“Clean, quiet, hotel. Wonderful staff.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in South Burlington
Reviewed June 3, 2010

We stayed here for four nights on a family vacation. It was university graduation weekend so hotels were quite full and prices were a bit high everywhere by the time we could book.

The friendly staff at the front desk and in the breakfast area were the highlight of this clean, quiet, basic hotel. Every employee we dealt with was polite and friendly and genuinely seemed to care that we enjoyed our stay and had a good experience.

The hotel was conveniently located for a variety of attactions that interested our family with young children and was close to shopping.

Our 2 queen bed room was a good size. The bathroom was a bit small, but there was a separate sink and vanity outside the bathroom. The beds were clean and very comfortable and the room had everything you'd need. The A/C and fan unit was somewhat loud but in general we didn't hear noise from the hallway or other rooms. Unfortunately they were not able to provide bed rails for the children, but I checked this out before we arrived and we brought our own.

The children loved the indoor swimming pool and we swam every day. The pool was clean and well-maintained. It was perhaps a bit cool for the children, but just right for someone who wants to swim for exercise or to cool off on a hot day.

The hot breakfast food was just okay but there was a good selection of cereals, bread products and juice, milk, coffee and tea. There are a nice selection of restaurants within a few minutes drive.

Based on our experience, I would definitely recommend this hotel to families with young children and couples.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Ottawa_father

Reviewed May 9, 2010

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express last night for my niece's graduation weekend. As soon as I went to check in I was greeted by a friendly, efficient, and pleasant front desk staff. When I got into my room I could not find anything to complain about. The sheets were clean and inviting, the bed was like sleeping on a cloud, and the bathroom was spotless! I took my son to the pool where I was able to enjoy the hot tub while watching him play. I went to the front desk after that and asked the staff to suggest a place to go for dinner. They made an excellent suggestion and even gave the best directions. The breakfast the next morning was also very very good, and the staff again was top notch! I cant wait to come back to Burlington so I can stay here again!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 2, 2010

Stayed at this HI Express last evening, renting 2 rooms. We are gold priority club members and after last evening we will never stay at another Holiday Inn. Within 30 minutes of check in, at 5 PM, we complained twice to the front desk, in person, regarding the party that was obviously in full swing on the floor above us. We were told that there was a soriority reunion going on and and they would not be allowed to party once 10 PM quiet hours began. Trusting the HI reputation, from the many years of having stayed at HI all over the US, I thought, mistakenly, that I and my family were valued cutomers. Was I ever WRONG!! After going out for a few hous we returned about 9 PM, waited for the 10 PM quiet hours to begin-at 11 PM called the front desk, called once again at 11:15 PM. Were told HI employees were unable to rectify situation with intoxicated guests. Police visited several times over the next 4 or more hours-no party guests were arrested or made to leave-party never stopped till 3:30 AM. This HI catered to the unruly guests and left the rest of us, who had faith in their managment practices, out in the cold or should I say up all night. The front desk took a beating the next day from all the unhappy guests. I'm sure they also heard about it from their own staff when the maids had to clean the rooms. VERY, VERY, disappointed in the inability of this HI to abide by their own policies. They did refund us our money, but it was too little too late. They will never get our business again!!!

Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank dbenton
StacyGermond, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2010

Thank you for your feedback. You and your family are, in fact, truly valued guests to us and we deeply regret your experience. Our hotel certainly does not allow late night parties and there was not a party hosted by our hotel on the evening in question. A group of guests associated with a college sorority made very unfortunate decisions which caused our other guests and staff tremendous inconvenience. The disruptive group had off site plans and contracted with our property for sleeping rooms only. Once the disorderly activity was apparent, our staff took immediate measures to remedy the situation including bringing in the support of several local law enforcement agencies. In some cases guests were removed from the property by law enforcement. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the bad decisions made by this group, it was impossible to evict all of them from the property and send them off in their vehicles thus creating a dangerous scenario for many more on the roads. We were advised by law enforcement that we could not evict the guests in question. The vast majority of our guests were undisturbed and many of those that were inconvenienced understood the difficult situation that a few misguided guests created. While we understand that refunding inconvenienced guests for their stay is hardly a fair trade for a good night sleep, we do take guest satisfaction seriously and offered compensation to those most affected. As an IHG hotel in commendable standing, every guest’s opinion matters to us. We regret deeply the above guest's experience and consequent conclusions though we stand by our actions on the evening in question. Our staff has contacted the school associated with the sorority and trusts that further appropriate action will be taken.

Reviewed April 13, 2010

I am a Priority Club Rewards Gold Member through Holiday Inn. I am usually very pleased with the quality that is associated with Holiday Inn Express hotels. The beds and rooms are always comfortable and very clean. Here in Burlington, the room itself met my expectations. However, there were several points that disappointed me during my stay. First of all, I was told when I booked the hotel that there were two treadmills in the hotel fitness center. My husband and I are avid runners and are preparing for a marathon in the upcoming month, so it was very important that we both got in a decent run during our night there, thus we were happy with the fact that the hotel had two treadmills. However, when we checked in, we found out that YES, they had two treadmills, but, unfortunately, they were BOTH out of order. I expressed my disappointment to the management, and he shrugged his shoulders and said "well, I'm sorry...." I further explained that part of the reason we chose to stay here was the fact that we were told when we booked that they had good fitness facilities, and I continued to express my discontent. He did finally call another hotel in the area which had a working treadmill, and we were granted access to that hotel's fitness facilities. I did appreciate the effort (finally), but I do wish that they would keep up their own facilities as advertised.
My second complaint is with the breakfast. I am always a big fan of the Holiday Inn Express breakfasts. The food itself here at this one was great as usual, but the staff member who was overseeing the breakfast was extremely rude, and started to break down the breakfast bar and remove the items 30minutes before she was supposed to. My husband and I had come back over from the other hotel where we had worked out, only to further scramble to try to get an adequate breakfast while she hurriedly was taking away the food items. We kindly asked the lady for at least an additional banana, and she didn't even verbally respond --- she looked at the clock, looked back at me, rolled her eyes, TURNED OFF THE LIGHTS, then went to the back, grabbed a banana, and hatefully handed it to me, then walked away.
The service was very disappointing - it definitely did not match to the quality that I have come to expect from Holiday Inn Express hotels.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NurseJessRN
Reviewed February 22, 2010

Good Hotel, stayed with large group and had a good time. No problems

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed November 12, 2009

Stayed two nights at this hotel in early November and really couldn't fault it at all.
The rooms were very spacious and very clean, the reception staff were helpful and the breakfast more than adequate. Well recommended.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2009

The room was very large and the bathroom a good size. One thing I liked was that the sink was outside of the bathroom, this was very handy meaning one person could be in the shower whilst the other is drying thier hair. The rooms are well set back away from the very busy road. The bed was comfortable and the bedding of a good standard. The breakfast was good.

There are good local restaurants within walking distance, try Pauline's it was very good. Its too far to walk to the centre of Burlington (which we found out to our cost), the taxi back was about $12.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near South Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burli...
#7 of 12 in South Burlington
Holiday Inn Burlington
Holiday Inn Burlington
#10 of 12 in South Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Burlington
La Quinta Inn & Suites South Bur...
#9 of 12 in South Burlington
Trader Duke's Hotel
Trader Duke's Hotel
#4 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South? Share your experiences!