“Top Notch Accomodations in Burlington, Vt” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Green Mountain Suites Hotel

Green Mountain Suites Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in South Burlington
Springfield, Ohio
“Top Notch Accomodations in Burlington, Vt”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2006

We stayed in the one bedroom suite which is reasonable if booked 5 nights or longer. Great king-size, comfortable bed. Room also good for a family since it has a separate bedroom and a full kitchen. Our room had a fireplace. The suite was clean with lovely furniture, two TV's, and lots of windows and light.
The free full breakfast was the best we have seen. They served eggs, meat, and either waffles or potatoes each day, along with hot, real, honest to goodness oatmeal, and the usual choices of cereals, breads, yogurt, and juices. Monday through Thursday they have a free evening reception. Both the breakfast and the reception take place in the lobby with a double-sided fireplace, and, I kid you not - adequate seating for all.
This place is complete with its own well-mannered cat.
My husband believed the indoor pool could be warmer.
I highly recommend this motel.
While there, be sure to visit Shelburne Museum and allow a day to tour all the exhibits. Fabulous. They have circus wagons, carousel horses, an old passenger train car, a steamboat, and way too much else to mention. I rank it right up there with Mystic Seaport and the Smithsonians, but is only open May through October.
Burlington's downtown pedestrian mall is charming. We dined outside in October. Also, be certain to take the narrated tour of beautiful Lake Champlain.

• Liked — clean, comfortable, great free breakfast
  • Disliked — pool kind of cold
  • Tips/Secrets — check the 5 night rate even if staying less than 5 nights
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Revuguru

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Union, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2006

I planned my trip to Vermont for months. I was very disappointed when I had to leave the Wyndam hotel due to the several bad expeirences I had there. I decieded to go to another hotel, . I chose the hawthorn suites and from the moment I called them, to the moment I arrived. I was never once disappointed. They arranged for me to arrive early, and if the room wasnt avaliable to use the pool or hang out. But the room was ready 3 hours early. They didnt even charge me for early check in. They helped me with my bags, they were very friendly, they went above and beyond to make sure I was comfortable. The fromt desk was nice, the housekeeper was amazing, they even include a full hot/cold buffet breakfast for free. The lobby is warm and inviting. The pool area is very nice and well taken care of. The rooms were wonderful, spacious, a full living room and kitchen with all cups, pots and pans, its nive to know you have even if you dont use them. The bathroom is huge and the bedroom is seperate giving you more privacy. It has 2 tvs, one in the bedroom and 1 in the living room, lots of windows. It is also in a nice quiet neighborhood about 3 blocks from the mall. This is a great hotel and will go back if ever in the area. Thanks guys making my vacation ending great, it started out very rough.

• Liked — The service, the rooms, the pool, the lobby..EVERYTHING!
  • Disliked — Everything was great, this doesnt apply
  • Tips/Secrets — this is a great find.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank lsims1973
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2006

We stayed two nights at the Hawthorn Suites during a weekend getaway to Vermont. Traveling as a family with pets, we primarily picked this hotel for it's pet friendly policy.

The hotel's proximity to the highway (only 40 minutes to Ben and Jerry's Factory and 15 minutes to The Vermont Teddy Bear Company) and short 10 minute drive to Burlington's Church Street shopping and dinning district were also a plus.

The hotel is in a quiet area located several blocks from an indoor mall with restaurants and shopping nearby. Given that Vermont is generally rural, there were many conviences close at hand.

The suites are nicely designed with plenty of space and a separate bedroom with access to the bathroom from both the bedroom and kitchenette area. Our suite had a fireplace that instantly blazed with the touch of a timer switch- very cozy. The bed was comfortable. Lighting in the bathroom was dim and the toilet had a super sonic flush sound that was disturbing, however.

The staff was very accomodating, personable and prompt. The breakfast was OK. The coffee selections were fresh and varied. The food choices consisted of french toast sticks, eggs (oddly chunky) and ham or sausage plus a variety of cereals and breads. Atlhough the staff kept the food readily available and the short line moving, the "hot" food was unfortunately cold. The dinning room was pleasant though with a stone fireplace, many tables and doors to a patio area.

If you are traveling with pets, this hotel is great. The pet fee is only $10 a day extra (covering all pets in the room). Pets can be left uncrated in the room while you are out. When food is not being served, pets are welcome in the lobby. There are sidwalks for a nice stroll with small grassy areas. And you can get a late check-out until 3:00 PM for an additional $30 fee. For us this worked out well since we could leave our pets in air conditioned comfort while we toured Vermont a bit longer.

Only certain rooms are for pets, so those who have allergies (or want pristine carpeting) can request a non-pet room as well. For those with severe pet allergies, also be aware that the inn has a cat that frequents the lobby area. For those of us who enjoy animals, the cat is a cute touch, but for some I know, this would be a problem.

I obtained a better rate than what was offered online by calling the hotel directly.

When in the area of a future visit, I would not hesitate in staying at the Hawthorn Suites again!

