“Not too Shabby”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 29, 2013

In the area to meet old friends and celebrate my wife's birthday. The Frog was her pick. The earliest we could be seated was 8:30, a Friday. We arrived a bit early and found a nearly empty
restaurant. W thought that odd seeing we couldn't get an earlier seating. No biggie. Our table was right next to the gas fireplace, which we were thankful for. "Josh" our waiter, was right there...with everything. No real specials which did not bother us at all. My wife had squash bisque to start, which was excellent and fit the bill on an early winter's light. I opted for the
fried pierogies which were very good but seemed to lack some of the ingredients listed on the menu. For dinner, my wife ordered a pork rib eye that came with bread pudding and roasted vegetables...which again was very good. I had a bison flank steak, medium, cooked to perfection. It was moist, very tender and the flavor was incredible. The Frog has a full bar with local beers and ales that must be tried. The wine list is not extensive, nor does it have to be.
It has all the right wines at reasonable prices. We selected a zinfandel which complimented our
dinners perfectly. As a side note, I read other people's reviews as I should. And this side note is not about this review in particular. People complain that they don't like things or they were odd or that they were prepared wrong or why is this on the menu?. If you don't like something, it does NOT mean it was prepared wrong with the wrong ingredients. Most of the time it's just different.
Stay home and cook or go see your mother. I'm sure she would be glad to see you. Anyway, I would not hesitate to go to the Frog again nor would I hesitate to recommend it to friends.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

Especially on a winter’s night, the atmosphere here is cozy, welcoming. But the restaurant (not pub) menu seems to have become odder since we were last here. A sandwich on the dinner menu? Not a takeoff on the Reuben, or an “inspired by,” but pretty much an actual Reuben. For dinner? Strange. Equally strange: chicken salad (yes, really), along with a humongous slab of cornbread. Other main dishes were neither delicate or subtle, altho the pierogies appetizer was delightful. Alas, our server seemed in somewhat of a hurry.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

After our long drive up from New York City, we were looking forward to a hearty and savory meal. But we were disappointed with the quality of two of the three entrees. Stick to other dining venues, especially those in Burlington, which are really top-notch for the area.

1  Thank Influencer
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We go to the Bearded Frog if special friends are in town or we are working late and are too tired to cook diner for ourselves.

The offerings are diverse enough that we rarely have the same meal twice. all are fantastic.

One close friend loves the burgers, while my wife loves the stacks (always changing).

I get the calamari every time as it is fresh and light. They know how to cook it so it is not heavy.

We often get the vegetarian offering, and are shocked that it has no meat protein. Yes, it is that good.

Michelle runs a great ship, and we frequent his other restaurant in Vergennes (Black Sheep) when ever we are in town.

1  Thank Rick L
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Went here on a Friday night for a business meeting. Really good meal. The Waldorf Salad is amazing, don't miss it. I had a cheese burger and fries. Was cooked just right with a gourmet bun. So good. Atmosphere is nice. Casual with a bit of an upscale vibe. Highly recommend giving this place a try.