“Gone Down Hill”

Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in South Burlington
Reviewed September 10, 2007

We have stayed at this hotel for years but since Comfort Inn recently took over the place is now a dump! The room didn't get cleaned. We had to complain to management to get it serviced. The management was rude and uncooperative.The grounds were dirty with old beer cans and trash.The room smelled moldy.The pool was filthy.There were cigarette butts floating in the water! Won't go back-be warned this is not the old University Inn we used to love. Stay away.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank loraxVermont
LHQA, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us a review. We are sorry that your stay with us wasn’t satisfactory and that you found the rooms and grounds to be dirty. We are constantly upgrading and changing things around the hotel and your review gives us places to concentrate on. We can assure you that the grounds are now clean and very manicured. Please keep us in mind on your next trip to Vermont.

Reviewed September 4, 2007

The main building where you register seems nice, but we were given a key and sent to a different building. The building was old, run down, filthy and I have never in my life experienced such a horrible smell in a place I was expected to sleep. The staff was rude. I had one hotel employee walk through a door ahead of me and let it slam in my face. The employees mostly looked like slobs, the hallways were lined with carts full of dirty linens and trash (that never moved while we were there). Aside from the smell, our room was just gross. The bathroom still had the used soap in it from the previous guests. There was no heat. There were no amenities such as a blow dryer or an iron. When I called the front desk and asked to be moved because of the smell, I got a "tough luck" attitude. I pressed the issue about the smell, and they sent a kid up to squirt air freshener on the carpet! The kid told me they have to do that all the time because people complain. One bed didn't even have a blanket on it. When I called the front desk again to request blankets since our heat was broken, I got another snotty attitude. We never encountered one polite or friendly employee, (aside from the Carpet Squirter Kid). The entire experience was just horrible. Unfortunately, I had people with me and checked in too late to find another hotel. If I had to do it over again, I'd sleep in my car.

Stayed: September 2007

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We apologize that you didn’t experience a pleasant and satisfying stay with us. We are constantly upgrading and changing things around the hotel and your visit has helped us to see what we need to work on. We can assure you that your experience now would be a much more pleasant stay. We believe that a solid staff is something pertinent to a hotel running smoothly and the crew we have now is wonderful. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed August 9, 2007

Stayed only one night using their Park and Fly rate of $109.00 including return shuttle service and parking for the week while we were gone. I called all of the hotels directly and for the date we wanted this was the cheapest.

Check in was very slow with a long line and two rude people working at the counter. The were also acting as switchboard operators for the hotel and were being interupted constantly with phone calls.

We had a "suite" in the new building. In had a fridge, microwave and 2 burner stove. We didn't use any of it nor did I even bother to look in the cupboards to see what was there. Our room was clean and exactly what I would expect for this category of hotel. I would not stay here for a vacation but for a one night stay it was fine.

We did not get to sample the breakfast as it only starts at 6h30 and we had to leave before for an early flight. Seems they could have at least had coffee available for the guests leaving early.

The shuttle is 24hr and is shared with the Holiday Inn. It was prompt, clean and runs on call not on a pre-arranged schedule. It arrived within 5 minutes of calling when we left and again when we called from the airport to get back to our car.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We are delighted to hear that you were satisfied with our Park and Fly package. We are always striving for our guests to be completely satisfied and we are glad to hear that you were pleased with your stay and were able to travel without any problems. We look forward to you using our Park and Fly package in the future.

Reviewed July 5, 2007

I should have known better, but I was trying to be thrifty! There were some negative comments about this place on tripadvisor, but I thought "how bad could it really be?" Well...it was! The whole place smelled really bad...very musty. Our room, particularly the bathroom, was filthy. I did call the front desk about the bathroom and they did very promptly come and clean the very obvious filth on the tub and toilet.

The indoor pool was not well kept. I did not really check out the outdoor pool.

In my quest to be "thrifty" I insisted that my family take advantage of the free continental breakfast instead of going out elsewhere. The buffet room was an absolute disaster area. Crumbs (can you call large pieces of muffin and bagel "crumbs"?) were all over the floor and counter, spilled milk and other assorted liquids all over the counter. The "coffee" was warm water with some brown/black specs floating in it (hopefully they were coffee grounds!)