• Liked — Attractive, pet friendly suites
  • Disliked — Warm breakfast items were cold
  • Tips/Secrets — Call the hotel directly for the lowest rates
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank TravelingfromCT
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2006

I just returned from a six night stay at the Burlington VT Hawthorn Suites. We checked in on Saturday and found the first room they gave us unacceptable. It was a pet friendly room and smelled liked it was! Traveling with two small children we didn't think it was a good idea to stay since kids usually play on the floor and who knows what was covered up by cleaning solutions! The front desk was very accommodating when I requested a room change. The hotel was sold out so my options were very limited since most guests had checked in the night before. The front desk did give me 3 rooms to select from and we ended up with a very nice room on the first floor that was very quiet. The pool was okay, kind of chilly but the kids loved it and most days we were the only ones in it. The work out room was adequate; having stayed there before I was aware of that and this time brought my own DVD player from home with some workout videos. Breakfast and morning coffee were boring, same thing daily, powdered eggs and greasy sides...not much to choose from if you watch what you eat. Not many breakfast restaurants in the area but plenty of good lunch and dinner places. As for the free happy hour, wine selections were good, food choices were not too great but it was free and avoided having to drive to find someplace to eat. The hotel location is great, 10 minute drive to downtown Burlington and waterfront. Great walking/bike path along the waterfront (starts at ECHO aquarium) and can go in either direction. About 45 minutes to 1 hour away from major attractions such as Ben & Jerry's & Cabot cheese factory but ride is scenic. I recommend that if you are not traveling with pets to request a non-pet room, also part of the hotel faces Dorset Street which is loud so if you can request either a courtyard view room or a quiet room facing a side street.

• Liked — separate bedroom from living area
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
4 Thank Disneyrunner2015
Montreal
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2006

Pros: Large room (suite) containing a very large bathroom, bedroom with king-size bed and living room/kitchen with a pull-out sofabed. The room was very clean, not spotless, but fine. The lobby area is very charming with a "lodge" feeling. Location was great - easy drive to anything in the area. Bedding for the king bed was good - with a duvet. The cold selection at the buffet (cereals, toast, yogurt) was nice. Hot tub in the pool area was very hot and nice.

Cons: The amenities (shampoo, soap) were pretty basic. Beds were VERY soft. Bedding for the sofabed were torn and old. Toilet has a flush that is similar to those in airplanes - extremely noisy, to the point that you are woken up when someone uses the toilet - is this type of flush really necessary? Breakfast is included, but the hot part was not very appealing. Pool area was OK, not great - the towels that they provide are tiny. And I found the water too cold.

Overall, I would stay again, but only if i got a better rate - i found the rate I paid quite expensive - I would say this hotel is worth $100/night.

• Stayed July 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MTLGAL
Montreal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2006

I stayed with a friend of mine for one night at the Hawthorn suites in south Burlington in room 105.
Positive: The room is very clean and large, the beds are fantastic and breakfast excellent.

Negative: It was listed on the internet site of the hotel that the room had a VCR and I also asked for one at time of booking. Room we had asigned had no VCR.
There is no bathtub. The shower head was broken.
One chair was broken, but I didn't realise this until I sat down and I fell forward, not a real big deal, but someone might get really hurt.

Major problem: NOISE. I had requested a room on the third level, but received a ground floor room. At 5:30 am on Sunday the people above us got up and for 2 hours we could hear everything. Not their fault offcourse but this is how the building is designed.

Would probably stay again at hotel but only when I can get a room on the third floor !.

• Stayed May 2006
9 Thank Monique1V
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2006

We recently stayed at the Hawthorn Suites for 3 nights. From the time we entered the lobby with it's beautiful fireplace and comfortable lounge area it felt like home. We were even greeted by the hotel cat; Butterscotch - my kids loved that. The staff was very friendly and helpful from answering questions about real estate in the area, to giving the children drawing paper and sending up extra towels and a wine bottle opener. We went to our room and found a very clean, spacious 1 bedroom suite with full sized fridge with ice maker, stove top, microwave and dishwasher. There was plenty of room for my husband and our two children. The suite was clean, but the shower curtains had mold and could have used replacing! We loved the comfy down comforters on the beds - it felt like we were sleeping on clouds! The water pipes are very loud as are the pressure flush toilets located right beside the bedroom. I was even awaken in the middle of the night by the guest on the floor above flushing! If you are a light sleeper - I'd recommend the 3rd floor. We will ask for the 3rd floor on our next visit.

We would start our day off enjoying their free hot breakfast each morning, complete with 24 hour free coffee. The breakfast has a nice selection, but I often found things cold and the eggs - well, not to my liking, but my daughter enjoyed them. We would then head to the pool until close to lunch. I must say that we were never able to see the bottom of the pool during our stay! It was extremely cloudy, but was cleaned daily each morning. Unlike other travelers reviews, I never found it closed longer than an hour in the morning, by the time we were through with breakfast the pool was open. The hot tub was a nice treat for me while the kids played in the pool.

From Monday through Thursday they offer Social Hour in the Lobby with free heavy appetizers which vary daily, and free drinks (micro brews and wine). The children and I would head down for Social Hour with a board game in hand and spend some time eating and playing, often I would lose their attention to Butterscotch!

Our last morning there I asked the front desk if we could get an extended check out. Normal check out is 12:00, but the hotel said they could extend a free check out time until 1:00. That was plenty of time to let the children enjoy one more morning of swimming before heading home.

We have stayed at other area hotels, and will definitely return to the Hawthorn Suites. It's spacious, clean, friendly, close to everything and you can't beat the price. When you stay, please tell Butterscotch that we say hello.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 9 in Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlington
Homewood Suites by Hilton Burlin...
#1 of 13 in South Burlington
BEST WESTERN PLUS Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
BEST WESTERN PLUS Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 13 in South Burlington
Hilton Burlington
Hilton Burlington
#5 of 9 in Burlington
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,413 reviews

Been to Green Mountain Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!