“I must have missed something”
Review of Shelburne Farms

Shelburne Farms
Ranked #2 of 21 things to do in Shelburne
More attraction details
Owner description: A nonprofit organization educating for sustainability. Its campus is a 1,400-acre working farm, forest, and National Historic Landmark. Year-round walking trails and programs; seasonal inn, property tours, and children's farmyard (mid-May to mid-October)
Reviewed May 23, 2011

We went and found this stop to be average.

The cheese and spreads available in the gift shop were really good, worth stopping and getting some.

We paid to go to see the farm, the wait for the wagon was short and was a short ride to the farm. The area is very beautiful.

When we got there, we went to the cheese shop, I didn't really see anything interesting going on?? I didn't see cheese being made. They did have samples, but they had samples at the main building/gift shop. They had a small play area for kids to simulate making cheese.

We went to the woodworking shop, it was pretty minimal and mildly interesting. Not much to see.

We went to see the animals, nothing really out of the ordinary here...a few animals to see and that was it.

I gather there were other places to visit but we didn't hear about those places or figure out how to get to them so we just caught the next wagon and went back to our car.

I was kind of disappointed and if I missed something more interesting than they should be more organized because we did try to seek out information.

2  Thank Sailor77
in 12 reviews
"petting area"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed August 26, 2010

Took my preschoolers and 11 yr old son. They loved the children's farm; they milked a cow, found fresh laid eggs from henhouse and fed the goat. Saw sheep, horse and pigs with piglets. They didn't want to leave the henhouse, searching for more eggs. They were able to walk right into the henhouse and hold the chickens. Milking the cow was available at 11 am and 2 pm daily. They do have a tractor wagon ride from parking lot/gift shop to the children's farm. The cheese shop and bakery are nearby. The other buildings are only reached by foot - they are far apart and would be difficult unless you have a big stroller to carry your kids or take a guided tour for which they charge an extra fee. Unless you are the hotel guest, you cannot drive around the property. We took a short hike up to the lion's hill which had nice views but had to carry the kids part of the way... Practical accessibility is limited to the central main barnyard area due to distance of other buildings despite the hundreds of acres available on the farm. You have to pay extra to see several of the buildings as well.

2  Thank truecolors05
Reviewed August 17, 2010

A must-see, for children and adults! I got to milk a goat, meet a calf and bunny, and hug chickens! This is a great place to learn about farming life, to sample fresh cheeses and breads, and they even have a hotel! (I did not stay there). There's a tractor-powered shuttle to take you around the property, but ample walking trails through gorgeous scenery if you choose to go by foot. Spend a day here!

1  Thank VisitTravelFun
Reviewed May 17, 2010

We took our soon-to-be 3 year old to visit this farm during our vacation to Burlington. This was the highlight of our trip. It is a gorgeous farm and if you're interested in taking a beautiful hike/picnic/walk, this is the place to do it. Even if you don't have children, the beauty of the landscape is well worth the visit. It is ideal for young children....probably up to 6th grade, although my husband and I also had a great time. He milked a cow! I held a chicken! We loved it! Our son had the best time though. The animals were very friendly and put up with a lot of "loving" from the children. We stayed much longer than anticipated. I wish we lived closer so we could return. Our little one is tough to please and is very timid....but this was a place where we watched him blossom and just enjoy himself without once saying he was scared. That was probably the best part for us. It was a pleasant surprise for our whole family.

1  Thank Lindsey46