall, don't miss the fried brie app with cherry compote and white truffle oil. The squash bisque is velvety goodness. And the "ravioli of the day" has various filings and well-matched sauces - a recent favorite was beef cheeks with with a wild mushroom gravy. I'm not much of a meat eater but my husband is a dedicated carnivore - we both find plenty of choices at each visit. The "special" is always worth a try. Save room for the mini-cheesecake dessert, or the pumpkin mousse parfait! We sit at the bar, for friendly and fast service.

• Visited October 2012

Boston, Massachusetts
“Back for more!”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

We ate here for the first time about a year ago and when hubby asked where I wanted to go for dinner on this trip, I really didn't think twice. The Wooden Spoon--and this time we had no trouble finding it, even in the dark.

Everything was just as delicious as our first visit. After reading all the reviews here, we decided to check out the short ribs for me and the scallops for hubby. I started with the caesar salad and he tried the warm spinach salad. We skipped dessert.

My salad was delicious--cold and crisp and lettuce-y. The dressing was perfect; most of the time caesar dressings are so full of garlic and pepper that's all I taste. Hubby's salad was gone before I got a chance to try it, so I can't report. My main course was nothing like I had expected it was going to be (that is to say more bone than meat and a bit fatty). Instead what was delivered to the table was all meat, no fat, no bone and full of flavor. The meat was so tender that I could cut it with a fork. It was topped with a tomato sauce that really tasted of tomato. The only thing that wasn't perfect was the mashed potatoes but that is because I don't like pepper in my mashed pots--but I ate them because pepper aside, they were good, home made from real potatoes. At first, I thought the serving was on the small side but half way through I realized that it was actually perfectly portioned--enough to fill you up but not out. As for the scallops, they were a real treat for him because I never ever cook them. I wouldn't even taste them, so you will have to take my word that there as delicious as has been previously reported.

Service was wonderful--comfortable, knowledgeable, pleasant. We timed our arrival perfectly and they were able to seat us. Next time, though, we will make a reservation to make sure that we get a table. Our server was very helpful--and she kept our water glasses full without ever having to be asked!

I can't wait to come back to continue working my way down the menu.

• Visited November 2012
Milton, VT
“What a surprise!”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Who would have guessed that such a great restaurant is tucked away on Williston Road. We are a couple of hard to please diners and we were both thrilled. The ambiance, the staff and the FOOD. All rolled up into a great dinner experience. Even the prices are reasonable.

You have to check it out to believe it!

Allison and David

• Visited October 2012
Williamson, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Restaurant”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I've eaten at this fine restaurant about 5 or 6 times now and have never anything to complain about. I ate there last night with two friends. I had the flat iron steak and it was delicious. We shared an appetizer of the "hot" wings. They were full of flavor and didn't take our heads off! We all enjoyed our meals. The service is very friendly and unhurried. We had a little time to kill and the server was very pleasant with no pressure to hurry up and leave, even though the place had filled up while we were there. If there is a drawback, it's only that the menu is somewhat small, and they were out of a couple of items. However, it gives the chef the ability to concentrate on doing an excellent job of what they are preparing that night.

• Visited August 2012
Burlington, Vermont
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“really bad service”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

we had a very unfortunate experience with wooden spoon bistro! We were very excited to eat here as it has just opened up in Burlington. The small restaurant is tucked away near higher ground in south burlington. The location is not ideal, and kinda looks like a grungy dinner... the inside was a little better but crowded and lacking a certain ambiance. The menu was eclectic and interesting, but overall did not deliver! We ordered buffalo wings and soup to start, both were bland and unappealing. For the main course we ordered a Burger and I received the Salmon special, the burger was way overdone, and the salmon like the starter was bland and unappealing! Overall very disappointed with the food, for dessert we got chocolate cake which tasted like it was out of a box, but at restaurant price! The service was horrible, the waitress totally incompetent...

Visited December 2011