“Clean and convenient...”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in South Burlington
“Clean and convenient...”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I was very impressed with the upgrade to the hotel's rooms, as I had not stayed there since it was the Ramada. It was an easy cab ride to downtown. There was a refrigerator in our room which was a nice surprise!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Jen B, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time out to review your recent stay at our hotel. I do hope that you had a fantastic time while visiting Burlington! I'm so happy to hear that you not only recognized but enjoyed all of the upgrades/renovations we have made to our hotel over the years. A lot has certainly changed since we were a Ramada! We added on the suites section and have made many upgrades including furniture, carpeting, and in-room items like bedding, TVs, etc. It is true that all of our guest rooms have a refrigerator in them - the standard rooms have a mini-fridge and our suites have a full-size refrigerator; this is certainly an amenity that a lot of guests enjoy and appreciate alike! I hope that you had the opportunity to utilize some of our on-site amenities while you were here - our indoor pool, hot tub, and/or 24-hour fitness center, our complimentary wi-fi service or business center, or maybe you even had a chance to try our restaurant, Trader Duke's. It's true that our location is very convenient to downtown Burlington - only 1.5 miles to Church Street and a very quick and easy cab ride. I hope that if you have the chance to visit Burlington again that we will be your choice for lodging. Thank you for choosing the DoubleTree!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2012

It was the middle of the week, but for some reason we had difficulty booking at a more reasonably priced hotel. We thought that, since we were paying more, we would get a nicer room. False. I felt claustrophobic in this room where there was no room to move. You walk right into the sink area (ie: no real entrance to the room) and the bath area is tiny, too. The hotel did not accept AAA or give a senior's rate. There is no break for breakfast either, in the restaurant which is attached to the hotel. At 1st, they tried to give us a room on the ground floor, where the headlights of cars shine directly into the room. Luckily I had just walked by those rooms to get to the entrance, so I had seen this risk and asked for a room on the 2nd floor. They were at least kind enough to grant this request. The room was clean, but he air conditioner is positioned in such a way as to blow directly in your face when you are in bed. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that's not on the ground floor where the headlights shine right into the room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. You and I have had the opportunity to follow-up directly after your stay and we certainly do appreciate the feedback. We were able to grant the AAA rate which did reduce your room rate. Burlington is a very busy city in the summer and unfortunately that does lead to higher rates. This is true of all hotels and not just the DoubleTree by Hilton. I am glad that we were able to offer you the AAA discount as this is certainly a discount that should always be available! Although we do not offer complimentary breakfast, our restaurant Trader Duke's does serve breakfast daily and a delicious one at that! I'm glad that we were able to accommodate your request for a room on the second floor. It was my pleasure following-up with you after your recent stay!
Enfield, Connecticut
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The DoubleTree has some positive points, but overall it smells musty and feels dingy. The cleaning staff works hard, and it's not their fault – it's more that the hotel may need to replace the carpet, clean the air vents, put the air conditioner on more in the halls – or do all of these things to improve the air quality.

Basically, the DoubleTree has the quality of a large motel, with some upgrades. Yet the rate was fairly high, considering what they offer. After checking in, I realized that the Burlington area is really expensive, so whereas I could have gotten a much nicer hotel for the same rate in most areas, a nicer hotel would cost much more in Burlington.

In the future, I would try to stay in a nearby town, and make day trips to Burlington, to get a nicer hotel room for a lower rate.

If you can afford it, go somewhere better. If you're looking for a midrange hotel, try somewhere else. If you don't really care about the smell and appearance of a hotel, and want great service and a convenient location close to downtown Burlington, than you'd probably like this hotel.

The bathroom looked nice, but it was tiny. The sink is outside of the bathroom in a place where you can't turn on the light without waking up anyone who is still sleeping. I wanted to let my husband sleep late, but I couldn't get ready in the dark, so that's not a good design.

On the positive side, the staff was friendly and ready to help, the on-site restaurant has decent food at reasonable prices, and the hotel is located close to downtown Burlington.

One unexpected bonus was the water quality – it made my hair look and feel beautiful! That might seem like a strange thing to get excited about, but I come from an area with hard water, and it's amazing the difference great water can make to your skin and hair. That was one of the best parts of the hotel. After taking a shower there, my hair looked better than if I had just left a salon in my home town.

