Inn at Shelburne Farms
Quality Inn Shelburne(Shelburne)(Great Value!)
$76
Days Inn Shelburne/burlington(Shelburne)(Great Value!)
$92
$84
G.G.T. Tibet Inn(Burlington)
$69
$62
$127
Comfort Suites South Burlington(South Burlington)(Great Value!)
$94
Hotels.com
Smart Suites Burlington(South Burlington)
$108
Travelocity
$71
Green Mountain Suites Hotel(South Burlington)
$127
Official Website
All reviewsshelburne farmsgilded agelake champlaincheese makingadirondack chairsworking farmfarm to tablethere is no air conditioningstep back in timethird floorvanderbilt familycheddar cheeseglass housesummer homehiking trailsoriginal furnishingscountry home
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 26, 2010

I've stayed here many times over the years since discovering the Inn at Shelburne Farms in 1994. I've been here during every season (Fall, Spring, & Summer) and have never been disappointed. This place is a wonderful old hope (former summer Vanderbilt-Webb family member home). Each time I go, I stay in a different room (every room is unique & different). The place is wonderfully relaxing, food is great if you choose to eat in the dining room, and there's a lot to do in the area starting with a tour of the Inn's Farms & grounds. Be sure to spend a day at the Shelburne Museum (fantastic collectins of buildings and items), visit Burlington, and even the VT Wildflower Farm isn't too far away.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AmberKP
Reviewed June 21, 2010

We had a great stay at The Inn at Shelburne Farms. The Inn is a unique place because of its history as a country home for one of the Vanderbilt heirs. It provides a taste of how the aristocracy lived 100 years ago.

The grounds are beautiful, with huge green lawns sloping down to the shore of Lake Champlain, a beautiful formal garden, miles of hiking trails, roads winding through meadows and woods. The Inn has a prime location on a hill, with one side looking out toward the lake and the other side looking toward the meadows, woods, and mountains. They have preserved the old-time feel of the mansion. I liked the feeling of history around the place. A lot of the furnishings are antiques and are still in everyday use. I had the feeling of being a guest in Lila Vanderbilt Webb's home. The doors of unoccupied rooms were left open, and we had fun checking out the rooms, all of which are different. We enjoyed taking our afternoon tea into the library or out on the south porch, where we could relax and enjoy the view. Our room was very large, with a superb view of the lake. The beds were quite comfortable. We found the service to be excellent. The staff was helpful.

We had a couple of dinners and a couple of breakfasts at the Inn's restaurant. The food was uniformly very good, with lots of local ingredients featured. The tables out on the restaurant's terrace have a terrific view across the lawn and out to the lake. Some people took their cocktails out on the lawn before dinner, where they relaxed in Adirondack chairs or walked through the gardens.

We took a tour of the farm's grounds and enjoyed learning about the history and the operation of the farm. We sampled a number of the local products; the aged cheddar and blueberry jam in particular are delicious. The Inn's staff set us up with a guided early morning birdwatching walk on the farm's grounds, which was fun and different.

All in all, we had a great time staying at the Inn. It exceeded my expectations. If you're looking for a beautiful, unique, historic place in a great location, this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Saratoga2
Reviewed October 22, 2009

Highly recommended to all who seek a getaway from the hustle and bustle of city life to an elegant mansion and estate from a bygone era. The mansion still has about 70% of its original furnishings and is well decorated, clean, and comfortable. The estate's 1,400 acres are perfect for long walks, watching nature and the autumn foiliage, and picnics. Be sure to take the estate tour, visit the farm and coach barns, and stop at the gift shop for the best cheddar cheese and ham you will ever taste.

With all that being said, if you are accustomed to 5 star hotels with all the modern amenities such as whirlpool spas, flat screen TVs, wireless internet, and nightclubs, this is not the spot for you.

If you want a small taste of a 19th century country squire lifestyle, then you will not be disappointed!

I look forward to visiting again next year!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank flyhiflylow
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We visited Shelburne Farm with our three kids (all under 6) and had an amazing time! WThis is a truly beautiful and magical place. We ran around on a huge lawn overlooking the lake, swung in a discovered hammock, rowed a canoe out to a deserted beach, visited the organic farm, milked cows, caught chickens, nibbled on a picnic at the lake shore and even found a real message in a bottle washed up on the pristine sands. The rooms are period pieces and my kids loved it. The food is superb and they accommodated our family by setting our dinner for us out on a beautiful covered porch where the kids could be kids and we did not have to worry about disturbing the other guests who were enjoying the more formal dining room. The staff is top top top drawer. We travel a ton and usually stay at Four Seasons-quality places - this one takes the cake.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank missesBee
Reviewed June 7, 2009

I have to say that this was one of the most delightful experiences we have had in a long time. Shelburne Farms itself is a very special place. There are over 1400 acres of land to explore- and some beautiful hikes/walks. We felt like we took a step back over 100 years - the views were incredible and the lake setting is so beautiful. Views from the inn reminded us of Lake Como in Italy. There is the Farm Barn with a Children’s Barn (myself, my mom and my husband milked a cow and I collected eggs and held a chicken). It was very child friendly for my toddler and yet very relaxing and elegant. The farm-barn also holds the cheese making facilities where you can watch the cheese being produced at various stages of the day- the different kinds of cheddars are all absolutely delicious. They said that they produce about the same amount of cheddar in a year that Cabot produces in a day. They offer various farm tours which are very interesting and informative (not appropriate for my toddler but I took the tour with my mom and we enjoyed it). Afternoon tea is a tasty treat, which we looked forward to. The staff was lovely and made every effort to please. We really could not be more delighted. Now the rooms- they are lovely - it is like you are staying as the Vanderbilt-Webb’s did in 1895- although most rooms have bathrooms! No, it’s not the Four Seasons - but it is more charming and special. The first night was a bit cool (we felt the lack of heat but we just had lots of blankets!). They had a fire roaring in the public rooms which was lovely. Will review the restaurant separately but if you appreciate history and love natural beauty and small, sustainable farming- I would definitely go here.

The experience was elegant without being pretentious which was much appreciated!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family