The hotel was crowded wiht many soccer teams, so maybe that added to the mess, but it was truly unacceptable. I am not a picky traveler and have never posted a negative review before...but this was too extreme to not mention.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank tripmomPennsylvania

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We apologize that your stay was not as pleasant as you would have liked. We are continuously upgrading and trying to improve the way the hotel operates and your testimony helps us to know what to work on. We reassure you that those problems are not an issue now and we have corrected them. We assure you your experience would be very different if you choose to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed May 28, 2007

Formerly the "University Inn and Suites", the now "Comfort Inn and Suites" is very conveniently located right off exit 14E in SoBurlington. It appears the signage is still in the process of being changed. The sign on the building is the old name, but there is a small Comfort Inn sign in front of the Friendly's Restaurant located directly in front of the property. There are two separate buildings. Between the two is the unheated outdoor pool - the heated indoor pool and tiny hot tub is in the Inn building.

Our room was in the suite building. It had a full sized refrigerator, a microwave, kitchen sink and two burner stove top. There were a few plates and cups, pots and pans and exactly three pieces of flatware. The room was good sized and had a queen sized bed and pull out couch. There was room to walk around the furniture. The bathroom was clean. Overall, the room was clean enough, but there were some stains in the carpet. The air conditioner was controlled by thermostat. The ventilation system made enough white noise to cover the sound of the interstate and the nearby rooms, which was pretty good.

It seems there's been an attempt to upgrade the hotel by replacing fixtures and bedding, but the hotel is still somewhat shabby. It was a good value for the 117 per night we paid, but I don't think I'd want to pay more than that.

Breakfast was disappointing- very very basic fare- bagels, factory donuts and muffins, the flip waffle maker, a few pieces of fruit. The furniture had plenty of wear and stains. There's a Dunkin Donuts just up the road- it's worth the trip.

Both pools were clean, big enough and deep. The decor around the pool was not exciting - kind of like the decor in the hotel itself.

It was a good place to stay for what we needed, but definitely not a vacation destination.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you very for much taking the time to review our hotel. We’re delighted that you felt you got a “good value” for the price you paid. We are sorry to hear that you weren’t satisfied with the breakfast. We are constantly upgrading and changing things in our hotel and your advice has given us something to work on. We strive for all of our guests to have a wonderful and satisfying experience and we are glad to hear that your stay with us was pleasant. We are glad that you found the location accommodating and we look forward to having you visit us again in the future.

Reviewed November 15, 2006

Stayed in So. Burlington for 1 night, I had no reservations so I decided to look at rooms in person. I looked at one room at this hotel. I found that the shower curtain was very mildewed, it really needed to be replaced. And also there was hair on the bed linens from the last occupant. I informed the desk clerk of this problem and she did thank me for reporting this. I ended up staying at the Hawthorne Suites, it was very nice there.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. We apologize that you found our rooms dissatisfying and that you felt the need to go to another hotel. We are continuously upgrading and changing things within the hotel and without things being brought to our attention we wouldn’t know what needs improvement. We assure you that the problem has been addressed and we look forward to seeing you in any future Vermont trip you plan to take.

Reviewed June 27, 2006

Couple from Montreal, we stayed for 2 nights. Great location in So. Burlington, just a short drive to all the action in Burlington. If you don't mind driving down to Church st, this is the hotel for you. The room was clean and the staff was more than curdious.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank Daniel P
LHQA, General Manager at Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2011

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a positive review of our hotel. We are delighted that you found our location very accommodating, our staff pleasant and the rooms clean. We strive to make our guests’ stay 100% satisfactory and we are glad to hear that your experience was so enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you the next time you’re in Vermont.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Holiday Inn Burlington
Holiday Inn Burlington
#10 of 12 in South Burlington
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Green Mountain Suites Hotel
#2 of 12 in South Burlington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burlington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Burli...
#4 of 12 in South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Bur...
#8 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington? Share your experiences!