“Comfortable room!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in South Burlington
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Upon arrival we were assigned a room on the 3rd floor. We were a little surprised at this room, as it was to be an upgrade. It seemed a bit tired & stark, but the worst was my over active nose... It wasn't an old smoke smell, which usually sets off my allergic reaction, but more of a musty odor. We returned to the front desk and made known our problem. The girl promptly offered us two key cards for the 2nd floor to check out. (Thank you!) Thankfully one of those didn't have an odor that bothered ( and we opened a window to help eliminate any cleaning smells). The room and bed were comfortable, and even though it was close to the elevator we were not bothered by any noise from there.
If you are a light sleeper, I would recommend requesting a room not facing the parking lot. We were awakened by people chatting outside at about 3 in the morning.
The normal choices for breakfast, which suits us; and a friendly, attentive, dining room attendant, was a pleasant start to each morning.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
StacyGermond, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

It is great to hear how efficiently and satisfactorily our front desk agent was able to correct your initial issue. We strive daily to treat all of our guests professionally and courteously. Thanks for the review.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I have stayed here twice and both times had similar issues. Housekeeping is lacking. Bathtub had used soap in the tuib upon check in. hair on beds upon check in. Towels not replaced between days. Room had leaking air conditioning that soaked the floor and made it impossible to go near window/desk area without getting feet soaked. Desk notified but problem not fixed and if it was repaired I wouldnt know since they left the rug soaked. Toilet sluggish to flush and was afraid it would be overflowing any minute. Desk notified but not repaired. I was offered a 25% discount off of 1 out of 3 night stay which did not match to our inconvenience. TV was changed to spanish during our stay (while we were out during room cleaning i assume). Took 20 minutes to figure out how to change it back to english. Staff although not neccessarily rude definitely not friendly and eager to help or at least seem apologetic for inconvenience. Seemed as if we were bothering them. My husband had a leg injury and parking is terrible. They made no effort to offer him a reasonable accomodation even though he came from the er during our stay. Breakfast was minimal quality and ran out of coffee and other items frequently even from the early start of the breakfast. You had to wait to get food always. I had a uvm discount and still feel it was not worth the PRICE. I would expect this from a LOWER QUALITY BRAND of hotel, certainly not HI or HIE. Will not be staying here again nor would I reccomend it. FOr the service, cleanliness of rooms and quality of breakfast i would stay in a cheaper place if thats what i was looking for

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank CarolinaDreamin_11
StacyGermond, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

I apologize for the issues encountered during your stay. I have gone over your comments with our staff to ensure our policies and procedures are being followed. This is not typical of our hotel as we pride ourselves on professional service. I hope you will stay with us again in the future, so we may rectify your perception.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

good sized room, nice & quiet but what happened to having a refrigerator in your room? breakfast was decent with their special buns, website says there's indoor & outdoor pools, NOT! only an indoor one and the whirlpool not working,, quite disappointing oh almost forgot the faucet in the room extremely difficult to use and almost impossible to control the water flow, why have such a thing installed?

Room Tip: rooms in back of the building are a long walk to elavator
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ball82

Thank you for the review on your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your guest room and our Smart Start breakfast bar. I apologize for the difficulties with the sink faucet. We look forward to serving you again on your next trip to Burlington.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Kid-approved breakfast and indoor pool/hot tub. Nice, clean rooms at a reasonable price. Good location. We had an issue with a toilet overflowing, and they came right away to fix it and move us to another room - good customer service. Very convenient location if you're doing all the activities in the Burlington area.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is the floor with the pool/hot tub.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
StacyGermond, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thanks for the review! Sorry for the inconvenience of having to change rooms, but happy to hear how quickly and effectively our staff was able to rectify the situation. We take great pride in excellent customer service.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

This hotel is neglected. I paid $175 CDN per night through hotwire for the Labour Day long weekend and feel that this is pretty expensive for what you get. This place should be $100 per night maximum but for the busy tourist season.

