WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of North Star Motel

North Star Motel
North Star Motel
Burlington, Vermont
“ZERO AIRFLOW & MOLD IN AIR FILTER!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2011

October 2, 2011 7:30PM: Very rude, not helpful at all! $38.99 rate is only for SMOKING ROOMS! All other rooms are $69.99 and $79.99 on weekends! MOLD IN THE AIR CONDITIONER! ROOM STAGNANT (NO AIR FLOW) AND SMELLS MUSTY! AIR CONDITIONER FILTER DISGUSTING! Breakfast basic bare essentials and doesn't look fresh. The only plus was free internet which most places include and location close (within 10-15 minute) to Burlington. Other places to checkout: Belair Motel (Nicest motel in Burlington in my opinion - Robyn a very nice woman - $79.99/night) and IN Burlington, and the Burlington Hostel ($35/night per person on weeknights and $40/night per person on weekends).

Room Tip: Have them clean the AC so you aren't breathing in the disgusting filter! Note: Air flow is vir...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Burlington, Vermont
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

I stayed at this place first in a basement room for the ungodly price of $69. No air, closet door wouldnt shut, medicine cabinet doors wouldnt open or close, they ran out of toilet paper and I had to buy my own. Then I was moved into a smoking room with a very small kitchentte for the price of $38. The blinds on the window were in shambles ams many of the missing, the funiture was dilapidated, a drawer was com pletely missing out of the dresser and the smoke alarm was removed from the wall. For the three days I was in this room I heard nothing but doors slamming and noisy guests. After I left I was accused of not returning the room key when in fact on the day of departure @ 9:38 a.m. I was walking to the front desk and housekeeping said give it to her and she would turn it in. Oh and this continentail breakfast..yeah okay..it's packaged pastries. If this is your last resort for a place to stay..use caution. The rooms attached sto the main building are okay and nice but the rest....don't advertise what is not real. Would I go back..only if my life depended upon it. No spa and no pool

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Shelburne hotels

Kansas City, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed at the North Star in late June, from a recommendation in a Lonely Planet guide. When they reviewed it likely years ago, they made a comment about there being 25 rooms or so. We were in room 34, in the dungeon, I mean basement, so I have a feeling the owner converted the basement into more rooms for extra income, but should have stopped with the upstairs units. The lady at the front desk seemed cold on the phone, but was nicer in person-- just a little frantic acting. She did warn us that the room would be downstairs, so that was fair but they should let people see it first and charge $15 less for it.

The room: basement, so no source of natural light except for a window well. Old, musty, dark. Bed was laughingly terrible. Sagged so much in the middle. We camp a lot and were missing laying on a hard dirt ground, if that paints any picture for you. Cob webs in corners. Key didn't work to get back in. When we brought that to the attention of the front desk, she realized she gave us the wrong key. Was apologetic but when I asked for a different room, she said they were all sold out. Bummer. Because that room should not be allowed to be rented out to anyone. We were miserable.

The next day: breakfast was all store bought pastries but it was fine for us, we aren't picky. We were just glad to be upstairs again and out of the dark, scary room. Check-out was quick, lady was friendly and apologized again for giving us the basement. If you have to apologize, don't rent the room out. Seriously. But I appreciated her care and concern, better than non-chalance.

The kicker: our overall undesirable experience was behind us until I saw that there were two charges on my credit card statement. One for what we were charged and another for over $100. I called immediately and the woman was incredibly defensive and rude at first. I wasn't calling to chew anyone out, just calmly wanted to be refunded the extra incorrect charge. She was very frantic and unprofessional resolving the issue but after a few calls back and forget, she realized she didn't charge someone at all and charged us for both our stay and the random strangers. The incorrect amount was refunded, on my statement the next day. She was not very apologetic though and again, defensively said it was an honest mistake. I never thought she was trying to scam us but as a working professional, it is her place to be nothing but professional, apologetic and accomodating. Honestly after a mistake like that and such a terrible room, she should have refunded us for our room charge also. But I wasn't going to attempt to reason with someone so unprofessional- it would be a lost cause.

Overall, I'd like to believe the upstairs rooms are better. It IS cheap, but if you are downstairs, not worth it. Staff is friendly enough, but a little off. Vermont is beautiful and there is so much to see, but research your hotels. And Lonely Planet will be contacted to rethink their recommendations.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

Charged our card the day before our reservation!!! When we got there, the room was so gross, it smelled like bleach. When I turned on the tv, I found a crack pipe sitting next it! We immediatly went to the front desk and she told us she couldnt refund our money because she didnt know how! We had to call the police! Horrible experience! Do not stay here!!!

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank jclark11582
Macon, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2011

Pros:
1. Close to Burlington and on the main road
2. One of the cheapest places I could find around Burlington
3. No problems with reservations or checking-in
4. Clean room

Cons:
1. The sign board is not illuminated at night, difficult to find
2. Room smelled of bleach
3. Front desk was closed at 6.45 am when we had to leave. We left the key in the room and called later to tell them about it. They had found the key before we called and had no problems with it.

Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2011

My boyfriend and I were traveling through the area and saw the North Star Motel and stopped in. We were very pleased with the price and the staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. We were showed a few different rooms. All were clean and very neat. We did take a room and were very pleased with our decision.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ksb29
Boscawen, New Hampshire, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2010

Checked in in the late afternoon. Plenty of empty rooms at the time, but they managed to put me (a nonsmoker) in a smoking room. Being a lung cancer survivor and suffering from COPD, I didn't really appreciate that. When I got to the room, it hadn't been cleaned; the toilet wouldn't flush (as evidenced by the paper still in the bowl); there were cigarette butts in an ashtray; loose change in the bathroom on the sink (anyone know a housekeeper that would leave anything more than a penny lying around after cleaning?); and the bed was 3" lower at the head than at the foot. I called the front desk and they said that the room had been cleaned, but sent a housekeeper anyway. I pointed out the fact that the toilet wouldn't flush and she said "Oh, well, you have to hold the handle down till it is finished flushing." ... which she demonstrated by flushing and hpolding the handle down ... twice ... to get the little bit of paper to go down. Finally told them that I would appreciate it if they could find me another room. 45 minutes later they sent me to another, slightly cleaner, room. The staff for the most part had a "who cares" attitude, from the front desk to housekeeping. I should probably say that I am 62 years old, retired and on disability, and dress in levis and t-shirts and have long, tied-back hair, but am a respected antique picker. So, I don't look like your run-of-the-mill "businessman". Perhaps this had something to do with their attitude. When I was in the are this weekend (Columbus Day), I drove right past, even though they had vacancies at the time, and will continue to drive past any time that I am in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank Rixxter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Shelburne
Quality Inn Shelburne
Quality Inn Shelburne
#1 of 6 in Shelburne
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Burlington South
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#8 of 14 in South Burlington
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
Sheraton Burlington Hotel
#4 of 9 in Burlington
Hilton Garden Inn Burlington Downtown

Been to North Star Motel? Share your experiences!