We ate at the restaurant, Trader Duke's, twice, and it was good, ordinary food. If Burlington didn't have so many great restaurants, we would have eaten at the hotel more often. The best part about Trader Duke's was the prices – they were quite reasonable for the area, and all of the food was decent quality. The service was good, and overall Trader Duke's is a great value for your money.

On our last night, we walked across the street to the Windjammer Restaurant, and the food there was delicious, with an amazing salad bar – but very expensive. My advice is to eat at Trader Duke's most of the time if you're on a budget, but try the Windjammer once for a special treat, and also make sure you try some of the more exotic food options in downtown Burlington.

The hotel is right next door to the Gift Barn, which is a great place to buy gifts. At first I thought that the Gift Barn was expensive, but after shopping around, I again realized that it's the area – the Gift Barn's prices were actually a little better than other stores we found. We bought most of our gifts there.

My biggest recommendation for the hotel is to get rid of that musty smell in some of the halls. It's unpleasant, and awful for people with allergies. Once we got to the room, I kept the window open most of the time, so we were ok in the room, but some of those halls smell bad.

My biggest praise for the hotel is that they have a great staff, a nice restaurant, and a convenient location.

However, I'm giving the hotel a lower rating because fresh air is very important to me, and the bathroom was just too small and cramped. Overall, it's not worth the rate they charge, even considering the cost of everything in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Jen B, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you very much for the review of your recent stay at our hotel - I hope that you enjoyed your time spent in Burlington! I appreciate the kind comments you made regarding the service and friendliness of our staff - we certainly do strive to provide the warmest and most caring service to all of our guests and I'm very glad to hear that you experienced that while you were here! I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed your meals in Trader Duke's Restaurant and Lounge. It's quite convenient to have such a delicious restaurant right at our hotel and that's great that you took the opportunity to dine there when you were here. I do appreciate your comments and concerns about the "musty" smell around the hotel and am happy that you pointed that observation out. We are always striving to increase our guests' satisfaction with their stay and our hotel and we would not be able to remedy issues without our guests' feedback! Currently we have been cleaning out our HVAC units and air filters to increase efficiency and cleanliness and we have also spent some time deep cleaning carpets. Believe it or not, the carpeting in the hallways is less than a year old and we are still working on replacing carpeting once business slows down a little bit. Once again, we thank you for your review and comments and I hope that you will have the chance to visit Burlington again in the future!
Lebanon, NJ
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the Burlington Brewers Festival and were very very happy with our choice. We had originally booked a king sized bed but had then found out our friends were going to be going to the festival and were up for sharing a room. We called and tried to change to a room with 2 double beds and they put us on the waiting list. For the first time ever, we actually got changed to a room with 2 double beds!

We arrived to the DoubleTree late on Friday evening and although I didn't eat my cookie, it was a nice treat to have a warm chocolate cookie waiting for you. The room was large and clean. The bathroom was kind of separated with the toilet and shower in a closed door room and the sink in the common area. This worked out well with 4 people trying to get ready in the morning.

The price here was very reasonable and were really happy to stay here! We'll definitely be back for the next Brewers Festival!!

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel - it sounds like you had an awesome time in Burlington and at the Brewers Festival! I'm so glad to hear that we were able to accommodate your request to move from a room with 1 king bed to a room with 2 double beds. Summer is a very busy time of the year in Burlington and sometimes we are unable to accommodate such requests. I'm happy that it worked out for you and your friends to share a room while you were in town! Thank you for recognizing the cleanliness of our guestrooms. Our housekeeping staff works very hard to maintain high cleanliness standards and I'm very happy that you recognized that! Sounds like you will be returning to the Burlington area again in the future - maybe next summer for next year's Festival. We hope that the DoubleTree by Hilton will be your choice for lodging - we'll have some warm cookies waiting for you!
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

Let's see, the drain in the sink was slow, you had to let the water run for 5 minutes (seriously) to get hot water, the cable is lame for some stations, they don't clean their gym..... Need I continue? I stay in hotels 100 nights a year and this one I'd pass on the next time in town. Too expensive for a gussied up OLD hotel. I'm disappointed that Hilton lets them get away with this.

Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Russ O
Jen B, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for the review of your recent stay at the DoubleTree. I hope despite your disappointment in your lodging choice that you still enjoyed your time in Burlington! It is absolutely true that we are an older building - we have been successfully functioning as a hotel since the 1960's. While we may not be the newest hotel in Burlington, we certainly have a number of other attributes that have made it so that we are one of the most popular hotels in the city as well as the number 10 DoubleTree of all DoubleTree's in the brand - over 250! We have an awesome, friendly, and accommodating staff and this is one of the biggest reasons that we have so many return guests that stay with us. In addition, we offer complimentary parking and wireless internet, which you must pay for at other hotels in the city. Our brand scores for cleanliness, food and beverage, and overall service are superior within the DoubleTree family and we have received high marks on all of our Quality Assurance assessments, which are directly given to us by Hilton. I'm sorry that you experienced an issue with the hot water/drain in your guestroom; I do hope that as soon as we were made aware that we did everything to rectify the situation for you. Our fitness center is certainly cleaned on a daily basis and I apologize if it did not seem this way to you. If you would like to give our hotel another chance or wish to speak further regarding your recent stay, please feel free to reach out to the hotel at 802-658-0250 and ask for the Guest Services Manager. I'd be more than happy to chat with you!
Allen Park, Michigan
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The Doubletree hotel in Burlington is conveniently located between the airport and downtown, both of which are about ten minutes away. My room had a king-sized bed with about a dozen pillows on it, the room was clean and comfortable, and although mine was the first room down the hallway from the reception desk, I was never disturbed by noisiness outside the door. I would have given the hotel the last star, but my one complaint was that there was no complimentary coffee in the lobby, and I had to go next door to the restaurant and purchase one. Yes, agreed, it's a small thing, but after paying over $150 for the night, I would expect to at least get a free cup of Joe in the morning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ulmubi
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the DoubleTree - I hope that you enjoyed your time in our city! I'm very happy to hear that you appreciate the convenient location of our hotel - very close to the airport, downtown Burlington, and other local businesses and points of interest! Thank you for recognizing the cleanliness of our rooms. Our housekeeping staff works very hard to ensure that we maintain the highest standards of cleanliness and I'm very happy to see that you recognized this during your stay. I understand your comment regarding no complimentary coffee available in the lobby and I apologize for this inconvenience. Inside all guestrooms there is a Wolfgang Puck coffee maker and we also have a small coffee set-up inside our restaurant Trader Duke's. I do hope that if you are traveling back to Burlington for business that you might consider staying with us again. We'll be waiting to greet you with a warm DoubleTree cookie!
Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Stayed here for a wedding, hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. It was nice to have a pool/hot tub but as some other reviews mentioned the towels were disgusting, discolored, and old. Bed was comfortable and room was to my expectations from an amenity point of view. Very convenient to airport and to Burlington. Room setup was strange with the sink right next to the main door. While brushing my teeth in the AM, I could literally hear every move the cleaning staff made in the room across the hall. Some kids pointed out that the lamps in the lobby were filled with cobwebs. Restaurant was disappointing, upon ordering found out that my first, then second choices were no longer avail. Our waiter also took a room service order up to a room and disappeared for 20 mins. Strange. Overall a decent place, but could use a little more attention to detail to get another star

Room Tip: The suites in the back (where a family member stayed) were nice bc they were big and clean and had l...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Elby23
Thank you very much for taking the time out to review your recent stay at our hotel. I hope that you had a great time while in Burlington! I'm so glad to hear that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful. We are always aiming to provide the warmest and most caring attention and service to our guests and I'm happy to hear that this is what you experienced. I also appreciate your comment regarding our pool towels. As I have explained in a previous response, we are in the process of purchasing new towels for the pool and fitness center and will be replacing the current ones in August. It's true that our location is very convenient to downtown Burlington and the Burlington International Airport - only 5 minutes from both. I hope that you got to experience a little bit of our city while you were here for a wedding! I'm going to take your feedback about the restaurant and pass that along to Trader Duke's manager. We are currently undergoing some menu changes and I do apologize that your first and second choices were no longer available at the time of your order. Without guest feedback we would not be able to make things better around the hotel or address the items that need the most attention, so again I thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay and hope that you will have the opportunity to visit Burlington again in the future!
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 8 in Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlin...
#1 of 12 in South Burlington
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington Downtown

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington? Share your experiences!