Yes there was a mouse in our hotel room. It woke us up at 3:30 a.m. on the last night we were there by rustling through the garbage bin next to the tv dresser. Needless to say - do not bring food into your hotel room at this place. It freaked out my wife and daughter. I know mice can be anywhere and I guess considering the condition of this hotel as a whole I wasn't surprised but....it just added to a long list of disappointments. I wish I could have grabbed my camera fast enough to get a photo.

The first night we were put in a room that had been obviously smoked in profusely. Stale smoke is not pleasant for anyone. I have a poor sense of smell but even I could smell it, the rest of the family could barely stand being in the room. My son who has asthma could barely breathe all night. Unfortunately for us there were no other rooms available at this hotel and several others in the area. We were switched rooms on the second night.

One pleasant experience was management. When made aware of the smoke issue they offered, without prodding, to call hotwire and arrange a full refund for the first night. That was amazing of them actually considering I booked through a third party website and not through them directly.

The breakfast is sub-par really. If you like processed food I suspect you may enjoy this breakfast or find it edible at least. Bacon was paper thin and tasted much like paper. Eggs were scrambled - likely microwave eggs. They rave about the wholly processed cinnamon buns...who eats cinnamon buns for breakfast anyway? Very few healthy options - bananas, yogurt, milk... We ate pretty light on the first morning and decided to eat out for breakfast on the 2nd morning.

Pool was generally dirty at least on the first night we were there and the hot tub was broken on the second night we were there. It was really nice to use the hot tub on the first night however when it was steaming hot. Makes all the tired joints from hiking Mt. Mansfield feel good. The fitness room has 3 cardio machines, no weights and feels dingy. I went for a run instead.

Lastly the mattresses in both rooms were horribly soft and unsupportive. So I suspect all rooms will probably have similar mattresses. The cot we received was likely from the 1970's. These cots need to be replaced already! Zero support and you can feel every single spring under the tired old mattress. It felt amazing to finally sleep in our own bed when we got home.

At the price we paid we will never stay at this hotel again. There are so many small INNs and bed and breakfasts that are in this town but don't appear on many booking websites like hotwire, hotels, expedia, etc... We would try and source out some of these smaller inns next time or pay more and stay at a hotel closer to downtown.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
StacyGermond, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2012

I sincerely apologize that our hotel fell short of meeting your expectations. We take all customer concerns and issues with our property seriously. I have met with our maintenance and housekeeping departments to go over your review and implement policies that will ensure that our guests will not encounter these issues. We take great pride in being a 100% nonsmoking facility and will review our current policies to ensure all of our guest understand this rule moving forward. Thank you for the feedback.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

This place needs a major face lift. I booked this hotel because of the brand. They didn't live up to my expectations. I have stayed at many HI Expresses, and this is my least favorite. Dirty bathrooms. Carpets haven't been cleaned in a while. Beds sagged.

• Stayed: August 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

Dear F4_Washington,

I would first like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to write your review of our hotel. I am pleased that you mentioned how great pour pool was. Most importantly, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the hotel conditions may have caused you. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and services are superior. Rest assured that your comments have been documented and will certainly be looked into.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Very good HIE. Helpful desk staff.
Restaurant is ok but overpriced by about 20%. If you remember to show your room card you get the 20% off. If you forget (and the staff don't remind you) it rather colours your viewpoint. I forgot. Restaurant was dead.by 8.30 and we felt we were being hustled out with no suggestion of dessert or coffee.
Disabled access is at the back of the hotel so stay in the car whilst your companion gets the keys. If you're on your own then don't bother with the back door as you need assistance to open the door; there's no auto assist.

• Stayed: August 2012
StacyGermond, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Thank you for the positve feedback on our guest service staff. We take great pride in all areas of customer service. I am sorry to hear about your negative experience at the restaurant next door to the hotel. I have met with the front of the house manager to ensure all of our hotel guests feel welcome and enjoy the discounts available to them.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Burlington
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn & Conference Center
Best Western Plus Windjammer Inn...
#3 of 12 in South Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 8 in Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burlington
Comfort Inn & Suites South Burli...
#7 of 12 in South Burlington
#1 of 4 in Shelburne
Smart Suites Burlington
Smart Suites Burlington
#5 of 12 in South Burlington

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South? Share your experiences!